Where does your cat go with you?

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Tails' started by kiennasmom, Nov 17, 2009.

1. kiennasmom

kiennasmomV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $15.00
    Ratings:
    +903
    This last weekend I took Blue camping again. He loves to travel and does really well. This is his first time camping since I joined this site, so it got me thinking. As I was sitting around the campfire with him on my lap, I wondered where else people take their sphynxes (other than the pet store and vet)? I saw a YouTube video of someone who took their baby skateboarding--cat rode on his shoulders, and to the coffee shop. Anyone else?

2. Brooke

BrookeBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $42.00
    Ratings:
    +443
    That's so cool! I would love to take my guys camping!!

My first sphynx, Harold, loved to go anywhere and meet anybody. I took him out with me any chance I got - shopping, to visit friends, he went to work with me a lot and ran around the office like he owned the place, visiting everyone and getting lots of attention, and I used to take him to the local elementary school to teach the kids about hairless cats.

The four I have now are happiest at home. I really wish they enjoyed going out more, but I won't push it. They do like to go to Grandma's house, though!

3. zoes mom

zoes momLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $331.00
    Ratings:
    +68
    I would like to take mine out but I don't want her to get anything from other peoples pets. I just dont want to chance it:Dizzy: Although i think it would be great to get her out and about. I can't stand taking her to the vet...you can tell that they don't disinfect the scale they sit them on per pet as well im sure they don't with the exam table...I do know that I am weird :LOL:

4. Maggies mommy

Maggies mommyV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $1,100.16
    Ratings:
    +471
    I mostly take Maggie to stores & our familys house to visit

5. ja&roo

ja&rooLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $400.00
    Ratings:
    +14
    I haven't taken Roo uot for a couple months because he's finally getting over the cold he and Doolie were passing back and forth. Thank God!

Anyway, I love taking him out and showing him off cause he loves everybody he meets and is not shy. He travels well and loves his carrier!
    If I set it on the floor he's in it before I can even get the blankets in LOL!
    One of his favorite places to go is my Mom's cosmetology school because its filled with lots of girls who LOVE to pet him!

I only Keep him out and about a few hours because I don't know what I would do if he had to go to the bathroom.....What do u do about that?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  6. ariena

arienaLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $335.00
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I'm in the house? Everywhere! When she comes to live with me in my apartment in January, I'd like to put a little harness on her and take her out--the only time she's been outside is when her previous owner gave her away, so I want her to get used to it. Mom's uneasy that I want to bring her into an apartment, but I think she'll do fine, since I'll have plenty of time at the apartment to adjust with it before school starts.

7. Sam lewis

Sam lewisV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $6,018.17
    Ratings:
    +736
    • Bear
    • Butterfly 1
    Mo has been to my mums house and met my mums dog. That was a while ago though, I'd love to take him a lot more, my mum is planning to get a conservatory built especially for me to bring the cats, then they can have a special room of there own to stay in when we go over. Mo is good in the car because we go to the vets...a lot!

8. ilovemysphynx

ilovemysphynxAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $6,141.16
    Ratings:
    +3,088
    • Fish
    • Dragon fly
    • Candy
    Ours get to go in the back yard:Smile: but they love it so I guess its ok!

9. ultra_stella

ultra_stellaV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $296.00
    Ratings:
    +369
    For Stella, we have only been to pet friendly stores, my parents and the (quoting Stella here) "god awful vet visits". It's more like "meowomeow meowww", but I'm sure that's what she's saying. I'll take her out in the front yard of my parent's house with her harness when the weather is nice. I'm pretty amazed on how well she does in the car. I would like to buy a pet stroller here shortly. Well, I guess I should wait until spring arrives!

10. kalliee129

kalliee129Senior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $453.02
    Ratings:
    +56
    I will take Meecho anywhere she is allowed and even to places she's not until I'm asked to leave...like the zoo:LOL: This weekend we went to a craft fair and then two different malls. She totally fell in love with all the new christmas decorations.

11. ilovemysphynx

Sphynx Bucks:
    $6,141.16
    Ratings:
    +3,088
    • Fish
    • Dragon fly
    • Candy
    I think the question for you should have been changed to where don't you take your cat!:Laugh:
    Such A good kitty mommy you are, makes me look real bad!

12. heather

heatherV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $396.00
    Ratings:
    +462
    Sophie has been on her harness in the back yard and other than that just short car rides, pet stores and the vet. When it's not so darn cold here I want to take her out and about much more.

13. kalliee129

Sphynx Bucks:
    $453.02
    Ratings:
    +56
    I don't think Meecho thinks I'm such a good mommy sometimes...usually when I'm covered head to toe in her vomit:LOL: Gotta love car sickness:Wink:

14. CoolSphynx

CoolSphynxLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $368.00
    Ratings:
    +28
    Lol, I'm like Kallie in that I usually have a kitty accompanying me. If I'm running errands, I'll rotate who comes out with me (in a purse-like carrier or stroller outside the car and in a carseat with harness in the car). When I go jogging, I'll put two in the stoller. It started because I didn't want to cause WW3 everytime someone had to go to the vet, and now they all enjoy going out. I'm really lucky that I don't have to deal with carsickness- Kallie, you're awesome for dealing with it so gracefully!

