Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Where oh where.....

Romeos Love

Lairian
I would like to be owned by another Sphynx BUT since I got my Romeo from the local SPCA I have no idea where the best place to turn to would be. Any suggestions?:Smile:

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Are you wanting to do a rescue again? Or go through a breeder? You having kitten fever too?:LOL::LOL:

Romeos Love

Lairian
YES!! :ThumbsUp: I started having kitten fever as soon as I seen the new Blueberry's! They are beautiful! I guess I would be open to either a rescue or a breeder, guess dont know where to start with either!

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Did you want one who ships? You should find one that scans for HCM. The breeder I am getting mine from has lots of babies available. Are you looking for a particular color?I know I ask a lot of questions!:LOL::LOL:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We have a list of good breeders.
One thing with a rescue is you may not know the history and the cat could have many problems.
HCM is a major problem with sphynx.
If you get a kitten from a breeder get from a breeder that scans.
I just got my third sphynx last week.
I see you are in maryland.
i know a breeder there and she does scan.
You could also get from a breeder that ships also.
Tanyas breeder has pretty kittens right now and so does my Wrinkles breeder.

Lulu Bird

Lairian
We are in the same boat! My pets have always been rescued so I have never worked with a breeder before. I have been googling breeders and introducing myself through email to get info from them. I bet the folks on here could recommend some great breeders though!!! Good luck hunting :BigSmile:

Romeos Love

Lairian
Nope, no color preferrence. Boy or girl, doesnt matter. I was looking at some people locally. There is one in Hagerstown but I dont know how to go about any of it. There are a few breeders in MD and I had only found them when I googled the breed info.

Romeos Love

Lairian
We have a list of good breeders.
One thing with a rescue is you may not know the history and the cat could have many problems.
HCM is a major problem with sphynx.
If you get a kitten from a breeder get from a breeder that scans.
I just got my third sphynx last week.
I see you are in maryland.
i know a breeder there and she does scan.
You could also get from a breeder that ships also.
Tanyas breeder has pretty kittens right now and so does my Wrinkles breeder.

I do know about the HCM and have to get Romeo tested for it as soon as I am able. Could you give me the MD breeders info?

Brooke

Banned
The most important thing is to find a reputable breeder, and this forum is a great place to get tips and recommendations about breeders (remember to keep breeder names off the main forum, and only ask about specific breeders through private messaging, though!)

There is nothing wrong with going out of state for the right cat from the right breeder, but I do love the idea of staying local if you can because then you get to meet the kitten and visit the cattery and breeder before-hand. Often times that can help make the entire process more comfortable for you, and you don't have to deal with shipping!

I can't stress enough how important it is to make sure you look for a breeder that scans all of their breeding cats yearly for HCM and ask them to show you the proof. This, IMO, is the absolute most important. Also, they should test for FIV and Feleuk, spay and neuter the kittens before they leave, keep the kittens until they are at least 12 weeks old. Look for breeders that not only offer a health guarantee but also a separate genetic health guarantee that covers things like HCM and other genetic defects.

If you're looking to rescue another sphynx, that's wonderful, too. But you take a great risk because (as you know) you don't know their history. All 4 of mine are rescues, and I've just learned last week that my Nelson has HCM. My first sphynx, Harold, was also a rescue and he also died 1 year ago today from HCM. It is a safer bet to look for a sphynx from a reputable breeder, but there is something extra special about the rescue kitties, too. You just have to be aware of the added risk.

Best of luck with whichever you choose!

Back