Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

What vaccinations do you give your sphynx

Luvd56

Lairian
The breeder I bought Lilly from advises not to give her the Rabies vaccination as she has seen and heard of sphynx kittens die after they have received the vaccination. She also advised not to give her leukemia vaccination because it has a very high reaction rate. She said they can only get this infection by being with a cat that has it so if your cat will not be around other cats she felt there is more risk to give the vaccine than not. I am just curious to see what others are doing. Thanks:Woo:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
The breeder I bought Lilly from advises not to give her the Rabies vaccination as she has seen and heard of sphynx kittens die after they have received the vaccination. She also advised not to give her leukemia vaccination because it has a very high reaction rate. She said they can only get this infection by being with a cat that has it so if your cat will not be around other cats she felt there is more risk to give the vaccine than not. I am just curious to see what others are doing. Thanks:Woo:

Most people do give rabies shot - In most states it is required. See this thread http://www.sphynxlair.com/f33/rabies-shot-8902/ Also a thread on vaccinations - we do not recommend the feline leukemia vaccination, sphynx are indoor cats, you would need to ask your vet his opinion if your sphynx has another cat companion who frequents the outdoors as far as that particular vaccination - See here also - http://www.sphynxlair.com/f33/vaccines-4627/ hope this helps! :Laugh:

muddpuddles01

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Lenore never had the leukemia vaccine as she has never been around any other cats, so I felt it was unnecessary. She did have her rabies vaccine at 3 months with no issues as it is the law here that all animals be vaccinated for rabies. Just do some research and use your best judgement. Good luck! :)

Graddydani

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
No leukemia shot for Graddy but he had his rabies shot before he came home with us and all other required shots since then.

live2flythesky

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
No leukemia or rabies here. CA does not require it for cats and it would void my contract. My breeder said she had two kits in the past lose the use of their back legs from the rabies vaccine. Scary! On the other hand, I realize that many states require it and many, many cats get it with no issue.

Rwalkerg

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Our vet recommended doing the booster shots at least a week apart - "just in case". Clementine just got her rabies shot today, and in a couple weeks I will take her by again for her other one (cant remember the name right now!).
If you're worried about it, but want to be safe at the same time, you could try splitting them up so their bodies arent so overloaded. Oh - and most vets dont do "live" rabies shots either - just ask if they give the inactive shot and she should be fine.

Olafthesphynx

Lairian
Our Olaf had a terrible reaction to the leukaemia vaccine and developed a sore on his back for months!
We decided against the rabies as well since he is indoors.
We are from Canada so it is not required and only bats are known to have rabies where we are located.

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have the big three and rabies. (All done by breeder) Rabies incase she were to bite someone, she's around other animals, and because of bats
I would sit down and talk to your vet and see what they have to say and go from there :)

Drax2019

Lairian
[/QUOTEugh,

I am a worried mess . It’s been a couple weeks since getting them.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Drax2019 here is a prior thread : it is an older thread, scroll down to admin info in the thread.
there are so many mentions of vaccines across the forum using the upper right search box. You can read yourself silly.

a good source is your breeder and your contract.
discussing with your vet and making an informed decision what is is best for your babies circumstances.
I personally do not over vaccinate and never give Feline Leukemia vaccine.

Last edited:

Jeanhill72

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My breeder is against rabies and leukemia vaccines. However, my vet has seen too many animals die of diseases that could have been prevented with a vaccine. I trust both my breeder and my vet, and both had valid reasons backed by medical research for their opinions. At the end of the day, I went with my vet's suggestion since I take Walter out and about with me. In fact, I plan to take him on vacation with us this summer.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I think that’s the big thing. If your cat is only ever indoors you can forgo some of these vaccinations. I think they should be carefully considered if your cat is ever outdoors.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Duglynukem

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
In most states I have lived in you cannot board an animal without proof of vaccinations but if you never intend to board your cat or let them outside who would ever know if they were vaccinated or not?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Duglynukem agree, I worked animal control years ago... and even on bite reports we would more likely than not do home 10 day quarantines.
each jurisdiction is different but I do not over vaccinate personally.
my dogs i had no choice becz I had to board them when my dad passed away.. I still cant stand the thought of over vaccinations. my vet is cool with my choices for my circumstances.

some vets will not treat an animal unless it has proof of vaccines which I understand.

we each have to make an informed decision for our particular circumstances

ps... head smooches to Cleo!