Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
We get this question quite a bit here on Sphynxlair so I figured we would compile some useful information, a check list if you will for a first time sphynx buyer or even an existing sphynx parent looking to get another sphynx cat or kitten. All of these items listed below aren't necessarily deal breakers, but most of these are good buying practices to ensure a healthy sphynx cat or kitten as well as to protect you and the breeder.

1.) Most recommend going to a breeder that scans for HCM (Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.) The recommended scanning interval for a breeding pair is once EVERY year, as it shows they are investing in their bloodlines and trying to eliminate future heart issues in their program...and can provide scans upon request. In the past year some breeders are also doing DNA testing as well, but there are other reasons for heart disease that are not genetic, but DNA testing adds another layer that a breeder is investing in their bloodlines.

2.) 12-14 weeks of age is recommended to go to their forever home.

3.) They have a contract that covers the kittens as well as the breeder.

4.) Forms of payment are diverse and not just cash/money order. (NEVER! Western Union money!)

5.) Average cost of a kitten with papers (registered) is $1800.00 - $2500.00 depending on the quality. Without papers is usually less but I would recommend you ONLY buy from a reputable breeder with the proper papers and documents.

6.) Breeders should allow you to visit their home, and not just in a parking lot or remote location. However it's not uncommon that a reputable breeder will not allow visitors into their catteries or home until their kitten's immune systems are properly developed.

7.) Guidelines are given about spaying/neutering. It's not uncommon that some breeders will spay/ neuter before you take the kitten home.

8.) Will provide health records at time of pickup or in a reasonable time frame thereafter.

9.) Breeder has open communication with you and responds to questions in a reasonable period of time (a couple of days.)

10.) Breeder will share a few pics (it never seems often enough) but they do update under most circumstances.

11.) Not every breeder can please every buyer, so be sure to check to see if there are any repetitive complaints against the cattery/breeder - just Google the breeders cattery name, this is usually sufficient enough to find information on that person or their cattery.

A registered cat breeder MUST have a prefix, which is the name the cattery has registered with the appropriate cat council. If a breeder cannot provide you with their registered name AND the cat council who holds the registration, they are either a backyard breeder and/or they are scamming you. All sorts of paperwork accompany a responsibly bred purebred cat, but what most people mean when most people say a cat “has papers” they mean registration papers issued by a cat registry. Some people also mean that the cat has a pedigree, which is simply a family tree showing the cat's ancestors.

Some of the more well-known cat councils include:

• CFA (Cat Fanciers Association)
  • TICA (The International Cat Association)
  • GCCF (Governing Council of the Cat Fancy)
  • WCF (World Cat Federation)
  • FIFe (Fédération Internationale Féline)
Australia:

• ACF (Australian Cat Federation)
  • NSWCFA (New South Wales Cat Fanciers Association)
  • ANCATS (Australian National Cats Inc.)
  • QFA (Queensland Feline Association)
12.) Some breeders have applications as they want to make sure their babies go to good homes.

13.) Look at the warranty/contract - a great standard is the cat/kitten is guaranteed against congenital defects up until it’s 1 year old. Should it die within this time due to a congenital defect the kitten/cat will be replaced by one of the same quality and value when next available, only if necropsy has been performed and a certificate from your vet is provided as proof of the cause of death. Kitten is guaranteed for 14 days against feline viruses/diseases.

14.) Usually, their contract has a clause that a cat cannot be resold or rehomed w/o the breeder’s consent or first option to take back the cat or kitten.

15.) If you can visit, is the environment clean? Are the cat’s eyes clear, do they have a runny nose? Bottoms clean and overall weight of cat/kitten looks good?

16.) Have in their contract that a kitten must be vet checked within 72 hours of you getting it.

17.) Most breeders have an extensive contract that mentions no declawing in it.

18.) Ask your breeder about vaccines and see if they are knowledgeable about them. Most breeders state in their contract that it may void the contract if the FIP and FeLV vaccinations are given by your vet or any other entity.

19.) Above all trust your gut...if something feels wrong there is a reason. The quick "deal" is a red flag.

