Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Will my 5year old sphynx accept the new cat?

epo

Lairian
The new cat is also a sphynx, 1 year old, both sterilized.
we had a rescued dog for almost a year, and my cat was okay with him. but im afraid its gonna be different with anothet cat.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you. Most do but, it takes times, for some more than, others.
There is lots of people on here to help you with that. My Izmae is my only Princess, so I can't help.
Just going by what others say.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Last edited:

1sphynxlover

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Just be patient, it may take longer than a couple of weeks. I got a rescue 2 months ago and Yoda is still not accepting her. I don't mean to be a downer on the idea, I just want you to know it can take longer. Pinky and Baby Chloe have accepted her, but Yoda is still balking at the idea. This is just my personal experience. my vet and also, Catzzmeow told me it could take months. This is the 1st time I've ever had trouble introducing a new pet to the household. I wish you luck and hope everything goes smoothly.

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yes there is a good chance they will get along, depends on the personalities of the cats though.

Introducing a cat to another cat is very different from introducing a cat to a dog though, and it's best when you take things slowly.

Cats are territorial by nature, so you can't just put them together and expect them to be best buddies straight away.

Here is a good guide to introducing a new cat:
http://sphynxlair.com/community/thr...ynx-cat-or-sphynx-kitten-into-the-home.11304/

epo

Lairian
Thanks for all for the advices.
I remember, few years ago another cat accidently walked into our apartment, and my cat were very agressive with him. It was the only time when I saw my cat agressive, otherwide he is a very calm and nice guy. He even let the dog torture him (playing...) for almost a year. I know a dog puppy is totally different then a new cat (who is one year old).
I plan to keep them in two different rooms, but they will be able to see and smell each other next to the door. I know i have to count with some agressive behaviour in the first time.
I try to upload a photo about my cat. He is really funny and a little fat.
10339680_10152484283869835_1337026808826841497_n.jpg

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all for the advices.
I remember, few years ago another cat accidently walked into our apartment, and my cat were very agressive with him. It was the only time when I saw my cat agressive, otherwide he is a very calm and nice guy. He even let the dog torture him (playing...) for almost a year. I know a dog puppy is totally different then a new cat (who is one year old).
I plan to keep them in two different rooms, but they will be able to see and smell each other next to the door. I know i have to count with some agressive behaviour in the first time.
I try to upload a photo about my cat. He is really funny and a little fat.View attachment 48995
What a cutie! (y) And welcome!

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I dont know all kitties do things in their own time...sometime next year i will be getting a retired kitty that is 5 years old so i just have to see how it goes....like everything give it time it will work out sphynx are not naturally nasty kitties

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Hang in there in a couple/few weeks it should all settle. Just the other day my neighbor stopped by and was recalling how Loki was SO loud yelling at Babas when we brought him home. I mean screaming and howling. Never got nasty, but showed he was NOT happy. It was so funny to watch Babas...he sat in the middle of the floor in "meatloaf position" and Loki screamed and Babas did nothing. Didn't run, didn't hide, just sat there and took the yelling...it was so funny.
Looking forward to hearing how things progress...look at Cleo giving up her throne and sharing with Marcus...now the update by @cleoptra beers lets us know friendships can be made.

patti

Last edited:

epo

Lairian
thank you. I hope in few weeks they will accept each other.
I'm also worried for my cat, that he feels I don't care about him anymore.
Both cats are very nice to me when its just the two of us, even the new cat hugging me and purring. This is the first night, he ate normally, and he will sleep in the next room to the other cat... they have only one door between them.
I heard about this cat pheromone-thing... does it work?

and some pics: yeah, a real-real sphynx :)

CAM00848.jpg

CAM00811.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Many members have reported good results with Feliway plug ins. I would definitely say give it a try according to the comments I have seen in here...it can't hurt.

Cats live in the moment...we all tend to attach our feelings to how we think they feel/think. If they are happy with you alone, then they are just that "happy." Just don't push it...before you know it they will be snuggling.

