Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Wobbly Back End

samsargent26

Lairian
The oddest thing happened, my sphynx has acted fine recently no issues with health, just had a checkup in May and bloodwork and everything was fine. He was laying on my bed and I went to lay beside him and he seemed wobbly. He crawled over me and his back legs seemed to drag. I tried to stand him up and it seemed his back legs just gave out. This episode only last maybe a minute if that. I sat him on the floor and its like his strength came back and he took off. I have been watching him over the past hour now and now issues. He's playing, running, and acting like his usual wild self at night time. Anyone had a problem similar to this?

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sorry to hear this has happened to your boy. Something similar happened to my Rankle in January. He dragged himself into the living room unable to use his back legs and wet himself. I wasn't home but my husband called to say get home right now. By the time I got back less than 20 minutes later, Rankle was back to his usual self. I couldn't even tell anything had happened. Took him to the vet and they didn't know what it was. We've kept a close eye on him since but have had no repeat episodes. I hope your boy gets the all clear from the vet.

Sheldon13

Staff member
How very strange. My first thought is also a thromboembolism (clot)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

samsargent26

Lairian
Thanks to everyone for the replies. After a heavy vet bill :rolleyes: Bentley seems to be doing okay. The vet checked his blood pressure in each leg, checked his heart, and did an overall wellness check. She didn't find anything alarming or that would be up for concern. She said this is an odd occurrence, but she started him on some anxiety serum that may have been one factor of the so called "seizure". He's been purrrfectly fine since the last incident, so maybe he was just faking an illness...

Yoda mom

Staff member
awhhh hugs
bless you for the follow up vet visit tests..

I first thought of idopathic seizure... the other thought not to alarm but to share to keep an eye out for...
was to ask the vet if any possibility at all of small saddle thrombosis clot that could have passed.... my girl had episodes of rear paralysis from clot that often passed before we got to the vet ... but hers was acoompanied by gutteral vocalization and loss of bowels.... then the clot would pass and she was up and running like nothing happened.
there was no specific test to see if it was a clot that and passed..

.just keep monitoring signs and recommend video taping an episodes.. i know that is hard when we are trying to comfort our babies but it was helpful to my vet

hugs n head smooches
btw what meds did vet give?

Sheldon13

Staff member
Thanks to everyone for the replies. After a heavy vet bill :rolleyes: Bentley seems to be doing okay. The vet checked his blood pressure in each leg, checked his heart, and did an overall wellness check. She didn't find anything alarming or that would be up for concern. She said this is an odd occurrence, but she started him on some anxiety serum that may have been one factor of the so called "seizure". He's been purrrfectly fine since the last incident, so maybe he was just faking an illness...

lol so a kitty hypochondriac?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back