Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

What to think....

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have a vet who I like very much and I trust her. She has had surgery and will be off for a few months.

My Raphael goes to the vet every month to have her toe nails cut. I have recently changed her eating where I feed her less dental dry food and more high fibre wet and dry. She has anal gland issues and quite often has to have her glands expressed so today when I brought her to get her toe nails cut I asked that the vet check her teeth and her anal glands. My vet is away so I saw a new vet (at the same clinic). I am so confused. This different vet found all kinds of things wrong with my kitty. She suggested that her nails looked like she could have a fungus. She told me a different way to clean ears than my regular vet. She did an ear swab and says my cat has a mild ear infection. And she suggested that my kitty could have food allergies (even though I buy all of her food from the vet clinic and it was the food recommended by my normal vet). So I have come home with ear drops, a different way to clean ears, and suggestions on what to do with her toe nails. Plus a bill of over $100. (I have a plan with them where I pay monthly so nail cutting, check ups, vaccines are all free.)

I don't know what to think. I like my regular vet but don't know if I should dismiss what this vet said. In July at Raphael's annual check up (blood work etc) everything came back healthy. I can't help but feel it is a money grab. Mine is not the only Sphynx that my vet sees so I trust she knows what she is doing.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Annejo12 awhhh hugs .... sounds like the last line " mine is not the only sphynx that my vet sees " so i trust she knows what she is doing " is a go with your gut in my opinion...

hopeful your regular vet will be back soon ... fwiw.. I have experienced the same ... sphynx ears and nails are different than fur kitties.. perhaps new vet wasnt as familiar with sphynx?
Head smooches to Raphael sounds like she had a recent clean bill of health in her July blood work and checkup which is a good thing :)
curious waht ear drops and nail suggestions were given?

Sheldon13

Staff member
I don’t know whether to say it is a money grab or not, but speaking from experience I would go with the vet who KNOWS your animal well. They have been seeing your kitty for some time no doubt, and they know what the norms are for her body. I’d trust my old vet first. I would also just go back to the way they had me doing it before. Keep an eye on the ears. I’m guessing they aren’t infected, just gross gunky like Sphynx ears can get, and this new vet doesn’t know Sphynxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CathyO

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yeah, doesn’t seem like the vet knows much about sphynxes. When I was vet shopping I’ve always casually asked if s/he’s had any other sphynx patients. It takes a few tries to find a good fit vet so if your sched allows stick with your orig vet.

Curious to know too what the other vet recommended for ear/nail cleaning and how...

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks for the responses. My regular vet will be back in a few months.

My regular vet says it is ok to clean ears with q-tips because the shape of their ears doesn't damage the ear drums. This vet said to not use q-tips. I never stick the q-tips deep in her ears. I use them on the surface where you can see the ear gunk in the creases.

She suggested I clean her nails with an anti-fungal cream but then don't let her lick her toes. My regular vet checks her nails monthly and has never said anything about fungus.

Anyway, you all know what it is like. You trust the professionals and start to second guess yourself. Raphael is her usual happy self so I'm not going to worry. She is sleeping on me so I can't get up to get the name of the ear drops. I'll get it later.

Thanks everyone

Sheldon13

Staff member
My regular vet says it is ok to clean ears with q-tips because the shape of their ears doesn't damage the ear drums. This vet said to not use q-tips. I never stick the q-tips deep in her ears. I use them on the surface where you can see the ear gunk in the creases.

Sphynx eats are gooky. Lol. Probably just doesn’t know this. And your original vet it right, it’s nearly impossible to injure using a qtip because the angle of the ear canal doesn’t allow it. So you can feel comfortable putting it inside a little. Just don’t press down hard and dig around. That would hurt anybody!

She suggested I clean her nails with an anti-fungal cream but then don't let her lick her toes. My regular vet checks her nails monthly and has never said anything about fungus.

I’m thinking new vet just saw the discoloration caused by body oils of a Sphynx and didn’t know what to make of it. This is also normal for a Sphynx.

I don’t like your temporary vet...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Sorry the temporary vet is making you second guess. Sounds like your regular vet knows a lot about sphynxs. If you trust that vet, I would follow your gut and go with what the regular vet always said

Back