Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

When you have too much choices ( male or female Sphynx, Pale or Dark)?

LineB

Lairian
Hi, after reading a lot about chosing a male or female Sphynx, I was kind of sure that the Male's personality would be better for me (more cuddeling). While I am waiting for my new baby Sphynx , Yesterday I was offered a choice by the breeder, I can choose a little male or a little female (both available, borned on the same day and will be ready to come home in about 6 weeks).

My questions: what is more cuddeling and friendly, is it male or female?
I also need feedback on the colour : Darker or more pale? The male is like a chocolate light brown and the female is more like blueish-black.

Thank you all for your reply. I am really confused mother-to-be.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@LineB , Are you able to visit them and see which ome steals your heart :)?
Ask breeder sbout their individual personalities and if they can share a video of them interacting if you can't visit -

I have 4 Sphynx - adult adoptees 1 female 3 males -
All equally cuddly fun amd interactive

+A lot depends too on how the kittens are raised

Hand raised underfoot , lots of handling etc - early imprinting development
Versus cage raised

Color can change / get richer as they mature
You can look at the sire and dame
As well as online before after pics

Last edited:

LineB

Lairian
Hi, thank you for the answers. The breeder is a sweetheart. She is posting regularly videos and pictures online. They are raised in a family home, no cage involved, they all seemed to be very healthy and playful. I believe that they have the best cares possible. They are registered, microchiped, etc. before going home. I am going for a visit in October. I always had boys (cats) in my life, and they were very cuddly and loving.

I think I know what I should do, stick with my initial plan, get the boy even if he is not as dark as I was hoping first...like you say the colour gets richer when the mature...so he will be a dark chocolate...nothing wrong with that...

Nicolemorgan

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would go with your gut! :) And if you can meet them before hand, that even might help you decide.
I think each sphynx personality is different, and I've ready about super cuddly male and females on here.
Both will be adorable, and both will be a sphynx, who are super loving and fun anyways :) I don't think you could make a bad decision either way.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Go with what feels best for you. If you watch the video's and photo's I'm sure one of the two will attrack more of your attention and your heart will go out to him or her.
Sphynx are cuddle buddy's, no matter if it's a boy or a girl so just go with your heart and gut.

Please let us know which one you choose. And of course we would love to see a pic of your soon to be baby.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I think when, you meet them, you, will have, no doubt.
One will steal your heart. That's what you need to go by.
Keep us updated.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@LineB all my life I had furry cats and I always preferred males over females (but I had both). The males were not moody. The males were more affectionate. The females were sweet when they wanted to be!

So when it came time to get sphynx cats, hands down I knew I wanted only males. After getting males, I don't know what came over me, but I started to think pink! Well, I have to tell you that female sphynx are just as lovable as the males. This breed is exceptionally loving and you cannot go wrong choosing a male or female.

As far as color: That's just personal preference. I love them all. Can you visit the breeder in order to make your decision? If you can, you will know which kitten speaks to your heart. Go with that to make your decision. If you cannot visit the breeder, then have her send you a few photos of each kitten available to you and see which one immediately makes you melt.

BUT to be purrfectly honest with you, if you can, get them both! I don't know if you are going to be a stay at home sphynx mommy or not, but this is such a loving breed. They love to cuddle with each other to keep warm and won't be as lonely. I can go on and on, but I don't even know if that's an option for you.

Best of luck though with your Gotcha Day being in six weeks or so. Please share photos as you receive them.

LineB

Lairian
Thank you for the reply on my post. Yes I will be a stay at home sphynx mommy. For now I will get only one, I feel lucky that my husband (Daddy) agreed to let me adopt one. Also , we will be building a new house in April, so I will have plenty to watch with one baby....but I am keeping in mind the possibility to adopt one more in a near future if baby # feels lonely or bored with only mommy's presence. ⛵️

LineB

Lairian
Thank you all for your replies. I think I will keep my first choice a baby boy...I've seen a few pictures and videos since I decided to adopt a sphynx kitten from that breeder. I immediatly love one of the boys, but In my mind I was hoping for blue or black...but like some of you said...you know that it's your baby when your heart is melting...it did.
I am also going for a visit on Oct 13th, so I'll know then for sure!

I'll keep you posted!
Thanks again!

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I wasn't keen on a pale Sphynx.
Guess what I got? :) (Well, ok, obvious with the profile pic)
It just happened that way, and I'm really glad I have the little monster. :)
She's a cuddlebug. Sleeps under my duvet, glued to my side, deadening my arm, at night.
I think the cuddliness depends on the character of the individual sphynx, rather than gender. :)

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thank you all for your replies. I think I will keep my first choice a baby boy...I've seen a few pictures and videos since I decided to adopt a sphynx kitten from that breeder. I immediatly love one of the boys, but In my mind I was hoping for blue or black...but like some of you said...you know that it's your baby when your heart is melting...it did.
I am also going for a visit on Oct 13th, so I'll know then for sure!

I'll keep you posted!
Thanks again!

@LineB sounds like you have basically made a decision, but it will be confirmed in a few weeks. Can't wait to hear back from you and find out what your decision will be. Don't forget to post pics with your decision. :)

LineB

Lairian
Ohhh I will no worries, I already started a page on facebook, ( under construction ) not visible yet. You will see lots of picts , videos and infos about my baby and friends, some of your stories if you would like to share. I am going at the breeder for a visit on the 7th...I need to know now....I have a pink suit and some blue, I am ready for anything. I will simply go with my heart . Mr Wison if it's the boy and Mrs Mel B . (Spice girl's Mel B.) If it's the girl...laugh , I know...LOL..I am an artist and I am far from traditional when it comes to names...lol
Keep you all posted!
Love Sphynx family! Xox

LineB

Lairian
I wasn't keen on a pale Sphynx.
Guess what I got? :) (Well, ok, obvious with the profile pic)
It just happened that way, and I'm really glad I have the little monster. :)
She's a cuddlebug. Sleeps under my duvet, glued to my side, deadening my arm, at night.
I think the cuddliness depends on the character of the individual sphynx, rather than gender. :)
I just can't wait to feel or not feel my arm at night....lol

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Ohhh I will no worries, I already started a page on facebook, ( under construction ) not visible yet. You will see lots of picts , videos and infos about my baby and friends, some of your stories if you would like to share. I am going at the breeder for a visit on the 7th...I need to know now....I have a pink suit and some blue, I am ready for anything. I will simply go with my heart . Mr Wison if it's the boy and Mrs Mel B . (Spice girl's Mel B.) If it's the girl...laugh , I know...LOL..I am an artist and I am far from traditional when it comes to names...lol
Keep you all posted!
Love Sphynx family! Xox

@LineB LOL, love the names, but love the "Mr." and "Mrs." part best.

Back