Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Where to turn? New kitten disappointment

Pye314

Lairian
Joined
Dec 6, 2009
Messages
26
Points
12
Hi everyone. It has been forever since I have checked in. We are parents to Pyewacket. He is doing great and is happy & spoiled as ever.

I am really just writing this post for emotional support. (and maybe some guidance)

We have been going back and forth for a few years about getting a new addition to our family. There are of course so many factors to consider, Pye is 6 and has always been an only "child", I worry that he would not accept a new kitten or he would be mad at us when he did not get all the attention or when he came to one of "his" spots and there was a kitten in it. Of course he could love having someone to play with and cuddle with, a partner in crime.

So we finally had decided to take the step. (although when it is just Pye and I cuddled up, I still wonder if it will be the right decision lol)
We live in Central Florida and really would prefer not to ship but are willing to drive fairly far, we also have family in upstate NY who frequently travel here. Looking at various places,ads etc., we called,emailed a few. Either the kitten/s we were interested in were no longer available or the cost was more than we were able to pay ( I know this is a debate on here, I fully understand that there are not "cheap" or "discount" cats but I also believe just because your kitten was a little less money means you will love it or care for it less.also I am not taking uber cheap, the amount we are looking to spend is between $800-$1000) Anyway, we found an ad/site for a breeder in S. Florida who had 3 kittens listed. It was about a 4 hour drive away and we scheduled to go view the kittens.

We got there and initially the breeder had 2 girls and 1 boy listed, but she had mentioned on the phone there was a 4th kitten that may or may not be reserved for another buyer, well that girl was no longer being purchased so she was available but the breeder was keeping one of the other girls (white). I really don't know where to begin, She took us to a covered screened porch or "florida room" where all the cats were. Now that would be an awesome place for a little bit of "outdoor" time but it seemed that this was where the cats were currently residing. All the kittens ears were filthy. Otherwise they seemed to appear healthy and of course they were adorable. The original girl we were interested in was a calico(?) that had been listed for $800, she was sweet and gentle. The newly available girl was a tortie(?) who was talkative and playful. The third kitten was a tuxedo boy who was adorable but seemed a little skittish (not horrible but still). Of course I fell in love with the calico and my BF/partner fell for the tortie. Well the breeder was like is price a factor and we said no but what are the prices again. She states the tortie is $1000 the tuxedo is $800 and I know I originally listed the calico for $800 but I would like $1000. We indicated our leaning towards the tortie and then her child said but I wanted to keep that one. So now she says well I am not sure, the tortie may not be available. We indicated the tortie was our 1st choice and then the calico our second, she stated she would get back with us after discussing with her family. Oh and a few other things, she had no clue what HCM was, but did say she was willing to have the cats tested, and one of her female adult cats came to say hello and stretch out on my leg. I noticed she seemed to not have claws and with some concern in my voice said "oh what happened to your claws" to have the nonchalant reply of "I got her declawed"*cringe* She indicated very vaguely a 1 yr guarantee , additionally she would allow the kitten to leave at 8 weeks (which it seems is FL minimum)

So despite misgivings we drove home discussing kittens and preparations etc. The breeder called my BF today and told him they are keeping the tortie as well but the calico is available and we can have her for the original $800 since she is not our first choice and she would send us the "contract" later. He told her he would talk to me and get back to her. Needless to say, her contract was not really a contract and it had no mention of a guarantee, it was more of a word doc thrown together or really just a receipt.

Now I am broken hearted because I fell in love and I just want to rescue the kittens from the breeder. Unfortunately I am unwilling to pay $800 for all those possible problems. I was lucky to get Pye as a rescue so he was very reasonable. Besides being broken hearted, I am angry at this breeder. She says she is TICA registered but I was baffled she had no clue about HCM or that the kittens ears was that filthy or that she was that wishy-washy, just everything really.

I really just wanted some thoughts, guidance, and really just to vent because crying over the phone to my BF was not doing much.

Sorry this is so long but I just had to get it out.
 

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Joined
Jan 16, 2010
Messages
5,191
Points
0
If your not getting the right vibe from her then my opinion, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to look elsewhere. Or you can take your chances and purchase the calico kitten, but I wouldn't expect much as far as that contract or health gaurentee is concerned.

I've never been to Florida so I'm not sure about the porch issue. It doesn't sound good tho but maybe she uses it to keep her breeding pair seperate,,just a thought?? I would however question her on why the tardiness on the contract..if you go back and pick up the kitten and are both their to sign it then what could the issue be??

I hope your able to figure out which direction to go in, I know these decisions can sometimes feel like a coin toss but follow your gut no matter what!!
 

ktate88

Banned
Joined
Aug 25, 2010
Messages
695
Points
0
A few things:
1) Living in Florida I get the Florida room. Frankly I have always known such rooms to be part of the house, but have nearly wall size windows. OR could be a glass enclosed room. A screened porch is just that, a porch. While sphynx get cold, I assume they can get hot too. Not to even mention sunburn.
2)If you get a bad vibe, go with your gut. If you are willing to buy the girl at that price, do it. Or try to talk her down considering the lack of guarantee, HCM testing, etc.
3)I understand the wanting to rescue. I drove 3 hours once to get a long haired hamster(yes, hamster!) from a rescue group. Come to find out the rescue was in their home. With ferrets and birds. The ferrets were running around on the floor! It reaked of urine. I left with my sweet chubby Lucy, and oh so thankful she got out of there.
 

