Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

When to take cat outside

Sheofthrone3

Lairian
I want my Opal to like being outside. I want to take her on walks in different states and explore with me as we travel.
I've only taken her outside twice and only for a few minutes.

She still needs her last 3 way shot (FVRCP) and her rabies shot. We will be getting those when we go home next month.

When is it safe to take them outside? I know I need to wait until after her last round of shots before I take her on walks or anything. But in general, what age and what are something's you can do to get them used to and to like being outside?

Photos of the 2 times she's been outside.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Opal is precious; i love the little odd eyed babies.

I cant help with the outside things; my girls are inside only I'm way too paranoid to let them out but I'm sure many other Lair members will chime in!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Look at Opal climbing that tree. She's going to be an outdoor girl for sure.

I think it depends on the season. If it's warm enough you can take her outside for short walks. Best is to take a stroller or a sling or blanket. This way you can take her up when she gets anxious or panic.
I know @Xandria takes her boy Max for walks in the snow! Max wears snowboots and a hat and looks very cool. Maybe you can look for her pics and maybe she can give you some advice.

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Do it as early and often as possible! Anything you do with them as babies will be comfortable when they are older. Take her in the car, or on the bus, or even on your bicycle to as many places as possible. I used to take Frida with me on transit all the time and she still isn’t afraid of being in a vehicle now even though I rarely travel with her the way I used to.
I also used to take her out in the garden and she still loves to do this in the summer, but won’t go out unless it is warm.

Frida and I in the garden this summer

Friday on the bus!

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don’t know about age safety, but I can help with attire!

Boots:

Scarf/Hat:

There are of course many options. There are even little sleeves for the tail! Of course as I can see, you already figured out the sweater thing. There are also several creators that make clothing specifically for the Sphynx, so it is longer and slimmer for their cat bodies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I agree you want was said...to get them used to it at a very early age. I would wait until a couple of weeks after the vaccinations.

Last edited:

Sheofthrone3

Lairian
Do it as early and often as possible! Anything you do with them as babies will be comfortable when they are older. Take her in the car, or on the bus, or even on your bicycle to as many places as possible. I used to take Frida with me on transit all the time and she still isn’t afraid of being in a vehicle now even though I rarely travel with her the way I used to.
I also used to take her out in the garden and she still loves to do this in the summer, but won’t go out unless it is warm.

Frida and I in the garden this summer

Friday on the bus!
She's beautiful! She's not scared of traveling. We are truck drivers so we actually live in a Semi for most of the time. I just don't want her cooped up in the truck all the time. I want her to walk and explore and stuff outside! Thank you for the photos and positive comment. I'm going to take her out more

Sheofthrone3

Lairian
I agree you want hem to get used to it at a very early age. I would wait until a couple of weeks after the vaccinations.
That's what I was thinking. I want her rabies and the other one before I take her outside for very long. Just getting her used to her harness right now.

Sheofthrone3

Lairian
I don’t know about age safety, but I can help with attire!

Boots:

Scarf/Hat:

There are of course many options. There are even little sleeves for the tail! Of course as I can see, you already figured out the sweater thing. There are also several creators that make clothing specifically for the Sphynx, so it is longer and slimmer for their cat bodies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Those are so cute! My Nana just got booties for her Schnoodle because they are in the desert right now. I do want to look into some for opal so she doesn't get stickers or burn her feet. I'll definitely look into these things! Thank you!

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Man I love opal! All her pictures are so cute!
We started taking Orpheus out from when he was about 4 months old and we started with small trips to cafes or pet store and we just let him sit on our laps until he wants to get down and explore. And like others have said do small trips often. Also to get him used to walking on the lead we took him to pet stores and places for him to sniff and explore comfortably and he loves it. Feel free to message me on Instagram if you want to talk about taking opal out I can try give some tips :)

Sheofthrone3

Lairian
Man I love opal! All her pictures are so cute!
We started taking Orpheus out from when he was about 4 months old and we started with small trips to cafes or pet store and we just let him sit on our laps until he wants to get down and explore. And like others have said do small trips often. Also to get him used to walking on the lead we took him to pet stores and places for him to sniff and explore comfortably and he loves it. Feel free to message me on Instagram if you want to talk about taking opal out I can try give some tips :)
Thats a good idea! She doesn't seem too interested in the outside world. The pet store is an awesome idea! What is your Instagram?

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thats a good idea! She doesn't seem too interested in the outside world. The pet store is an awesome idea! What is your Instagram?

Haha yes he just does laps of the pet store and tries to climb in all the beds haha
And I'm Opheus_and_the_lyre :)

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Opal is adorable and so fearless. I adore her.

My girl, Min, likes being outside but not as much as Max, my boy. The only discouraging weather for him is rain.

I waited until all shots were done, and then we went to the pet store first. After some pet store visits, we took him outside. He loves being outside, hunting, exploring -- he loves hiking in parks too.

We always keep them leashed. @Catzzzmeow introduced me to the best harness I've ever used on them
We have a few different harnesses for different weather/temperatures. I love that they have a 3 closure system. Oh, and x-small is a good size.

We also have a few retractable leashes. I like the Flexi brand.

For cold weather they have thinner booties. and for winter they have lined booties.

The sooner you get Opal used to clothes, harnesses and booties, the better.

Be aware, however, that not every pet owner keeps their pets on leashes in public places. I am ever furious over dog owners who allow their dogs off leash on parks and places where they are supposed to be leashed. Depending on where you are, also watch for birds of prey (they can be fast).

And finally, I always meticulously clean their paws after being out. I use the Huggies natural wipes for this.

I hope that helps! More pics, please.

Here are a couple posts from my crew's explorations:
Max & Min, Polar Explorers!
Max & Vancouver's 2nd Snowpocalypse

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We take our babies out, in a stroller, but more during summer than winter. They do seem to love the outdoors. I guess there's lots of things to watch especially when we stroll in the woods.
I just have to say, I love love love those photos of yours!