20.) If the price is too good there is a reason. If it feels too good to be true...it is!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lady isla

Lairian
Thank you for all the information. I am doing my best to keep them apart, but the connection they have in undeniable, not just him wanting to mate, he hasn’t tried that yet (to my knowledge), but her, she looks and cry’s for him and they cuddle and hug. I am so completely in love with my new bald babies.
Khal Drogo came over from Romania, I have his passport, health certificate, and will be calling his vet tomorrow to have them send all his records over to our vet. I want to do the right and best thing for all of us. If that means having him neutered than I will, but I am living on SSDI, so if I could make some money studying him out, that would be awesome, and to waste such a gift seems crazy. I however, will love and care for both of them as long as I am able, and if I become unable, my daughter will love and care for them, they are members of the family, and although Wensdae loves my Dachshund (Igor), Drogo and Igor didn’t have such a great introduction. Igor is blind and when he went to say hello, he nosed Drogo right in the balls, kinda hard, the poor boy cried out, but he is slowly forgiving Igor I think because he got right up onto the bed with us this evening and curled up right next to Igor, I was very pleased. Thank you again for your info. Blessed be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Lady isla there are more reasons to neuter than not. I think just knowing it will increase his lifespan is a huge one Should I spay or neuter my sphynx cat?

It is not inexpensive to breed and you would never want the reputation of being a backyard breeder. If you were wanting to stud him out only a reputable breeder would allow you to do this if you HCM scan every year. Scanning can cost more than neutering your boy. You also would need to have contracts drawn up to protect your boy and yourself between you and the person who has a queen. Not to mention your boy would be coming into contact with other cats that you have no idea about and open things up to a load of possible issues ranging from URIs to ringworm etc. You actually would be putting your boy and the kitten at risk. Just lots to think about.

Just a heads up the pic of registration was removed as breeder/cattery names are not allowed in the public areas.

Lady isla

Lairian
Sorry about the upload, I didn’t know. I have an appointment on 11/10 to bring him in for neutering. They had a cancelation and when I told them about living with his daughter, they thought it best we do is ASAP and I agree. It makes me a little sad, but I know it is the best decision. Thank you for the advice... I gave Drogo his first bath ( with me) today, I was a little nervous, but he was awesome. He didn’t enjoy it, but he never scratched or even try to scratch or bite, and as we cuddled and dried, he started purrrring and loved me again. Wensdae was next, she fought more, but was still a good girl, and they both love it when I rub them down with Coconut oil.... I’m a happy Sphinx Mama.
Blessed be

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry about the upload, I didn’t know. I have an appointment on 11/10 to bring him in for neutering. They had a cancelation and when I told them about living with his daughter, they thought it best we do is ASAP and I agree. It makes me a little sad, but I know it is the best decision. Thank you for the advice... I gave Drogo his first bath ( with me) today, I was a little nervous, but he was awesome. He didn’t enjoy it, but he never scratched or even try to scratch or bite, and as we cuddled and dried, he started purrrring and loved me again. Wensdae was next, she fought more, but was still a good girl, and they both love it when I rub them down with Coconut oil.... I’m a happy Sphinx Mama.
Blessed be

Kudos to you. You will have no regrets and in the meantime keep them separated. Also want to give a friendly reminder to tell your vet not to use Ketamine as for an anesthesia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lady isla

Lairian
Thanks, I didn’t know that, but I wrote it down and put it in his file... may I ask why not? Is it something specific to the Sphinx breed?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Lady isla , kudos to you for scheduling the neuter appointment. the boys bounce back quick. my boy rested for the night he came home. I kept him separated. be sure to ask the vet how many days to keep them apart after the neuter.

so glad the spa days went well.. hugs n head smooches. keep us updated :)

No ketamine anesthesia because it can have a rebound effect on the heart if there is an unknown underlying heart condition. I ask my vet ahead of time if they use isoflurane/propofol anesthesia, and anticipated after care. my Toby slept the first night home and was moving about the next day.

look forward to pics of your sweeties!

Sheldon13

Staff member
Just to add in...

Ketamine really should not be used in any cats. At all. Ever. HCM and other heart issues are a possibility in every cat, not just the breeds prone to them.