Patti

epo

Lairian
the first night was silent, except the new kitty meaowed till 3-4am :) but not loudly.
now the situation is: when the two cat are in one room (usually i hold my older cat), the new cat worring and blowing on my cat. and my cat is constantly crying, meaowing. but he is not agressive.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@epo - i kept them in separate rooms and let them out at their comfort level. I used a $2 buck cat dancer toy placed under the door on each side and played and treated with them on both sides tossing treats under the door. I also rotated blankies to cross scent. After a week- I let them see each other briefly they the door- more treats- finally -on limited visits out all together I carry a bag of treats and two pole toys like Da bird to make the interacting fun. I played with them onto their cat tree..

*** I kept the first few interactions short with treats n play- put them back in their rooms on a positive note- each day I increased the time and supervised 110% .. Feeding treats to them all at once - positive reinforcement-

Then I also made sure they got individual cuddle play time- all time consuming but well worth it- I don't want any stress related behaviors or illnesses so I take it slow and make it fun!

I prefer to take it probably slower than most - I don't do a full interaction introduction for a month- that's just me- they all got their separate safari time for the full run of the house - this also cross scents- I hid treats on their cat treats on the other kitties blankies too-

I bought the comfort zone plug ins - on line - there is also a no frills easy open packaging available of comfort zone (6) refills for $59 on line I get. I plugged three in different rooms. Not sure if they work but heck - all is going well with 3 neutered males and a spayed female - I see no difference with the plugi na with our rescue bengal- she takes longer and is perfectly happy in her world with me! She always peeks and even plays under the door with them but has nooo interest in cuddling with the nakids- They run around and she suns in the window.

I look forward to your updates! Great pics btw!

epo

Lairian
thanks.
the old guy in the store, who is a cat professionalist, told me, to open every door, and let the cats be together, just be sure that there is a way to run :)
now i try this. the new cat constantly wrrrrring :) and blowing (sorry, i dont know the english word... :)
my cat not agressive, i guess he wants to pet the new little brother a little. but the new boy doesnt let him close.
feliway already plugged in, but its a heatwave here, i got to open the windows, so maybe its less effective.
some pictures about the situation now :)
and thanks you guys for helping me! means a lot.
sorry for my crappy english. :) i learned it from the tv shows :)

so, few pictures about the current situation. and btw: less and less wrrrr-ing from the new guy. it supposed to be a good sign, right??:)
my cat is try to get closer and closer :)
look at the photo. it must mean something good... process... right?:)
CAM00870.jpg

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Awww they look like they are doing great for just meeting. I have a kitten we brought home in Feb and my boy Hairry still grrrrowls at him every day.

PS your English is great and I understood completely!! :)

epo

Lairian
well, my cat is really interested in the new cat, i guess he wants to play and pet him a little :)
i hope the new cat will accept him soon. now the newbie is in the other room, breathing the feliway air :)

technically i rescued the new sphynx, so no papers at all... but he look like a normal spyhnx, right? (look at the pic down) my oldere one (he is 5 years old) is a little more hairy. this one has no hair at all. and i think there is a problem with his skin, is very greasy, oily, like when you touch crayons. not too good. his previous owner bath him with human shampoo (aaaaahh.....grrr) in every 2-3 day... the guy in the store told me that his skin is dry and his system try to over "oiling" it - sorry dont know what is the good expression. today i bathed him with pet shampoo and its already a little better. poor cat, hates to bath :)

CAM00862.jpg

Wrinkleboo

Lairian
It looks like they will be fine! We introduced my only sphynx to our house which already had 3 resident hairy cats. It took about 3 weeks for the hissing to stop. She doesn't cuddle with them, only us humans, but they otherwise all get along and accepted Boo into the family. We JUST introduced a new kitten (non sphynx) to our house too, and after only 3 days, they all pretty much accept him. They keep him in line and swat/hiss when he gets a little too pushy, but I think that within a few weeks this baby cat of ours will be snuggling with at least one of the older cats.
From your photos it looks like both cats are willing to consider friendship.

Good luck! They're beautiful!

epo

Lairian
the new kitty's tail full of blackheads btw, and it looks really bad. the previous owners was popping them, and i think they caused inflammation... tomorrow we go to the vet.
but the good news that the two cats now feels enough comfy to sleep on the same bed - which is mine. help! bald cat invasion in my bedroom!

Back