Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

what's a good age to switch to adult food?

apete89

Lairian
Can anyone guide me on a good age to switch Lemon from kitten food to adult food?

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I haven't had a kitten in a while, but I think the rule of thumb is to swich over to adult food at about 1 year.

Bella07

Banned
1 years old is what I have always done with my animals. And be sure to make the change gradual. Everyday add a little bit more adult food to Lemon's kitten food. This will make it a smooth transition so that she doesn't have an upset tummy of any sort. Good Luck!

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I just finished switching my guys to adult food -- 9months and 7.5 months... I go by the 'are they looking like stuffed sausages guide'

both of my kitties only had wrinkles on their head, and it took some effort to feel their ribs, so... adult food time.

after about 3 weeks now, they are thinner, and more active... now I wonder if I should have left them on the kitten food, lazy fat kitties don't decide to play with my cpap mask in the middle of the night :Smile:

gizmo6370

Banned
About 1 year of age....but just like Fester said...if they are becoming to fat....you can switch earlier...or mix in some adult food :Smile:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I just finished switching my guys to adult food -- 9months and 7.5 months... I go by the 'are they looking like stuffed sausages guide'

both of my kitties only had wrinkles on their head, and it took some effort to feel their ribs, so... adult food time.

after about 3 weeks now, they are thinner, and more active... now I wonder if I should have left them on the kitten food, lazy fat kitties don't decide to play with my cpap mask in the middle of the night :Smile:

Geez, I sure hope they don't unplug you while they are tearing around the house at 2am.

apete89

Lairian
thanks everyone! I asked my vet but she just said "it depends on the breed and it depends on the cat," which didn't help me much.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I switched Snuffie at 1 year. I've always done that with all my kitties.

Hairlesslove

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We switched Mickey's food when he turned 1 year old also!....

holly_savage

Banned
I won't have to switch the dry...Taste of the Wild(switched bothcats to it 2 weeks ago) is an "all stages" food I believe(please correct me if I am wrong), and Hibou has been on some adult and some kitten canned foods for the longest time now. Kokka still eats the RC Kitten only, but I am hoping to change her to a different (a.k.a. cheaper:Dizzy:) food soon. Just making sure her little tummy is all settled on the new dry before I switch the wet.