Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Why is my sweet boy suddenly a nightmare?!

metagrip

Lairian
Hello all. I’ve been lurking for a while and have been very happy with my sweet baby. I got him July 15th and he’s been great! Until now.

He has gotten into the habit of maximum zoomies that are often violent. On multiple occasions, he has jumped onto my leg and bitten me, attacked my arm, jumped on my back, etc. Then he sprints away. Before he does this, his ears will fold back jet-style and he’ll sprint around zooming - and trampling/leaping over anything in his way. These episodes can go on for long stretches of time. Eventually he settles down and is sweet as can be again. I’m at my wits end. He isn’t safe to have around others if he acts this way. He never kisses or anything, he just is very grumpy like this. This only started about 4 weeks ago.

Some background information:
He was neutered before he came home to me. He was born September 27 2019, so he’s 2 years old recently.
He eats Smalls fresh catfood.
He ALWAYS behaves his bath time, and I haven’t had trouble with that.
He previously never had this issue!
No changes in physical health.

I work long hours at the hospital in surgery and live alone. Is it because he isn’t getting enough stimulation? How do I fix this?

Attachments

• 3DE5B664-DEE6-4A56-9A8F-C5F1484B9B55.jpeg
    3DE5B664-DEE6-4A56-9A8F-C5F1484B9B55.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 48

Misty Lee 123

Lairian
Others will likely have lots to say but I can share some possible insights. My 18month old neutered female Sphynx sometime does this jet eared devil mode and it’s usually if she hasn’t been played with enough, or if play has escalated to a level of overstimulation. She can usually be distracted by a toy. If playing with her is not practical, she can be calmed down by placing her in another room and closing the door for a few minutes. So it may be about stimulation, but possibly something else that other members might speak to.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Oh you have a teenager on your hands. Mischievous as all get out. I would say extra play/exercise regularly might help but boys will be boys. You can also try after playing with him before bed tuck him in a warm blanket out of the dryer…that can hopefully soothe him a bit. But I also would say look into food/treat puzzle to stimulate and tire a bit.
d9c319aab153f6dcee2a6486f7088112.png
. @Misty Lee 123

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Also assess your living situation and environmental side of things what’s changed ? House furniture flooring residents partners products smells routines ETC ETC

Cats get upset when things change.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@metagrip , so glad you decided to jump in and join us and your adorable baby. did I miss his name?

My Toby was a teenage Brat.. he would leap fly thru air to attack , one minute lovin then wild child. it was soo unpredictable. wellness check was fine.

I redirected him to a dog firehouse kicker toy , even had some time outs in the spare bathroom with a litter box and bed.

he would huff n puff get that crazy eye look. it was awful.

I trained him like a dog redirecting and praise treat. I also got a dabird one piece pole toy to wear him out. ( I highly recommend putting away in a closest any string/pole toys unless used supervised.. they can eat strings, parts and cause obstructions.) a dollar store laser worked wonders too

Toby was a terror.. I used to tell him "toby have love" redirect praise treat.
Now he is a sweetie and very mushy. His nickname now is Toby Love. when I say it , he closes his eyes for head smooches.
hang in there. we are here for you.

for peace of mind you can get a wellness check. for my Toby it was just being a brat stage... he is soo cuddly now, would never think it was the same cat.

@Jvandy , sharing what I just replied on this thread the otherday

Attachments

• toby kisses.jpeg
    toby kisses.jpeg
    23.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

metagrip

Lairian
@Yoda mom I’m so happy to finally be a part of the group!! His name is Fisher, he’s the sweetest thing (sometimes). I’ve seen you a lot on here and you always give great advice! I wanted to give a bit of an update.

So, we had our usual vet check up and had our HCM screening and whatall else, everything came back clear to no avail. Well, despite his moodiness we pressed on with our usual routine… nothing out of the ordinary.

Last week Fisher and I moved to a new house as I relocated closer to my day job. Amidst the boxes and everything else, he was pretty excited for a new and more spacious place! Along with this I am no longer gone 4 extra hours in a day of driving to and from work… which means he’s a lot less lonely, and his moods have stopped now that we’ve settled in!! He gets his zoomies and we have playtime and is all worn out when I’m ready for bed.

I think what he needed was a bit of change and some more time around his momma!

Attachments

• ABB28203-03DF-4084-9BF5-C8B8B89FD283.jpeg
    ABB28203-03DF-4084-9BF5-C8B8B89FD283.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 24

Yoda mom

Staff member
@metagrip , hello! love the pic of adorable Fisher. congrats on moving to a new house closer to work. soo happy the vet check and HCM screening came back clear
:)
I bet Fisher loves having more time with momma and spaciousness for zoomies! play time before bed works wonders . look forward to lots of pics and Fisher tales {= jump in and enjoy this fun friendly bunch. we have a numbers game count and change a letter thread I hope you get to join in with us

Lisa Katz

Lairian
I think my kitty sometimes gets overaffectionate with me and tries to bite or scratch a little bit. It does not appear that he is being aggressive, but sometimes out of nowhere he jumps up on my back or grabs hold of my leg. I don't have the heart to say "no" because it does not hurt, I just don't understand the behaviour. The kitten is approx 14 months old and neutered. He has toys and lots of attention since there is always someone at home, but for some reason, he is most aggressive with me. Perhaps it's because I feed him?

Back