Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

What the heck is this thing?

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My first guess was a chupocabra. Or however it's spelled.

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
If I don't understand what it is I shoot it...
Feared what it was... Wtf!

What it actually is I have no idea though, but it will certainly be sorted out when it gets to the right people.
Interesting :D

Gizzymom

Banned
If I don't understand what it is I shoot it...
Feared what it was... Wtf!

What it actually is I have no idea though, but it will certainly be sorted out when it gets to the right people.
Interesting :D
Typical !! Don't know what it is??? Shoot it!! :Angry:

I think it looks like a raccoon or opossum with mange...

pooner

Banned
No idea what it is but, I am sad that the person shot it just because it was unknown :Cry:
I'd understand if it was charging at him or threatening him in some way but to shoot it just because is a little upsetting :Angry:

You sure it didn't come out of Burleson? You're in Arlington, so you may understand :) Burleson never goes well(a saying in our clinic per our clinic owner/head vet), and we say it's because Chupacabras live there. I've seen a few on the side of the road(okay... it might have been a dried up jacket in a pile, or a raccoon, but still), but they're only EVER in Burleson. LOL!

Looks like a fox or coyote with sarcoptic or demodectic mange.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I'm very curious to find out what it may be. It's sad that the guy had to shoot it!! That upsets me greatly. He could have just captured it and turned it over to authorities to figure out if it was suffering from disease or maybe its suppose to be hairless!!! To me it looks like a hairless squirrel, its hard to tell from the photos. I do not believe its a "blood sucker" tho. lol

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My guess is that it's a hairless raccoon. And although the poor creature may be diseased, it didn't do any harm. It just picked the wrong yard to pass through.

Last edited:

Gizzymom

Banned
My guess is that it's a hairless raccoon. And although the poor creature may be dieseased, it don't do any harm. It just picked the wrong yard to pass through.
True!!! And I think you are right... I can't believe I did this... but I googled photos of racoons with mange...

coon-mange.jpghairless-raccoon-chupacabra.jpg

And here is a comparison of a racoon paw with the hairless thing's paw:

Paws.jpg

Sorry... no chupacabra...:LOL:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
The mange raccoon looks all scabby and rough, this animal had skin that seemed healthy just hairless. Maybe it was a hairless raccoon!!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

Gizzymom

Banned
The mange raccoon looks all scabby and rough, this animal had skin that seemed healthy just hairless. Maybe it was a hairless raccoon!!
No clue... maybe different type of mange?? But also... the original "animal's" skin does look bumpy and pitted with little chunks out of his ears...:Dizzy:

spygirl

Banned
To me, it looks more possum than raccoon. There was a stray dog running loose in the area who looked like a hairless greyhound. I can't remember what kind of mange it ended up having, but it's skin looks similar to the unknown creature's skin.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yup it looks like a "possum to me too. Mange makes the skin look awful. This must be a hairless critter.:Smile:

Shell_Baby

Lairian
I live in Kentucky, and game, fish & parks is saying it is a raccoon or possum with sarcoptic mange (they are doing DNA testing for conformation on species and disease). I personally think it's a raccoon, and I'm surprised it lasted this long with the temps we've been having - in the teens -our temp right now is 17*. The poor thing must have been freezing :Sad:

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Not to be silly, but perhaps it's a hairless raccoon. I mean- really- if we can naturally have had naked cats and dogs pop up in the gene pool, couldn't there be a freak of a naked coon or something?

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Score one for me! Hee hee! I said that after seeing the foot photos and then someone mentioned it had nice skin, so I thought hmmm... ;)