Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

When is it too late to add a sphynx?

ArkenBillsmom

Lairian
Hello,

It may take me a while to save up in order to get Bill a compainion. We would like to get a cat to get Bill out of our hair a bit (he loves my husband too much) and also add to our sphynx addiction. Bill is 8 months. Is there a time limit for getting a new sphynx? When is it too late to add a sphynx to the brood?

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don't think it is ever too late! Picking a complimentary temperament and slow introductions are going to be the key. The humane society recommends choosing a younger and opposite gender additon. so for you guys, a young female would likely be the easiest for him to accept. Good luck, and keep your eyes open for sphynxes that need to be rehomed in your area, or even a retired breeding queen.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I think it depends on the cats. We first hand found senior cats (10 years+) have a much lower energy level than kittens. My personal feeling is ideally a 3-4 years old or younger and a kitten can still bond and enjoy that crazy energy and keep up with one another.

Patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
@ArkenBillsmom , its never too late to add sphnx luv :)- sending best wishes the sphynx stars align forgot and Bill-
I have four sphinx adoptees that cake rather quickly - two from a lair member

Ironically the younger male Toby ( who constantly literally does our hair :) ) I got at 12 mos sleeps more with the older twin brothers age 5 rather Than the female - but come bedtime they conspire to bed hog!
All depends on personalities - ask lots of questions for a good fit-

Sending best wishes ...
Keep us posted

ArkenBillsmom

Lairian
Thank you all for the feed back. I will look into getting a retired breeding queen. I am also saving up for a new addition so it will be a while before we can afford to add someone else to the mix.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
It is great you are researching and putting so much thought into this.