Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Witch Hazel for Cleaning Nails?

sheryl

Lairian
A fellow Sphynx owner told me that she uses witch hazel for cleaning dirty nail beds. Has anyone else tried this?
Sheryl

lovinsphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I use coconut cooking oil it is in a tub and made by lu ann i rub it all over her after a bath and clean her nails with it, coconut is good to use because of its antibactrial ablities plus since it is a cooking oil it isn't harmful for her when she baths herself, and her skin is super soft i love it.

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I also use coconut oil. Right after I give him a bath, I put some on his butt, a little on his nose, and some on his paws, and i rub a little bit of it all over his skin to keep his skin from drying out. It also helps promote cleaning/licking :)...and he smells really good! lol

sheryl

Lairian
Were you told tea tree oil is dangerous?

Honestly - it was quite a while ago, and I just remember someone telling me, (I'm a groomer) never to use anything with tea tree oil on cats - ear cleaner, shampoo, etc.

sheryl

Lairian
Just did a quick search and found this.....

How poisonous is Tea Tree Oil?
or, how much will it take to kill me?
Tea Tree Oil poisonings are fairly rare, but they do occur. However, there are more common oils and home remedies that are even more toxic. The most common is menthol, found in pain rubs, vaporizer gels and drops, cough drops, mouthwash, chewing tobacco, and a host of other products.
The facts are, tea tree oil, like menthol, other essential oils, and many other substances, is graded on an LD 50 basis. This means, when tested on laboratory animals, the lethal dose needed to kill 50% of the animals is measured, and the results reported as LD50 at a certain number of grams or milligrams by weight.

Tea tree oil toxicity is equal to 1.9 g per kilogram, or about 1/5 teaspoon per pound of body weight. This is considered a lethal dose in 50% of persons or animals administered this dose.

This is why, it is common for folks who are overzealous and uninformed or who have received bad information to poison their own pets, particularly small cats and dogs.

Tea tree oil is toxic to cats. An average cat weighs seven to 12 pounds, and if toxicity were based solely on weight, all things being equal, somewhere between 1 1/2 to 3 teaspoons of tea tree oil would be lethal to 50% of cats given that dose. Before you go putting tea tree oil on your cat or dog, please read this...

Warning for dog and cat owners
But in cats all things are not equal, and their liver is not capable of processing even smaller amounts of tea tree oil. Poisonings are frequent.
Because of this cats should never be treated with anything more than about five drops of tea tree oil per teaspoon of carrier oil. The same thing applies to small, and some medium-sized dogs.

Remember, this is for topical application only. Using a cotton swab or cotton ball only.

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
OMG! Definately not using tea tree oil on him anymore! Thank you so much for that information. I am very overly protective of George and I could never forgive myself if he became sick from his tea tree oil shampoo. :(

Back