15. NeonLily

NeonLilyLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $359.00
    Ratings:
    +10
    I took Phoebe to my boyfriend's grandma's house and she enjoyed roaming around and smelling all the new things. I am a bit paranoid about taking her out, also... so I know how you feel, zoe's mom.

My mom brought her dog over to my place to meet Phoebe. The dog is a little Border Terrier - they did great together. Neither one seemed to care much about the other!!

I got a harness called "Kitty Come with Me" and took Phoebe out on the back deck in the summer time. She seemed to enjoy sniffing the plants. I plan to take her out more this coming summer - it's too cold here the rest of the year to take her outdoors.

I worry a little bit more about taking her to very public places, don't people mob you and want to pet your cat constantly?

16. CoolSphynx

CoolSphynxLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $368.00
    Ratings:
    +28
    I don't have this problem fortunately b/c my carriers look like small duffel bags with mesh ventilation the cats can see out but others can't see in & stroller looks like a baby pram that I can swivel the handle bar so the kitties face me in big crowds and I can control who interacts with them. When they are more visible (eg open pram w/ harness), if a rude person reaches toward them without asking, I say "STOP. They bite, sorry." I say it firmly and with a smile and no one has given me a hard time (I think it's sometimes more how you say it than what you say)

Friendly people who stop to ask questions have no problem using purell first (I keep a small one in the carrier and stroller pockets...)-- no one has ever refused or taken offense b/c I just say their immune systems are different than humans, which is true :Cool:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
    • Like Like x 4
    • NeonLily

NeonLilyLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $359.00
      Ratings:
      +10
      Good idea about the Purell.. I would do this also if I brought my kitty out into a very public place. Also about the "STOP - they bite" comment - I agree that is it often more how you say things than what you say that gets people to listen.

Sounds like fun- pushing your kitties around in a little pram/stroller! I need one of these for my girl! :Smile:

• ElGatoLoco

ElGatoLocoV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $2,464.20
      Ratings:
      +993
      I'd take ButterBall everywhere with me if I could. Usually I bring him with me over to my buddies house to play with his chihuahua friend.

• susi794

susi794Moderator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
      $46,138.92
      Ratings:
      +12,611
      • Scary sphynx
      • Puppy
      • Red Sphynx
      • Pink Sphynx
      • Orange Sphynx
      I took my nakeds outside the summer before last a little bit, but it made them really want to go out--Moody would dart through my legs and I was terrified someone would get out without me knowing it and be hurt or stolen or wander off. So, we haven't gone outside other than on the way to the vet since. Does going outside cause your cats to want to sneak out the open door every time you open it? I'd like to get them out and about a little more in the summer, but not if it starts something that becomes a safety issue.

• NeonLily

NeonLilyLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $359.00
      Ratings:
      +10
      I only take my kitty out in her carrier. That way she associates her carrier with going outside and doesn't just walk out the door. I didn't want to walk her straight out the front door as I was also afraid she would want to go out and it would create a problem. When I took her out on my back porch, I took her out in the carrier with her harness already on and then opened the carrier door and took the leash once she was outside. She didn't try to dart out the porch door so I guess it worked, but I also didn't take her out enough times for it to become a problem.... so I'm not really sure if that trick would work long term or not?

• CoolSphynx

CoolSphynxLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $368.00
      Ratings:
      +28
      excellent point susi. i've always been paranoid about escapees (even before the kitty filed trips). i have a retractable gate up in my foyer so no one gets to the door. It's similar to the one in this link but mine is a bit taller (38") (off ebay). I think the fact that the top is so thin makes kitties reluctant to jump it. It might be over-kill, but some my fosters were inside-outside cats & I want them to think I'm the kitty Alcatraz... no one can escape! Mwaaaa
      http://www.retract-a-gate.com/retractable-cat-gate.html

Edit: I don't know anything about the company in the link above and am just posting for reference pictures and background. I can't find the ebay vendor's ID at the moment :(

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
      • Like Like x 2
      • NeonLily

NeonLilyLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
        $359.00
        Ratings:
        +10
        That is a great looking retractable gate! Very cool.

• harley

harleySenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
        $472.00
        Ratings:
        +64
        lets see??? Harley: The yard, The High School, The local store, The library, my work, the vets and the bar. the other guys like to ride some, but they don't like new people very much...which is ashame cause I would love to take them all with me.

• ilovemysphynx

Sphynx Bucks:
        $6,141.16
        Ratings:
        +3,088
        • Fish
        • Dragon fly
        • Candy
        Ok we realy need A picture of Harley at the bar:LOL::LOL::LOL:

• kalliee129

Sphynx Bucks:
        $453.02
        Ratings:
        +56
        I do get frustrated when people swarm us but I've gotten better about it. If they look like they are coming our way I kinda look the other way and just keep walking. There are the occasional rude people who have run after us, but I try to keep it in stride. When they have kids it's harder for me to ignore because I don't want a child to ever be afraid to ask questions. Who knows maybe if I hit enough malls and stores I will have turned a bunch of people into sphynx and peterbald lovers and we can take over the world :Impish: