Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

What the heck is this????

LJH

Lairian
Hi there,
I bought my kitten from another state. She just arrived yesterday and ImI prettyI concerned and unhappy honestly. I've never seen anything like this. I brought her to the
20180301_152534.jpg
vet and she didn't know what it is any ideas?

Attachments

admin

Administrator
Staff member

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Did your vet check for ringworm? It can look a bit different on Sphynx. We rescued a girl once and it looked like spots on her, not rings especially the older spots. If it is ringworm it is contagious to humans. Are there any spots that still have a scab on top of them? @LJH

LJH

Lairian
Did your vet check for ringworm? It can look a bit different on Sphynx. We rescued a girl once and it looked like spots on her, not rings especially the older spots. If it is ringworm it is contagious to humans. Are there any spots that still have a scab on top of them? @LJH
There were scabs on the top of her head but those are gone now. I used that anti-bac shampoo today.... M.... Starts with an M on her today and the spots didn't budge. It really is upsetting!

Thanks for all the support, it means a lot. They didn' ccheck for ringworm

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I’d see if your vet would do a quick check. Usually they have a black light they shine on it. Unfortunately the light only reveals 50% of the time, so they might do a skin scrape to be sure. But if you look at the spots on the neck to me they almost look like old rings. They can leave scarring where the spots were. You saying there were recently scabs, it could be ringworm. Many vets are not used to seeing what ringworm can look like on a hairless cat. Our vet at that time missed it. It wasn’t until I got a ring on my shoulder 2 weeks after we got her that we put 2 and 2 together. Please update us @LJH

LJH

Lairian
I’d see if your vet would do a quick check. Usually they have a black light they shine on it. Unfortunately the light only reveals 50% of the time, so they might do a skin scrape to be sure. But if you look at the spots on the neck to me they almost look like old rings. They can leave scarring where the spots were. You saying there were recently scabs, it could be ringworm. Many vets are not used to seeing what ringworm can look like on a hairless cat. Our vet at that time missed it. It wasn’t until I got a ring on my shoulder 2 weeks after we got her that we put 2 and 2 together. Please update us @LJH

Great advice. Thank you

Yoda mom

Staff member
@LJH . We are here for you - welcoming you and your baby to the lair family
What's your babies name?
So sorry you are and her are dealing with this

I would definitely do a follow up vet wellness check
You could also ask to rule out yeast or bacterial thing going on?
the vet may want to do a skin scraping
I would ask to rule out ring worm , Uticara Pigmentosa or yeast or bacterial ?

Does your contract for her state any clauses for a wellness check in a certain number of days?

We are here for you
We all come together here in this fun friendly bunch for the love of sphynx

Will be checking in frequently for updates

If you have other pets , I would definitely keep separated till you have a diagnosis to play it safe

When I first met Dmitri, he had ringworm with raised, round spots on his back and head, some of which had crusting on them. By the time I brought him home, treatment had cleared him of the fungus, but he still had round, pigmented marks for a while. These eventually faded and went away.

Your kitten's "spots" look a lot like Dmitri's ringworm, so I definitely agree with everyone who advised to bring her to the vet and have a skin scrape and fungal culture done. The good news is that if it is ringworm, while it's irritating and kinda gross looking, it's not dangerous and it won't make your kitten feel sick. The bad news is that ringworm is contagious to other cats, dogs and people, and you usually have to treat for 2-4 months before complete resolution.

Here are several photos of Dmitri when I first brought him home. All of the "spots" that you see are healed ringworm lesions.

IMG_8684.jpg IMG_8620.jpg IMG_8605.jpg IMG_8588.jpg

LJH

Lairian
Hey everyone, THANK YOU! I would have never thought of ringworm, and sure enough! She lit up light a Christmas tree. To be honest I'm REALLY WORRIED and pretty upset. I have kids and other pets! I have her on dips and caneston and imflamol.
Her name is Pam by the way. How on earth am I supposed to keep my family and other pets from getting this? $2500 cat with ringworm..... Can you imagine?!

LJH

Lairian
You were right. And seriously, thank you, I would have never thought that as it looks so different!

Oof! I'm sorry to hear it's ringworm, though I'm glad you have your answer.

If you can, I would probably keep Pam separate from your other pets until she's ringworm free. I would also ask all family members to wash their hands and arms after handling her, and possibly change clothes if she was sitting on their lap. Fortunately, cats don't carry the same species of ringworm that we humans get most commonly, and most cases of human ringworm are contracted from other humans (we have our very own species of ringworm that only likes to live on people). We are actually, by and large, fairly resistant to infection by the species cats carry. That being said, my own personal experience is that resistance varies from individual to individual. Some people can rub a ringworm positive cat over their bodies and never develop a lesion. Other people, if a ringworm positive cat looks at them from across the room, they'll get it.

If any human does develop a ringworm lesion, I've found rubbing Tinactin on them usually clears them up pretty well. You also want to keep them covered with something like a band-aid to limit spread.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Thanks for updating us and you are more than welcome. That’s why this community is so awesome, lots of experienced members who know things can look a bit different with a hairless cat. Bet your vet was shocked lol. You will get it under control. Be sure everyone washes their hands frequently and use antibacterial wipes on surfaces etc if you can keep her in a separate room as mentioned it really helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@LJH . We are here for you - welcoming you and your baby to the lair family
What's your babies name?
So sorry you are and her are dealing with this

I would definitely do a follow up vet wellness check
You could also ask to rule out yeast or bacterial thing going on?
the vet may want to do a skin scraping
I would ask to rule out ring worm , Uticara Pigmentosa or yeast or bacterial ?

Does your contract for her state any clauses for a wellness check in a certain number of days?

We are here for you
We all come together here in this fun friendly bunch for the love of sphynx

Will be checking in frequently for updates

If you have other pets , I would definitely keep separated till you have a diagnosis to play it safe

Well said yodamom!

Hey everyone, THANK YOU! I would have never thought of ringworm, and sure enough! She lit up light a Christmas tree. To be honest I'm REALLY WORRIED and pretty upset. I have kids and other pets! I have her on dips and caneston and imflamol.
Her name is Pam by the way. How on earth am I supposed to keep my family and other pets from getting this? $2500 cat with ringworm..... Can you imagine?!

Yup. I would be upset as well. They need to make sure and treat the other sphynx kittens for it. I would certainly reach out to the breeder and update them on the situation so they can help the other kitties. Gosh that’s irritating. Feeling like you got to keep Pam separate from the kids and other animals right when you Bring her home. Uuuuuuuuggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that’s annoying. Even when I have small kids over to my house (not very often) and I’m scared a kid may be rough with my cat (I’d have to put a dang kid in the microwave!!!) Bahahahaha. Just kidding. But when small kids are here I usually lock Gretta and Myrtle in my bedroom and it breaks my heart Locking them up so I can understand your frustration.