Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Which would be better.....?

Monchchichi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So I've been looking into heated beds for Hudson, it's starting to get cold here in Ontario and i've been noticing the last week or so he's been huddling in areas for warmth and his little feet are always cold. I've been looking at a few beds from PetMate that offer chew resistant cords and temps that dont exceed 102. My only worry is the same with any electrical item, could it be dangerous to leave on while im at work? I've also heard about these Reflective Heat Mats that actually radiate your pets natural body heat and distributes it through out the mat. Has any one used either or, or possibly both that could offer some reviews on which may be better? I would greatly appreciate it. Currently I've been wrapping my heating pad in a blanket for him at night but he sleeps beside me and his body temp is hot enough without the heat pad beside me lol.

gothicmist

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I wouldn't trust leaving it on all day. That is just me though.

dare2Bbare

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I've been wondering the same, I live in Buffalo NY. We are getting cold here too. I know there are heated beds that are weight sensored but they still need to be plugged in. I don't worry about chewing as mine haven't done it but I can see why it may be a concern. The pads look ok but I would want more of an insulated pod of some sort as sphynx like to burrow.

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have two heating pads that I leave on all the time.
I think they are safe, I just make sure they are plugged into a power strip which allows a little more protection against a short, and I make sure the pad I bought are UL listed.

the stats I found lead me to think that as long as you check every so often that the pad is in good shape, you (and the kitties!) will be safe.
references

toms4marisa

Lairian
I have that exact thermal reflective...thing and Dante loves it. I have it on the top layer of his cat condo and EVERY time I come home he is sitting up there all curlled up on it. Definatly a good buy in my opinion. I also have a electric blanket that I keep on my bed(low heat only, but it has 3 settings) for when he sleeps there at night. It has a 3 hour safty timer so after the time is up it just powers off. I turn it on when I'm going to bed and the heat stays in it for about an hour after it has shut off. Purchased the blanket for under $20 on amazon definitely worth every penny!

Obviously the electric blanket will generate more heat and still be safe for Hudson if kept on the right setting, but if you are finically able I would suggest splurging for the 2 to make sure he always has some sort of warmth, it has worked out perfect in my house, hope this helps!

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have two of these in the Mocha color:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Kitty-Fashion-Splash-Heated-Blue/dp/B001AZMYTE/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1316468852&sr=8-12"]Amazon.com: K&H Thermo-Kitty Fashion Splash Heated Cat Mat, Blue: Pet Supplies@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41PwDfcwWPL.@@AMEPARAM@@41PwDfcwWPL[/ame]

They get warm only with the weight of the cat and the cords are protected underneath the fleece. The fleece on the outside can be taken off and washed if you need to, but I have the dirtiest cats in the world and I have yet to take mine off and wash it. I leave them plugged into a power strip and that way they are protected if they short out. They do NOT get very hot on the underside so I don't worry too much about leaving them on while I am gone, and I was very aprehensive about that at first. The cats LOVE them and they are only a few watts, so they don't raise your electric bill too much at all. I've had both the microwave ones and he reflective heat ones and the cats are SO much happier with these!

Jen

susi794

Staff member
I bought heated throws from WalMart for $17 on sale and have had them plugged in for 4 years--mostly on high. They are perfectly safe and my cats adore them. I just recently saw they have them out again, but they were almost $30--wait till Black Friday (the day after
Thanksgiving) as WalMart usually has them featured for cheap. I highly recommend them.
Hugs,
Susi and the gang

bthomas

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Here again, this makes me think I need to get Elvis a heated blanket or bed of some kind!

Monchchichi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I bought heated throws from WalMart for $17 on sale and have had them plugged in for 4 years--mostly on high. They are perfectly safe and my cats adore them. I just recently saw they have them out again, but they were almost $30--wait till Black Friday (the day after
Thanksgiving) as WalMart usually has them featured for cheap. I highly recommend them.
Hugs,
Susi and the gang
I have a heated blanket and smaller heat pad that I've been using for now, but I don't like to leave them plugged in when i'm not home. They do have the auto turn off when they've been on for a certain amount of time and then they automatically come back on. Just worries me tho.
We don't get Black Friday shopping here, I think thats just a States thing. I remember visiting my cousins who live in Florida a couple years back and I experienced my first and LAST black Friday shop. We were at the mall from 5am till 7 pm!!! The lines were INTENSE!