Pye314

Lairian
Joined
Dec 6, 2009
Messages
26
Points
12
Ktate88:
Yes, if it had been a true "florida" room than it would have been acceptable. But no this was just a screen porch with a covered roof.
I am so glad you saved Lucy :)

ckutkuhn7:
It was not to seperate breeders because the 4 kittens and 2 adults females were roaming free in the room but she also had her male in a cage in the room (similar to what you see at pet stores)
 

holly_savage

Banned
Joined
Mar 6, 2010
Messages
1,229
Points
0
I am still pretty new at this, but Sphynx BREEDER not knowing about HCM? How is that even possible...does she not associate with any other breeders? All sounds a little BYB to me!
 

Avasmommy

Lairian
Joined
Aug 28, 2010
Messages
163
Points
41
I have not purchased a sphynx yet. (Getting ready to put my deposit on a future litter tho) Word of advice. I wanted a breeder close so I could drive to get the cat. Found one, wishy washy here and there about things. Wanted full price for a cat with only a 3 month guarantee. She didnt scan her parents for HCM. Found a breeder twice the distance away, and 400 more than the first breeder, but the kitten comes with a 3 year guarantee. I feel so much better talking and corresponding with the second breeder its unreal. Best advice I got from the lair is to GO WITH YOUR GUT! If it doesn't feel right, then it isnt.
 

Pye314

Lairian
Joined
Dec 6, 2009
Messages
26
Points
12
Yes it seemed very very odd to not even know about HCM.

Like I said I am just sad because I fell in love and don't want to spend a good amount of money only to have something tragic occur or to have massive vet bills.

I'm sure I will find another kitten but it doesn't change how sad and angry I am now.
 

gizmo6370

Banned
Joined
Apr 7, 2009
Messages
3,599
Points
0
I would look further....if i'm gonna buy a sphynx...it's gonna be one....i want...not one that is left over....
 

xxx_phoenix_xxx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Joined
Jul 10, 2010
Messages
484
Points
123
at the end of the day its your decision but if it were me myself i woud look elsewhere you could have the kitten and it could fall ill or even worse, then you will be left with the vets bills oand or a broken heart
i hope things work out for the best and good luck xxx
 

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Joined
May 13, 2010
Messages
3,509
Points
323
It's hard not to fall in love with kittens, especially Sphynx kittens. Giving your heart to one you know you could provide a loving and healthy home to is a lovely thing. I think the funny vibes and the conflict you are feeling may be due to "red flags" that are going up in your head. I think you should go with what your gut is telling you. It might be hard now, but in the long run it may be the best decision for you, your family and Pye. Good luck with whatever you do.
 

Inferno12

Banned
Joined
Apr 27, 2010
Messages
1,068
Points
0
I agree....go with your gut. I know you fell in love but its not hard to fall in love with a baby Sphynx. I would keep looking and you will fall in love with the one that is meant to be.

I know its hard now but it will be worth it to get a healthy baby. You dont want to get one and it end up being sick and costing you thousands of dollars.
 

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Joined
Jun 9, 2010
Messages
1,703
Points
238
Like everyone else says - go with your gut. That intuition will save you from heartbreak. Good luck finding another lover.
 

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Joined
May 14, 2010
Messages
1,985
Points
0
Definitely go with your gut instinct. Finding a good breeder isn't easy but when you do find one you'll be glad you waited.
 

Bella07

Banned
Joined
Apr 2, 2010
Messages
2,078
Points
0
After reading your post, red flags were popping up everywhere. Like the others have said, trust your gut! I know that you want to save this kitten, but, spending $800 to do so will only support this breeders poor breeding practices. She'll take your $800, spend it, and have another litter to make more money. That's a shame. Breeders should be working to improve the breed! And I highly doubt this breeder is.

She's never heard of HCM? :Surprise: If she doesn't know about that, then I doubt she know's much about this wonderful breed. Dirty ears? Filthy? Living on a porch? No contract? Won't send papers until later? (Sounds like a huge lie, I doubt they are registered if she says that...) Oh my, I would run away from this breeder if it were me!

Trust me. Finding the right breeder, one that you trust is key. Even if it means spending a little more up front, it'll be much less than spending thousands at the vet later on. Good Luck! The perfect Sphynx will come into your life when the time is right.
 
Joined
Apr 3, 2010
Messages
1,307
Points
0
As much as it upsets and disappoints you, trust your instinct that tells you that something "just isn't right". I applaud you for wanting to rescue a kitten and give it a good home. However, that is a lot of money to spend to rescue and take on potential issues that could be an enormous expense, potentially affect Pye and possibly result in heartbreak.

You will find the right breeder, you will get your kitten and Pye will have a friend. Keep looking, ask questions, get referrals and when the time is right, you will have your baby!
 
Top