Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

What type of litter do you use ?

What type of litter do you use?

• Clumping Clay

Votes: 39 66.1%
  • Pine

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Non-clumping clay

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Wheat

• Corn

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Silica gel crystals

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Walnut shells

• Recycled paper

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other...please share

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Grass Litter

• Total voters

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Peewee wood pellet thingy's for her peewee EcoDome
PeeWeePellets.png PeeWeeBox.pngPeeweeExpenation.png
Works very well for our little one, goes a long way (time based) and little to no smell. Yay!
Edit: assuming that's not the same as pine. I'll have to google pine. o_o
Edit 2: peewee looks aaaaaaaaaa lot like pine, so changed my vote to pine ^_^

Last edited:

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My boys however spend 10 minutes digging in it, that I could do without :mad:

I know the digging problem, though the digging here is awkward-ish.
For some reason she also taps the sides of her box inside. I already checked her paws several times, nothing stays stuck or such. And she doesn't do it when she goes in (occasionally she things it's more to take out and play then to litter :|) so not sure why she does it lol but god at night in an studio. The horror! :ROFLMAO:

Yoda mom

Staff member
Fresh for life odor destroyer unscented clumping in the black and gold bag only ( petsupermarket )not in the buckets ..it's not the same .)

Got this when they were out of dr elseys unscented clumping

Wow it's a dupe and doesn't stick to the bottom or sides of the box!
With sales etc about 8.99 to 14.99 is regular price
about $4 + less Per bag
In case someone is looking for a dupe of dr elseys

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    105 KB · Views: 65

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Dr. Elsey's Kitten Attract Litter

I didn't vote because I don't know what category it falls into, but it's the tits! Maybe it's non-clay clumping?

Only con is that I wish the box came with a more secure lid/closure. I keep the box stored in my laundry room, but every once in a while, if Kenzo finds a way to get in there, he will hop on top of the box, jam his little naked arm into the cardboard flap, and scoop out litter by the paw-ful like a madman until I catch him. :meh::shifty:

@Yoda mom Thanks for that tip! I noticed Dr. Elsey's was getting harder to find on Amazon the last month. I may give that one a go as well.

Brianne

Lairian
So Ive tried everything from clay to corn and I have to say the best natural budget friendly litter so far is Naturally Fresh Walnut-Based Ultra odor control Multi-Cat Quick-clumping cat litter - say that 5 times fast :)

My litter "must haves" include: Odor control, low dust, good clumping and most importantly, low tracking. Walnut multi cat scored the highest on all of these factors. I must point out that I only have one sphynx and I use a top entry litter box. Now I will break down each factor:

Odor control: 4.5 of 5 - I only have one cat but since buying this litter her smelly poops are virtually a thing of the past! Although its not 100% it is the best out of all the natural litter Ive tried.

Dust: 3.5 out of 5 - even when I used the non clumping litter my kitty still had dust on her paws. The same goes with this litter but its the least out of the clumping varieties. You don't get any dust while scooping and that is a plus.

Clumping: 5 out of 5 - Best clumping natural litter I have tried! Very fast and efficient!

Tracking: 3.5 out of 5 - As far as natural clumping litters this one has the lowest tracking rate. Even the non clumping litter would somehow find its way out of the box! The walnut multi cat doesn't track too badly but it does stick a little to kitties feet. I have found a top entry box and a litter mat helps a lot with this problem.

I am a fan of natural litters and tried almost everyone one of them when I got my new kitten. Here we are 6 months later and Im so happy to have found an all natural, clumping, low odor litter thats fits my budget!

Jackolyn

Lairian
Peewee wood pellet thingy's for her peewee EcoDome
View attachment 87928 View attachment 87929View attachment 87930
Works very well for our little one, goes a long way (time based) and little to no smell. Yay!
Edit: assuming that's not the same as pine. I'll have to google pine. o_o
Edit 2: peewee looks aaaaaaaaaa lot like pine, so changed my vote to pine ^_^

I use Wood/Pine pellets as well! That litter box looks absolutely amazing, but $198 for a litter box seems like a bit much - is it worth it?
My girl has open litter boxes right now, but I've been debating getting a cover for them. Any problems with that box? I would definately love to invest in it if only to make clean-up a lot easier.

