Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Why are sphynx butts dirtier?

I've seen several people talk about crusty butts etc that can lead to staph infections. You would think that without hair it would be less messy? My maine coon is fairly clean in that area despite having ridiculous amounts of fur.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

It depends on the cat.
My Cleo is so clean but Wrinkles is always dirty on the butt.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I think it to depends on the cat but being that the sphynx has no hair you can just see the dirty but better then a cat with hair. :Woo:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I agree with both M2M and ilovemysphynx. Each cat is different with different grooming habits and skin types. Also, withouth hair acting as a buffer zone to protect their skin, their butts tend to get dirtier.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Pedda's butt stays really clean but her anal glands tend to get swelled up. She goes to the vet every couple months to get them cleaned out.

Word of warning: Be prepared for some cat bites if you try to express these glands at home. I got the bright idea of trying that once and it wasn't pretty.

Snuffie stays clean for the most part. Its like she goes through phases..she will go a few weeks with a clean booty and then all of a sudden one day she is a hot mess with booty stains. lol

well Hibou's little rose is always looking a little dirty. It's a fact of life, so I have stopped stressing about it...and she sure dislikes having it wiped...whooo-eeee....the whole neighbourhood hears about!

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
well Hibou's little rose is always looking a little dirty. It's a fact of life, so I have stopped stressing about it...and she sure dislikes having it wiped...whooo-eeee....the whole neighbourhood hears about!
:LOL::LOL: Mo is the same! But I think one of the reasons sphynx struggle with dirty bottoms is to do with sweat. As they sweat all over their bodys unlike furry cats do, when they get hot and sweaty, their bottoms get sweaty too! Especialy if they've had their tails down. And as we know sphynx sweat is coloured! Mo is a red tabby, so he gets an orangey coloured sweat around his bottom when he's been hot and the skin is delicate so it can get a bit dry making it difficult to just wipe or lick (Mo not me!) away! So there you go!!! :BigSmile:

Pedda's butt stays really clean but her anal glands tend to get swelled up. She goes to the vet every couple months to get them cleaned out.

Word of warning: Be prepared for some cat bites if you try to express these glands at home. I got the bright idea of trying that once and it wasn't pretty.
LOL - sorry, but that is funny!