Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

window growling

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hello!

Long time no talk- I just posted in chit chat section- it's been far too long!

Anyway, since the weather is finally nice in the North East I've had the windows open. When Sophie gets next to the window she growls and sometimes hisses! I don't see anything out there so I assume its the noises she hears and she's protecting her territory.

My question is, do you think this is stressful to her? She just seems so upset by it but she doesn't move away from the window for some time. I'd hate to leave the house withe the windows open and her just get upset all day. Some windows that she cannot reach are fine but the ones that she can sit by are the ones I'm concerned over.

Thanks guys!

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
LOL Mo growls when he hears noises that he's not used to. I think Sophie probably just growls because it's new to her, she probably sits there because she's interested but at the same time growls to protect herself I think! She will probably stop once the noises become more familiar. Mo growled the other day when he saw a lawn mower outside because he hadn't seen or heard it before! But when he saw it again he wasn't bothered!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hello!

Long time no talk- I just posted in chit chat section- it's been far too long!

Anyway, since the weather is finally nice in the North East I've had the windows open. When Sophie gets next to the window she growls and sometimes hisses! I don't see anything out there so I assume its the noises she hears and she's protecting her territory.

My question is, do you think this is stressful to her? She just seems so upset by it but she doesn't move away from the window for some time. I'd hate to leave the house withe the windows open and her just get upset all day. Some windows that she cannot reach are fine but the ones that she can sit by are the ones I'm concerned over.

Thanks guys!

North East? You said North East?! Woo hoo! I'm in Maine.

I find cat will usually try to avoid things if they are too stressed about them. The growling and hissing at the open windows might just be because she is unfamilar with the new sounds, sights, and smells and isn't quite sure about them (growl fist ask questions later).

As long as your screens are secure and you aren't worried about her getting out, or if the breeze doesn't seem too strong, I would give her some more time to see how she handles the fresh air.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you for your replies!
I was worried I was really upsetting her and going to stress her out. She really likes hanging out by the back door when I have it open and she can look out the screen and she doesn't growl then. It's just by one of the windows behind my couch that she gets all worked up- probably since it's facing the street and there's more activity.

YAY a fellow New England-er! :ThumbsUp: :Smile: I've lived in MA most all my life. I had never been to Maine til last year I took a trip to Bar Harbor and checked out Acadia. SO BEAUTIFUL I had a great time.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
my kitties love watching out the window. my Bea always smacks the window REALLY hard w/ her paws! it sounds like a bird smashing into the window! lol. however, i've never noticed anyone hissing or growling. both my kitties make this whiney, squeekey noise though.

i personally would not leave the window open while gone. i'm always worried my kitties will fall through the screen or scratch it and make a hole. not sure if those are concerns for you though. i have an older window (front window) and the screen is loose, so it worries me a little. i never usually have my window all the way open.

hissing and growling, maybe be a little stressful, but maybe it's her way of playing?...

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like it is just strange noises that bother her, she should get used to them, but if it was that bad she would move and find a new place to sit.
We have the windows open to. Ours just love to lay and catch some sun. we have 1 window in the family room off the back of the house that sits just above a pond we made with some koi and they just love to sit there and watch them.

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Oh my gosh! Kreacher turns into the BIGGEST baby when he's scared. Do any of you remember the movie The Dark Crystal? It was about these two elf creatures, the girl who has wings, go on a journey to put back together some crystal thingy...anyways..there were these creatures in the movie called Skekses, and one in particular made this hich pitched long drowned out "HHHHhhhmmmmmmmmmmm". If you've seen the movie you'll know what i'm talking about. Well, when Kreacher is scared he starts making this noise, and it's all I can do, not to burst out hysterically laughing. :LOL:

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
LOL Mo growls when he hears noises that he's not used to. I think Sophie probably just growls because it's new to her, she probably sits there because she's interested but at the same time growls to protect herself I think! She will probably stop once the noises become more familiar. Mo growled the other day when he saw a lawn mower outside because he hadn't seen or heard it before! But when he saw it again he wasn't bothered!

What a coincidence! I growl when I have to deal with my lawnmower too!!!:LOL::Dizzy::Woo:

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you all! I'm hoping she will get used to the noises.
Luckily, it's not constant -just if she happens to be sitting by the window she will start the growling.

nblolin - I saw that movie so long ago I don't remember but the way you describe it sounds like what Sophie does too :LOL::Hysterical: too funny to picture Kreacher doing it!

klreese - :LOL: the window smacking is hilarious. The only thing Sophie has ever smacked was her water fountain so I had to take it away - water everywhere. :Surprise:. Anyway, thanks for your point about the screen- that was a concern of mine too. I have left the windows open but just cracked- I have the kind that roll out.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Snuffie chatters when she sits in the window. She has growled once but never moves. She yells at us when we shut them at night. Its cute!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
YAY a fellow New England-er! :ThumbsUp: :Smile: I've lived in MA most all my life. I had never been to Maine til last year I took a trip to Bar Harbor and checked out Acadia. SO BEAUTIFUL I had a great time.

As the natives say I'm "from away". I grew up in New York and moved to Maine about 25 years ago. I love the beauty of the state. It's kind of funny but we tend to go to MA and NH when we go on vacation but we went up to Bar Harbor last summer too. We hadn't been there in years. We plan to go back this August.

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hollywood growls at the window especially after dark. Kinda freaks me out sometimes cuz I wonder what he is hearing/seeing. LOL...One day the cable guy rang the doorbell and Hollywood ran to the door and growled just like a watch cat!

apcolleen

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sounds like it is just strange noises that bother her, she should get used to them, but if it was that bad she would move and find a new place to sit.
We have the windows open to. Ours just love to lay and catch some sun. we have 1 window in the family room off the back of the house that sits just above a pond we made with some koi and they just love to sit there and watch them.

I agree, most cats I know, if they dont like something they get outa there fast! Many dont like baths and some do. The ones that dont.... RUN! lol

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Pedda doesn't growl at stuff outside. But she gets excited and claws at the window, then starts making a chittering noise. She isn't scared when she does it, just fascinated by whatever she's watching.

I wouldn't worry about the growling, if she gets too upset she'll probably go hide somewhere. I suspect she'll calm down a lot once she figures out that the outdoor stuff threatening her can't get inside and in her territory.

Back