Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

When did you pick a name for your Sphynx?

When did you pick a name for your Sphynx?

• We had a name picked out before we even saw a picture of our Sphynx

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • We named our Sphynx after we saw pictures of it

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • We named our Sphynx after they came home and we got to know their "purrsonality"

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • We rescued and changed their name when they came to their forever home

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • We still cannot decide

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Yoda mom

Staff member
Kept all adoptees names :)

Except one who I adopted from a shady hoobly Ad Before I knew better
He had no clue of his name ... I renamed him”Toby “ sounding like the phrase “meant “ to be”

Many of you may not know , my avatar pic is to honor my first sphynx named Yoda .
She passed from an embolism . I adopted in her honor .
Ironically and a little eeery at first , I ended up adopting a male with the same name Yoda. I kept his name ..she must have wanted it that way

Toa and Ross

Staff member
The breeder gave one of my boys his name cause she had to hand feed him and was crazy about him. She named him Nudo Ross. So now it's Ross for short.
His brother from the same litter didn't have a name when I visited them first. When I looked into his eyes the reminded me of the lake Quilotoa in Ecuador. His name is Toa for short.

When I got my girl, a retired breedcat, her name was April. She didn't respond to her name. One day a friend of mine said her name should be Jade cause of her eyes. I yelled Jade and...April came running. Since that day her name is Jade.

Love this poll @Catzzzmeow

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yoda we had picked his name after seeing his picture. I sneakily showed Ryan a picture of Yoda pretending he was just a random kitty on the internet. We brainstormed names together if we ever got a sphynx in the future (I had already put down the deposit on Yoda as a Christmas surprise) and Ryan suggested Yoda. We both decided right away that's what we would name ours.

I had picked out Finn's name before he was even born.

Raven's name was originally Rah, our breeder and ourselves both wanted to change her name, kind of like a fresh start for my sweet girl. I wanted to name her Qi'ra (sounded similar to her old name, also a Star Wars character) but Ryan mentioned Raven and we both liked it, so Raven it became.

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I had previously joked that if I had gotten a boy I would name him Dr. Spencer Reid and if I got a girl I would name her Penelope Garcia. My husband hated that idea. So then I had several names that I was trying to go through. Meanwhile my poor sphynx was still nameless as I couldn't decide after a month. Finally, my hubby said you know we should call her Agnes, she looks like an Agnes and that's how she got her name. She was a little wrinkly old lady and he was right! I couldn't even think of calling her the other names now. lol!

FiloandRoux

Lairian
I knew my kitties had to have some kind of themed name because I'm sad like that, and because they're such ravenous beasts (and so am I), I decided to name them after food. It's funny, Filo is a massive carb addict, I have to hide any bread from him or he'll break into the plastic and eat it. And then Roux, was going to be Choux (they were both going to be pastry) but Roux just suited her better. I think you know when you get them and then they kind of grow into their names after a while.

Although I still sometimes call Filo the name of my first Sphynx (he stayed with my ex) who was called Jasper.

They also both accumulate middle names based on their behaviour, so Jasper was Jasper Lurpak Le Gris because he was obsessed with butter, and Filo is occasionally batman (because he likes to sit somewhere high and watch everything) or the carb killer.

Gisele

Lairian
Sasha initially came from rescue as ‘Cleo’...not that she had any idea that it was her name. Anyway we had just finished watching rupauls drag race and decided on Sasha, after Sasha velour, like the bald queen she is.

Although she often goes by ‘Sasha pants’, ‘gremlin’, ‘goblin’, ‘sleep thief’, ‘poopy butt’, ‘no’, ‘you can’t eat that!’ and ‘WHAT are you doing?!’

alandsim

Lairian
Sasha initially came from rescue as ‘Cleo’...not that she had any idea that it was her name. Anyway we had just finished watching rupauls drag race and decided on Sasha, after Sasha velour, like the bald queen she is.

Although she often goes by ‘Sasha pants’, ‘gremlin’, ‘goblin’, ‘sleep thief’, ‘poopy butt’, ‘no’, ‘you can’t eat that!’ and ‘WHAT are you doing?!’

:0 "Sleep thief" is a good one!!

We use "poopy butt girl" a lot to refer to ours too! If the NSA is listening to our household, they'll have a lot of embarrassing audio to wade through and figure out what the heck we're talking about!

Back