Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

wondering about collars

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've been hesitant to ask this til now but I need to know!

I've seen some pictures of sphynx with collars and then many with no collar. Is it that you only have them wear collars sometimes like wearing jewelry?

I realize as indoor cats there's not a need for a collar but is it that you take it off for comfort?

Thanks!

Brooke

Banned
I've been hesitant to ask this til now but I need to know!

I've seen some pictures of sphynx with collars and then many with no collar. Is it that you only have them wear collars sometimes like wearing jewelry?

I realize as indoor cats there's not a need for a collar but is it that you take it off for comfort?

Thanks!

Hi Heather,
I only put the collar on mine on the rare occasion that they go outside, either for a walk on the leash or for a trip to the vet. And that's just a precaution just in case one of them - God forbid - got away from me and would need to be identified. They don't ever wear their collars in the house.

I think Walter would be angry all the time if he had to wear it :Angry: He prefers to be totally naked! :LOL:

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi Heather! It's personal preference. My little Stella's neck was too small for the collar that I purchased for her around the time she came into our lives, so she's gone without one. I put it on her a couple of months ago only to find she thought it was a toy and didn't understand why I wanted her to wear it. Sometimes I'll place a "pearl necklace" on her for photos. :) I would love to make her a bandanna. . .

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
When Kramer was little we had a collar with a bell because he would get under foot; but we had to take it off because it irritated his neck so now he only wears when he is outside of the house.

Allison

Lairian
Putting a collar on any cat is a dangerous thing unless it has a self release should it get hooked up on something.

We don't put collars on ours as they seldom go outside and so don't need to be belled (protects native wildlife), and if they travel with us they are on our shoulders, not walking on the ground like the riff-raff (lol!)

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I tried a collar on Kreacher, but immidiately took it off. He did not like it, and ended up getting his bottom jaw stuck underneath it, which scared the daylights out of me!! It was one of those collars that are supposed to break away..which it did not! I had him microchipped when he was neutered (In case he ever got away), and I will never but anything on him like that again, with the exception of a harness so I can take him for walks :)

Moonstone

Lairian
I don't put collars, because they don't go outside, and because they will never support them.
When we go out they are in a box, so no need to wear a collar.

Even my dogs, they don't wear a collar at home, only when we go outside, with a leash of course.

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I thought about collars, especially when I leave town occasionally just in case they did manage to slip by my petsitter or something, but I've also never found a collar that doesn't irritate their neck, so neither of mine wear collars.

NakedbyNature

Lairian
We usually leave all our nakeds bare as well but we do have collars for outings and for some photos but usually mostly they go bare !!

Virginia

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Piglet doesn't wear a collar (she doesn't like it), but she does okay on a harness and leash when she goes outside. I'm glad that she doesn't mind the harness and leash, since she'll be required to wear them at all times when we start our pet therapy visits.

Back