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Jackolyn I almost shocked in my drink. They ask how much there for one?!!
And is that the ecohouse (smaller) or the ecodome (bigger)
We went for the ecodome and paid about 60 euro (shipping included - so about 90 CAD) although the normal price floats around 71 euro (about 107 CAD)
So you're almost getting charged double for one? That's insane! That's nutterbutters!
I already thought 90 CAD was fairly much but for us personally it turned out to be worth it and with us I mean me cause I pretty much always do the litter box lol.
(Used google currency thingy)

A bag if peewee pine lasts me about (3 kilogram/5 liter one, the smallest they have = 6 euro or approx 9 CAD) hmm 4 weeks and counting. We're still and only busy at our first bag so I'll need more time to kinda have a true estimate (+ it might shorten when she grows)
A little less then half the bag we could use for 3 weeks with only scooping out the big duty.
So I can ignore the little duty, I do scoop after every big duty though. It's just an habbit. Sometimes the big duty is smelly for a few seconds but it dies down very fast and it's only when her bowels go a bit weird. Otherwise I don't sense much big duty smell.
I never once had her little duty smell. Assuming that has a smell too, right? So that gets cleaned out when the down box is fully full.
So it seems and feels less wasteful but I never had a cat, she's my very first cat (oh yeah I went straight for the right breed!) so I have nothing to reference or compare to then here and now *blush*
(Did had ferrets, we used litter for them just grind litter but I don't feel I can really compare these two breeds)

For us personally at the moment the a downside is that well we had to take the lid where she should walk through off. She doesn't mind the cover, but just not the door lol. Maybe cause she's still a baby..?
an other downside is when you still have pines in the upper tub and you need to empty the lower tub it can get a tiny bit messy but hey it's vacuumed up fast enough and for that little pinedust loss every 3 weeks or so so I'm not going to complain that I have to drag that sucking monster out for an extra few minutes to clean that up.
What did surprise me is that she comes from clump grind and didn't had any issue to go right on the pine. So either super lucky there or...

It's hard to say knowing the price there yes just go for it.
I like the box a lot but I'm not sure if it's truly worth double the amount then what I know I paid for it. :sorry:
For me (very) personally, I find them very worth it. But I know they have negative feedback as well.
It's a risk if you buy one with a chance if it doesn't work out... :oops:

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Smart cat is what we use. ZERO dust and clumps great. Love it.

I used to buy SmartCat but I tried the Drs Foster and Smith and I believe it's the SAME EXACT THING. I would bet anything that Drs Foster and Smith are just packaging SmartCat in their own bag and putting their name on it. Drs Foster and Smith have the name recognition which SmartCat does not. If you check out their website, they carry a ton of stuff and I don't think they manufacture any of it. It's just a pet products store.

Here's the best part, it's cheaper from Drs Foster and Smith than Chewy's or Amazon. I don't know about you but I can't even find it locally so I was having to order it online. How ironic that both of those giant marketplaces are SUPPOSED to be low price leaders, but this is what happens when you have (1) a niche product and (2) a distribution channel that everybody flocks to.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We used corn clumping litter. I cannot use clay as it gives Wolfgang sinus infections. I have used swheat scoop and the walnut litter but keep coming back to corn.

assibassi

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I use Wood/Pine pellets as well! That litter box looks absolutely amazing, but $198 for a litter box seems like a bit much - is it worth it?
My girl has open litter boxes right now, but I've been debating getting a cover for them. Any problems with that box? I would definately love to invest in it if only to make clean-up a lot easier.

Make your own box, we did. We bought a big plastic container with lid, cut a nice entree in on the front . Storage container, I would say 2 feet deep and more then a foot high.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

Make your own box, we did. We bought a big plastic container with lid, cut a nice entree in on the front . Storage container, I would say 2 feet deep and more then a foot high.
Hey there - is that a cornish or a devon in your picture? I always wondered, do they need baths just like sphynx or are they like furry cats?

4Beans

Lairian
We use Yesterday’s News which is all natural recycled newspaper pellets. Super easy to scoop, no tracking, good odour control for urine, cheap and not dust.

Kicsi mommy

Lairian
We have the cat genie and it uses washable pellets. We love it the cats love it and it’s clean. The litter box sits between the sink and toilet for us. You can put them anywhere you have water and a drain. The box automatically sanitizes and dries the litter after each use. We have been using it for a little more than a year and the only drawback is the time it takes to clean is about 45 minutes from start to finish. However the box is clean and fresh and warm so our little boy has learned to trigger the box and wait until it’s done so he has a nice warm sauna to lounge in. We add pellets about every other month and change the sanitizer after 240 cycles which depends upon how many times Bebush decides the bed is not good enough for him to lounge on but usually about every two to three months.

Back