Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

annaesmee

Lairian
Morning!

My husband and I are picking up our *first* Sphynx kitten at the beginning of December. She'll be 13 weeks when we get her. I've been reading up on here and in a couple of books about what to expect and prepare for, but haven't come across what to do when going away for a couple of days to visit family.

We live in London but both sides of our family live about 3.5 hours car drive away in the Midlands. Over Christmas we usually drive back Christmas eve and come back to London the day after Boxing Day.

All our friends also travel home for Christmas so we don't have anyone nearby who can pop in. Also not wanting to leave our new kitten alone at home or in a cattery as she'll still be so new to us.

We'll be staying at my husband's mum's place for the 3 nights we're home and she'll be fine with us bringing our kitten but she already has 2 adult male cats.

Is this something other people have experienced? Would it be ok for us to bring our new kitten with us to a house with 2 established adult male cats for 3 days? Would it be a good idea to setup our kitten with her own room while we're there?

Any help appreciated!

Anna

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
How exciting. Here is thread you might find helpful. New Kitten Dilemma

It can be stressful on them. Some cats do fine, but most stress. If you do take your baby, definitely keep in a separate room. You still gave plenty of time to perhaps look for a cat sitter.

Patti

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I think if you don't have friends available to pop by while you are away. Taking her with you to your parents is the best option. I would set her up in a spare bedroom or the room you are staying in with a bunch of her blankets from home and favourite toys. Bring her litter box and enough things to make her room feel like home and keep her seperated from the other cats. It's always best to make introductions over time and supervised and not to rush it. So keeping her on her own would be best and at least you have the peace of mind knowing she is ok and with you guys while away from home.

annaesmee

Lairian
I think if you don't have friends available to pop by while you are away. Taking her with you to your parents is the best option. I would set her up in a spare bedroom or the room you are staying in with a bunch of her blankets from home and favourite toys. Bring her litter box and enough things to make her room feel like home and keep her seperated from the other cats. It's always best to make introductions over time and supervised and not to rush it. So keeping her on her own would be best and at least you have the peace of mind knowing she is ok and with you guys while away from home.

Absolutely, I wouldn't feel right leaving her in someone else's house around other animals/people with her being so young! This is really useful thank you - will make sure we bring lots of her things with her to make her as comfortable as possible :)

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Morning!

My husband and I are picking up our *first* Sphynx kitten at the beginning of December. She'll be 13 weeks when we get her. I've been reading up on here and in a couple of books about what to expect and prepare for, but haven't come across what to do when going away for a couple of days to visit family.

We live in London but both sides of our family live about 3.5 hours car drive away in the Midlands. Over Christmas we usually drive back Christmas eve and come back to London the day after Boxing Day.

All our friends also travel home for Christmas so we don't have anyone nearby who can pop in. Also not wanting to leave our new kitten alone at home or in a cattery as she'll still be so new to us.

We'll be staying at my husband's mum's place for the 3 nights we're home and she'll be fine with us bringing our kitten but she already has 2 adult male cats.

Is this something other people have experienced? Would it be ok for us to bring our new kitten with us to a house with 2 established adult male cats for 3 days? Would it be a good idea to setup our kitten with her own room while we're there?

Any help appreciated!

Anna
Hi there
Do you think maybe pick your baby up after the holidays then you can settle her in one place and she won’t be going to different houses
I think maybe this would be best but that’s just my opinion because. She won’t get confused
Hugs
Anita & Cleo xxx
Ps we have a holiday place just 2 hours away we take Cleo with us we let sit on our laps but she vomits every time ,
We don’t really feed her before the journey but maybe the girls could advise on say travel sickness pills ??

Back