Most vets will recommend you keep the neutered cat separated for up to 8 weeks. They can be fertile for 4-8 weeks after neuter and may have hormonal desires even longer than that.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Sheldon13

Staff member
You could put pants on him. He’ll hate it. And it’s still not a guarantee. And I still wouldn’t leave them together unsupervised. But you could try it.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

MarieNCat

Lairian
We get this question quite a bit here on Sphynxlair so I figured we would compile some useful information, a check list if you will for a first time sphynx buyer or even an existing sphynx parent looking to get another sphynx cat or kitten. All of these items listed below aren't necessarily deal breakers, but most of these are good buying practices to ensure a healthy sphynx cat or kitten as well as to protect you and the breeder. :)

(Thanks @Catzzzmeow for putting this together.)

1.) Most recommend going to a breeder that scans for HCM (Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.) The recommended scanning interval for a breeding pair is once EVERY year, as it shows they are investing in their bloodlines and trying to eliminate future heart issues in their program...and can provide scans upon request.

2.) 12-14 weeks of age is recommended to go to their forever home.

3.) They have a contract that covers the kittens as well as the breeder.

4.) Forms of payment are diverse and not just cash/money order. (NEVER! Western Union money!)

5.) Average cost of a kitten with papers (registered) is $1800.00 - $2300.00 Without papers is usually less but I would recommend you ONLY buy from a reputable breeder with the proper papers and documents.

6.) Breeders should allow you to visit their home, and not just in a parking lot or remote location. However it's not uncommon that a reputable breeder will not allow visitors into their catteries or home until their kitten's immune systems are properly developed.

7.) Guidelines are given about spaying/neutering. It's not uncommon that some breeders will spay/ neuter before you take the kitten home.

8.) Will provide health records at time of pickup or in a reasonable time frame thereafter.

9.) Breeder has open communication with you and responds to questions in a reasonable period of time (a couple of days.)

10.) Breeder will share a few pics (it never seems often enough) but they do update under most circumstances.

11.) Not every breeder can please every buyer, so be sure to check to see if there are any repetitive complaints against the cattery/breeder - just Google the breeders cattery name, this is usually sufficient enough to find information on that person or their cattery.

a.)
A registered cat breeder MUST have a prefix, which is the name the cattery has registered with the appropriate cat council. If a breeder can not provide you with their registered name AND the cat council who holds the registration, they are either a backyard breeder and/or they are scamming you. All sorts of paperwork accompanies a responsibly bred purebred cat, but what most people mean when most people say a cat “has papers” they mean registration papers issued by a cat registry. Some people also mean that the cat has a pedigree, which is simply a family tree showing the cat's ancestors.

Some of the more well-known cat councils include:
  • CFA (Cat Fanciers Association)
  • TICA (The International Cat Association)
  • GCCF (Governing Council of the Cat Fancy)
  • WCF (World Cat Federation)
  • FIFe (Fédération Internationale Féline)
Australia:
  • ACF (Australian Cat Federation)
  • NSWCFA (New South Wales Cat Fanciers Association)
  • ANCATS (Australian National Cats Inc.)
  • QFA (Queensland Feline Association)
12.) Some breeders have applications as they want to make sure their babies go to good homes.

13.) Look at the warranty - a great standard is the cat/kitten is guaranteed against congenital defects up until it’s 1 year old. Should it die within this time due to a congenital defect the kitten/cat will be replaced by one of the same quality and value when next available, only if necropsy has been preformed and a certificate from your vet is provided as proof of the cause of death. Kitten is guaranteed for 14 days against feline viruses/diseases.

14.) Usually their contract has a clause that a cat cannot be resold or rehomed w/o the breeders consent or first option to take back the cat or kitten.

15.) If you can visit, is the environment clean? Are the cats eyes clear, do they have a runny nose? Bottoms clean and overall weight of cat/kitten looks good?

16.) Have in their contract that a kitten must be vet checked within 72 hours of you getting it.

17.) Most breeders have an extensive contract that mentions no declawing in it.

18.) Ask your breeder about vaccines and see if they are knowledgeable about them. Most breeders state in their contract that it may void the contract if the FIP and FeLV vaccinations are given by your vet or any other entity.

19.) Above all trust your gut...if something feels wrong there is a reason. The quick "deal" is a red flag.

20.) If the price is too good there is a reason. If it feels too good to be true...it is!
Thank you for the information.. it is very helpful for next I try to purchase another sphynx kitten.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Our breeder has we should NOT give the following 2 vaccinations and our vet agrees:

FIV (Feline Immunodeficiency Virus – aka “feline AIDS”),

FIP (Feline Infectious Peritonitis)

@Ailin

Back