Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

What's the difference between a sphynx and a peterbald?

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I know that the peterbalds are a more oriental version of the hairless cat and they originated from Russia, but what else makes them different from sphynx cats? Are peterbald personalities similar to the sphynx or are they a completely different cat?

The reason I ask is because when the time comes for me to get another cat (hopefully not for many years yet), I think I may like to have a peterbald. To me they seem to a cross between Siamese/Orientals and sphynx, so it'll be great to have "the best of both worlds", so to speak!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hope this helps you!

GENERAL DESCRIPTION:

The Peterbald is a refined cat with a long elongated body with long graceful legs. The personality of a Peterbald is very outgoing, very friendly, can be demanding and loud. Most crave human attention like no other breed of cat you have ever seen. Peterbalds are extremely intelligent and they are very agile and quick! Their personality is similar to that of Oriental's or Siamese. Some of them do have "that infamous Siamese voice". This is a fantastic breed if you want an affectionate cat that is a little bit more like a "dog"!

Make no mistake, the Peterbald is NOT a "bald Oriental", it is its own breed. The crossing of the two breeds contribute to the lovely attributes of this breed today, but leans more towards the foreign body type. Currently the Peterbald is outcrossed to Orientals and Siamese to maintain the type and improve the health and vigor of the breed.

Peterbalds achieved Advanced New Breed status in TICA February 2005 and hopefully will soon be in Championship status. The Peterbald is also recognized in World Cat Federation (WCF) and in FIFe. We would also like to see this breed recognized and advance in CFA.

PETERBALD COMPARED TO SPHYNX:

Often people ask what is the difference between a Peterbald and a Sphynx. Most people look at the cats and think "no hair - must be the same breed". This is not so! They are both hairless, but for different genetic reasons. The gene that makes the Peterbald hairless is a dominant gene, whereas the gene that makes the Sphynx bald is a recessive gene. They have a completely different look too.

Major differences between the Peterbald and the Sphynx:

The gene causing the hairlessness is completely different. The Peterbald gene is dominant, whereas the Sphynx gene is a recessive. Sphynx feel like warm peaches or chamois, Peterbalds can have a variety of coats from sticky bald to a brush coat.
The head type of a Peterbald is a long elongated face, the Sphynx has a much shorter, wider face.
The body type of the Peterbald is refined and elegant, the Sphynx is medium sized cat that is supposed to be pear shaped.
Peterbalds have almost almond shaped eyes, Sphynx have lemon-shaped eyes.
The boning of a Peterbald is medium-fine, the Sphynx is medium.
The ear set is lower on a Peterbald.
Many Peterbald have kinky whiskers - Sphynx usually have none or have broken whiskers.

PETERBALD COMPARED TO ORIENTAL/SIAMESE:

Major differences between the Peterbald and the Oriental:

Head shape of PD is trapezoid - a long triangle with a blunted muzzle. The Oriental head shape is a triangle. (Muzzle is not blunt)
The body of the PD is refined, but thicker around than the Oriental.
All eye colors are allowed in the PD; eye shape of PD is almost almond - Oriental eye shape is almond.
The profile of the PD is almost straight with a slight noticeable angle (two-planed) whereas the Oriental has a straight profile.
Ears of the Peterbald are supposed to have ears set lower than the line of the wedge. This means their ear set is actually lower than the Oriental.
The most obvious difference is the coat type of the PD - ranging from bald to brush. Orientals have normal tight, painted on coats.

Last edited:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
This post is best summed up by the words of Spock. I quote.
"Fascinating"
I never knew there was a difference.

"Live long and prosper":tinysmile_shy_t:

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Very interesting; can't say i ever looked into it. I personally like the Sphynx better. The face on the PB's are not as good looking, quite strange, IMHO.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I think I prefer the sphynx over the Pb. Well sydkat7 make sure you visit a few breeders and see and play with the cat in person before a decision. I f you do get one I will make a Pb section for you! Don't even think about leaving! LOL :tinysmile_cry_t4:

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Admin, thanks for all of the great information you provided...it made the differences between the two breeds very clear to me now. And don't worry, I will NEVER leave SphynxLair....not only because it's a such a wonderful site but also because I'll have my sphynx Piglet for quite a few years to come. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Very interesting; can't say i ever looked into it. I personally like the Sphynx better. The face on the PB's are not as good looking, quite strange, IMHO.
You know, Kerrie, I think I agree with you about sphynx vs. peterbalds. I think the sphynx cats are MUCH cuter, but the PBs do have their charm as well.

It seems a detail is missing there...the PB is a crossing breed between oriental and Don Sphynx (not the same as sphynx).
the don phynx has the dominant gene for hairless type and comes from russia.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Meecho is a peterbald and I thought she was gorgeous :tinysmile_cry_t4: no but seriously all those characteristics listed above about the peterbalds are dead on. Taking care of Meecho is like taking care of a loveable two year old on crack most days. She is VERY vocal and demanding in what she wants, but she will almost smother you with her love and affection. One thing that I found in my research and I can't find it now is that peterbalds in most case will be born with hair and as they get to be about 1-2 they will have shed it. Meecho's hair is very strange. the hair on her legs is very soft like chinchilla fur but the little hairs that she has on her back are very rough like rat hair. luckily it's very sparse, but when she was younger it was pretty thick.

Lady

Lairian
Thank you very much for this. Very informativ :)
Ive already decided that I will be having one of each. Hopefully a Shpynx this year and next year with a bit of luck a PB.

Lady

Lairian
Last edited by a moderator:

Lady

Lairian
That is what hear also.
Sadly there is only three breeders (that I know of) over here that really limits my chances of getting a grown PB :(

@Lady
I have had both breeds and they are quite different. I really like both. I had less digestive issues with my Pbald.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Lady
Yes mine was a rescue situation. He was also a former breeder. Breeders are always looking for excellent homes for retired breeders. That might me a way to go. I have never regreted taking in my adults. I would do a retired breeder again.