Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Wheel training

Wednesdaysmum

Lairian
Hey friends,

I recently bought my boy his first cat wheel and I was a bit naive thinking he'd get straight on and start running like a pro!

I've watched a few YouTube videos to begin training him but I'm keen to hear from anyone who has successfully completed training.

How long did it take your cat to become confident on the wheel and what are your best tips for beginners?

Thanks!

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
When I first got my wheel I had one cat at 6 months old. It took him 6 days to learn the wheel. I would give him a treat even if he just sat on it. I would use a treat just in front of his nose out of reach and eventually he would start walking. If your kitty is play motivated then do the same thing but with their favorite toy. A laser pointer works really well!

I had given up all hope, I actually sat in my bed with Yoda and we watched the training videos on YouTube together, lo and behold he got up after the video, hopped on the wheel and started running :0

My second sphynx would not use the wheel at all. He eventually got the idea after a year that now he'd like to start running. He's very awkward on it, he will jump really high, grab the sides and run like a maniac with no breaks, he jumps off full speed to stop.

My adopted girl came home at 2 years old, jumped on first day home and never stopped running. She's my little athlete.

@Yoda mom has some great tips for learning the "Stargate" club!

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Both of my boys (Rankle the sphynx and Dajjal the Siamese) love their wheel. They were 1 and 2 years old, respectively when I got it for them. There was no interest in it for the first few days but I didn't want to rush things and put them off. After a few days I put treats on it and let them get used to it moving when they climbed on then I held the treats just in front of them and they started walking. Once they got used to it there was no stopping them. They run on it full pelt at all times of the day and night, and sometimes they use it together.

I hope your boy gets the hang of it soon.

Yoda mom

Staff member
welcome to the stargate club. I gavre happy cheery commands go toby go! put a treat on it when he just sat on it. then I held my index finger a few inches infront of him on the track pad saying Go Toby GO. he started walking on it and I kept my finger in front of him on the track pad.

lol now I can be across the room and say go toby go and he runs to his wheel meowing and runs like mad to a casual stroll. he is on it on his own 24/7, meowing at me and peeking around the sides to see if I am watching. he was not food motivated but my finger or a straw got him going

Wednesdaysmum

Lairian
@Bailey21 @Beckinboots @Yoda mom thank you all so much for your stories and tricks!

We have been giving Wednesday a treat every time he goes near the wheel for the last few days. Tonight we stuck sticky tape on the wheel and put a pastey treat on the sticky tape for him to lick off with each step and we have success!

Will still take a bit of encouragement over the next week or so but I think he will definitely be in the Stargate club in no time!

Sorry for the blury pics but look at him go :) Screenshot_20201012-202507_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20201012-202411_Video Player.jpg

Yoda mom

Staff member
got this email sale from one fast cat.. look! a sphynx on the ad and another one too!

Back