Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Why is she Suckling still!?

Bindiandpumpkin

Lairian
My girl kitten keeps trying to suckle my boy kitten!! She tries to suckle him all over and I can imagine it's quite uncomfortable for him, any tips on how to get her to stop? And why does she do this still if she's fully weaned? :bored:

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It is just a comfort thing.... try not to let it bother you. I doubt it is doing any damage - probably at most leaves a red mark - and she will grow out of it in time :)

I found it pretty cute when our boys did it.

Kyla L

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yuri suckles on himself daily. He is one and a half and has no issues. It is extremely comforting for him and he falls asleep after doing it. Yuri will let Nigel suck on him too.

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Rupert did this to Frida when he first came home. My breeder recommended stoping the behaviour when I notice it and keeping them apart when I left the house. I never kept them apart but I did stop it when I saw it and he seems to have grown out of the behaviour. Good luck

Ollie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My Ollie did it lots on us when he was a kitten. He seems to have settled down but still goes into the " suckling zone " from time to time when he wants comfort. He seems in such bliss....doesn't harm anyone. He hasn't tried it on our little girl sphynx thankfully- she hates it enough when he tries to lick her!

nudebea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wilson and Kiwi, soon to be 1 and 8 months respectively, still occasionally suckle on blankets, tends to be when they are sleepy and bedding down. It is gradually getting less often though .

Back