Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

What type of litter?

bellasmom

Banned
I am new and I am sure this has already been talked about however looking at the recent threads I didnt really see anything. What is the best litter to cover that awful poo smell!!??:Dizzy: I have been buying boxes of baking soda at the Dollar Store for about 50 cents a box and putting a whole box down in each litter box. Then cover it with Arm & Hammers new double duty cover the smell urine and feces and THEN put Arm & Hammers essentials (that stuff smells pretty good for litter:Smile:) on top of that! It works for about a day and then as soon as a kitty goes #2 I have to scoop it right away or the whole house stinks! I change the boxes once a week and this is getting expensive! What is everyone else using??

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I use "Swheat Scoop" and I really like it. It tracks a little, but I have yet to find a litter that doesn't. I think it does cut down on the smell a little but if your kitty reeks that bad, look at the food you are feeding. Stinky poos can be a sign of food intolerance. I would put car air fresheners in the area & scoop immediately. :BigSmile:

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Search and thou shall find. (other threads with many answeres about litter)
:Wink:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
My breeder uses Swheat Scoop and swears by it.

I use Tidy cats non clumping,,however, I'm home all day and able to scoop as soon as someone goes so this works for me. I scoop the boxs (one for each kitty) daily regardless of what activity it has had. I also dump them completely each week and give them a good wash before refilling.
I clean with vinegar and baking soda, letting them soak a good 5 minutes and then rinse and wash with dawn dish soap..dry completely then refill...people who come over cant believe I have two litter boxes in this small house and can not tell I have kitties until they see the kitties or cat toys.

I'm always paranoid about smells. lol

Maua_Peterbald

Lairian
I`ve bought some raw, frozen food (BARF) at the show to try - beef, turkey and fish. Frodo felt in love immediately with the meat, the fish (herring) smells so strong that I am not surprised he doesn`t want to touch it. The food is cheap, comparing to the canned ones and the change in poo smell - PRICELESS ! :BigSmile: I`ve run out of the raw and new packs will be available in the beginning of the new year, can`t wait !!! For me, there is no litter or deodorant that can really hide the smell, but raw - it really can work miracles !