Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

What snacks or treats do you give your Sphynx?

What do you give your Sphynx for snacks?

• Greenies

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Lysine Treats

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Temptations

Votes: 33 23.2%
  • Share your snacks

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • Other (leave comment)

Votes: 51 35.9%

• Total voters

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
They eat Science Diet Grain-Free chicken in the can and kibble and when I first started them on this food, there was a treat by SD that was also in chicken and also grain-free. I used to give it to them (they loved it), then SD decided to make a somewhat different formula, new packaging and discontinued the original one! Some of my sphynx didn't like the new formula at all, while it made one or two of them vomit. So I stopped giving them treats altogether. Once in a while we'll give them something we are eating during dinner if they are hanging out at the table and the food is safe to give them. But I now use their dry food as a snack! I don't keep it out all day for grazing because I have two that have big bellies and they'd just be eating it all day long. So now I leave out dry food all night long until we wake up and it's breakfast time (canned food). If they had breakfast very early and ate every drop and it's way too early for dinner, I will put some dry food in their bowls as a snack during the day. Their stomachs are much better doing it that way.

Pierre

Lairian
I bought so many "expensive" treats, pure duck treats etc he didn't touch them, I gave them to a cat rescue in the end. He absolutely goes nutty for Dreamies! Apart from that he likes his 100% pure tuna loins as a big treat

Yoda mom

Staff member
Mine hated or puked all the grain free little bag of treats

My adoptee boy was treat for struvite crystals
- I picked up a big or science diet urinrary Hairball kibble instead of the very very expensive vet version -
Hill's® Science Diet® Adult Urinary Hairball Control - Dry

All of them love love it as a treat - train them like a dog with these I keep in a little jar -
They sit and wait for this food as treats

Amd I only use it as treats :)

Cost effective and no urinary issues -
Hill's Science Diet Adult Urinary Hairball Control Dry Cat Food, 7-lb bag - Chewy.com

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've tried to get our guys to eat those beef treats @Mal, but they wouldn't touch it.
Our boys can't have chicken or turkey...and that seems to be the only flavor of treats they ever want :(
So now their treats just consist of their regular kibble. Haha. They LOVE that :p

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Nicolemorgan Aww! I am super lucky with Pete as he does not seem to have allergies however when I fed him the Salmon Pure Bite treats his ears were developing excessive ear wax so I took him to the vet and they swabbed his ears twice but found nothing and had told them the only thing that had recently changed was I was giving him those Pure Bite Salmon treats so she said to stop them and see what happened and sure enough, no more excessive ear wax.
Pete doesn't even like the chicken ones or the lamb ones specifically only the beef liver kind and nothing else! He also gets some greenies as well here and there.

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh, I am glad to hear that the excessive wax stopped after you didn't give him the bites anymore. @Mal I guess even if it wasn't an allergy, it could be an intolerance of some sort. If Loki has any type of treats that have additives, or various protein sources, he will throw up bile a few hours later. That is why he doesn't get treats anymore, only his kibble for treats. Haha

gwee

Lairian
Koko gets organic freeze dried chicken, cooked chicken, Greenies but her fav's are Southern style BBQ peanuts (the coating)' coconut ice cream, butter, and leftover spicy lentils

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@gwee Koko's favorite snacks don't sound very healthy for a cat, let alone a sphynx. Watch out for stomach issues. I can't even give my sphynx cats regular cat treats!

Timmy & the Twins

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

Timmy & the Twins

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
P.S. love chewy.com because they ship everything (food, treats, litter, toys, etc) right to the house. No more hauling litter around the store and out to the car and then into the house!

Yoda mom

Staff member
I adopted my boy who i got treated for struvite crystals- I didn't want to give him treats while being treated. Vet wanted her m on Hills cd "prescription" food which he refused to eat .

I bought a bag of hills urinary hairball control at my local pet store -
Wow who knew they would love it as treats ! It's been 2 years and they still come running for this food as a treat.
I fill a small jar and use them as training treats too :)

I tried so many other treats they refused to eat -
So I stuck with urinary hairball food as treats - just a FYI - are large pieces )

All four adult sphynx love love these and we have been struvite crystal free for years
And no poo issues. I wasn't crazy about the ingredients but they work

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    43.3 KB · Views: 18

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Greenies! They help their teeth :) samon or catnip flavoured.
They work on dogs, they make one a day treats for dogs that look like toothbrushes. The vet was shocked at the state of the family dog's teeth. So hopefully the cat treats have the same results!

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Yoda mom what if you just gave them a little piece of chicken? It can be raw or rotisserie. I don't buy rotisserie for them but I can't eat it all myself so.....anyway if you have some leftover they really like it.