Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

why do sphynx talk / howl?

sphynxjinx

Lairian
i've noticed grim howling and chattering a lot when he's downstairs and i'm upstairs. he knows i'm upstairs and will come by to hang out but while he's downstairs alone he talks a lot. It's super silly, sounds like "helllllooo... baba". I know that this is common, I just want to make sure it isnt because of boredom or anything. He has toys that he plays with, a cat tree and I will play with him when he's into it (doesn't really like pole toys too much). Also food bowl is plentiful. Any insight?

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh completely know exactly what you are talking about :ROFLMAO: Vinnie is extremely talkative and frequently tells a story as he goes about whatever it is he's up to! And YES, it totally sounds like 'Hello?', so I usually say hello back to him :0 He has an extraordinary range of noises and it's hard to imagine something so small can be so loud!! Butchie on the other hand sounds very much like a cat, and has a limited vocal range in comparison.

Kelnym

Lairian
Dublin does this, he'll leave the bedroom where I'm reading, go into the living room and wail away.

A distressed cat sound is very very different, it's pretty unmistakable, so as long as it sounds like your cat is just being silly, then that's what they're doing.

Of note though, vocalizations from cats are for people, so if your cat is making noise, it's for you to hear. So it really is like cat Marco Polo, they probably want you to get up and come play with them.

jjandmoses

Lairian
Moses does this too! Usually hes playing or watching out the window. He sounds nothing like my other cats hes very unique sounding lol he sounds like hes saying no alot too. Like if you pick him up when he dsnt want to be or if you move his blanket a smidge . He also will huff/snort or scoff at things like they’re beneath him its funny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Raphael doesn’t say much too often. She will talk back when she is scolded for something she shouldn’t be doing like stretching up the blinds trying to get the pull cord. She does make a cute little brrrr sound when she walks past you or when she sides up for you to pet her. :)

Kelnym

Lairian
Oh I wish there is a sphynx vid of what this howling sounds like!

It's just a long persistent meow up to the sky.

Dublin's meow is very cute and high pitched, he almost sounds like a bird. I don't know if this is typical for Sphynx.

My Cornish Rex has a more Siamese type meow that sounds like a human infant having a meltdown. It's not cute.

Ten

Lairian
Nora doesn't howl, but she does meow. Usually, it's to tell me that she has pushed her ball under the couch or bed and can't get to it, and she talks incessantly when I get home from work, almost like she's asking me what took me so long getting home. Occasionally, she meows and I can't figure out what she wants, but when she does that it's not usually directed at me. I find the way the communicate fascinating!

Back