Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Which wipes to use?

JenFid

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi everyone, another question for all of you seasoned Sphynx owners. I know baby/wet wipes are a staple for between-bath cleanings, especially for the eyes and paws/nails. My husband and I don't have kids so baby wipes are not a product I'm familiar with.

Months ago when we were baby sitting his sister's cats, we went into Petsmart to pick up some treats for them. I could have sworn I saw a package of Burt's Bee's cat wipes. I was confused, why would you need a wipe for a cat? This was before I decided to get a Sphynx ;)

Just doing a quick Google search I see things like "earth bath" that range anywhere from $10-$15 for 100. Then I see Huggies baby wipes, $10 for 648! So what brand do you guys use or prefer? I'm assuming it's unnecessary to spend $10 for 100 of the cat specific wipes...not that I'm ruling them out, green tea scented kitty sounds nice, lol!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would go with the unsented, hypoallergenic. Cheapest you can get.
I wouldn't wipe their eyes with it. Use a warm cloth for that.
I use a warm cloth to wash eyes and body down between baths.
The wipes for their bottom. It works great. Clean their ears twice
a week. Bath once a week. Some can go longer between baths.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I used to use pet wipes and switched to baby wipes. I just look for a sale. Huggies the last 2 times. I found the baby wipes seemed wetter and worked better. We go through so many it is also most cost effective.

Patti

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I use unscented sensitive skin pampers baby wipes. I just buy a big batch on amazon.

I use them to clean bums, ears and nails, but I personally wouldn't do between-bath cleanings with them. It can attract more dirt and they are cold.

JenFid

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I use unscented sensitive skin pampers baby wipes. I just buy a big batch on amazon.

I use them to clean bums, ears and nails, but I personally wouldn't do between-bath cleanings with them. It can attract more dirt and they are cold.
Ooh interesting about it making them dirtier between baths, I suppose that makes sense!

A couple of you have mentioned wiping their bums - do you do that after every poo, or only when you notice the "extra" left behind?

And I guessed they shouldn't be used around the eyes but I wasn't 100% Good to get the confirmation :)

Gryffindor

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We use whatever's unscented and on sale here. Initially, we buy the one with the dispenser, then we just look for sales on the refills. I only use them for paws, nails and butts. I've found that the boys become very "dandruffy" if I use them on the bodies.

Sphynx Asylum Mom

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We clean bums as needed and we do tend to inspect after litter pan trips because our two girls have IBD and tend to be softer and need to be cleaned off. As for the cold we purchased a wipe warmer for about $20 and that has helped a ton. They are not shocked by the cold and are less likely to try and run or scratch when we use them.

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We use baby wipes that are mostly water and hypoallergenic but not expensive. We only "do butts" when needed, as you say if theres a little left over there, and never on eyes/faces, just warm water and a soft cloth for those bits.

Calicocious

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I use the earth bath unscented pet wipes. I use them to clean nails and the occasional wipe down between baths. I felt the baby wipes left a film and didn't get the gunk off their nails as well.

Gesundheit

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm fussy, so I go with Earth Bath for pretty much everything. They have a shampoo as well as wipes.

Back