Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Words vs. Slang!

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I can't sleep, so I decide to post a new thread...

What words do you:
1) Dislike and
2) Why? (Keep it clean and user-friendly for the many users of the Lair!)

I dislike the word OK or okay, because it does not really have a good base. It stands for "Old Kinderkook", which was Martin Van Buren's nickname, and he used to write "OK" on documents and papers, when they had his approval. So, when things were "OK'd", they were passed and "good to go". I know ALL words were essentially made up but for some reason, I can't get passed this one, as I am not a big fan of abbreviations. Such as in the use of text messages, I always need to spell out you, are, and such words (although I do use etc, and et. Al appropriately). I think it was considered slang back in the 1800s and is now considered a common word.

I've tried to censor my use of this word and clearly have not done a good job, as I was recently mocked by over use of "Mmm-Kay?" in the form of a question.

What words bother you?

Jen

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm not sleeping either, unfortunately I gotta work in the night! For the record,I think mmm-kay is worse than saying ok. Lol. Great info on where ok came from!
I hate hate hate the "c" word.
I hate the word "dollop", like in that sour cream commercial- a dollop of Daisy. Ugh. Don't know why but it makes me cringe.
Another is "jowls", Ewwww
And I don't like the word "fetus". Cringe!

Caloci

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I dislike the "word" irregardless. I dislike the fact that it is now actually a word.

I dislike the word cumulative as well. I had an instructor on one of my military courses who pronounced it Ka-mule-a-tiv which drove me crazy.

I do not like much of the newer slang such as jelly or cray.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I can't sleep, so I decide to post a new thread...

What words do you:
1) Dislike and
2) Why? (Keep it clean and user-friendly for the many users of the Lair!)

I dislike the word OK or okay, because it does not really have a good base. It stands for "Old Kinderkook", which was Martin Van Buren's nickname, and he used to write "OK" on documents and papers, when they had his approval. So, when things were "OK'd", they were passed and "good to go". I know ALL words were essentially made up but for some reason, I can't get passed this one, as I am not a big fan of abbreviations. Such as in the use of text messages, I always need to spell out you, are, and such words (although I do use etc, and et. Al appropriately). I think it was considered slang back in the 1800s and is now considered a common word.

I've tried to censor my use of this word and clearly have not done a good job, as I was recently mocked by over use of "Mmm-Kay?" in the form of a question.

What words bother you?

Jen
I can attest that okay - or OK - is in fact now "K" in the world of text message which irks me when I see it...:confused:

cleozmama

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Caloci, I'm with you on irregardless ! Double negative non-standard English! It raises the hairs on the back of my neck. The other word is "snuck", also NSE. It galls me to hear broadcast professionals say it! And what about meteorologists who say "tempachur"? GRRRRRRR!!!

Jen, I'm with you on "internet abbreviations" with very few exceptions.
(OMG, ROFLMAO, LOL are about it for me). I am, however, okay with ok. LOL

Last edited:

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Can't think of an English word right now but what I think is cringeworthy is the trend in The Netherlands to use English words when there's a perfectly normal Dutch word for it.
For example, there are Dutch translators who use "kids" in subtitles in stead of "kinderen" (the Dutch word). I have no idea why, maybe because it's shorter?
Anyways (hihi, it's actually in my text prediction), that is what really grinds my gears!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I dislike when some one says "any who." I do cringe inside.
I am not bothered when people text and shorten words. I think of messaging as the quickest shortest way to get your point across and I am more lax with misspellings. I feel differently about emails though. I try not to shorten them and spell correctly.

patti

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I dislike when some one says "any who." I do cringe inside.
I am not bothered when people text and shorten words. I think of messaging as the quickest shortest way to get your point across and I am more lax with misspellings. I feel differently about emails though. I try not to shorten them and spell correctly.

patti

I agree about e-mails, people don't treat them as they would a written letter, even when it's something official. Is it really too much trouble to begin with a header and spell correctly? I mean every computer has spelling check on it so it's not that hard!!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'd have to really sit and think about what word bothers me, but I can tell you that I totally agree with @andreanar on "dollop"! You will never hear me using that word unless we are discussing a sour cream commercial!

I also don't like to hear "catsup"! <cringe

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I dislike the "word" irregardless. I dislike the fact that it is now actually a word.

I dislike the word cumulative as well. I had an instructor on one of my military courses who pronounced it Ka-mule-a-tiv which drove me crazy.

I do not like much of the newer slang such as jelly or cray.
What's "jelly"? Besides shoes or bracelets? Not a fan of cray/crah myself!

Jen

muddpuddles01

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Aside from the normal asinine, accurately stereotypical Southern gems like "y'all" and "ain't", which I loathe, "irregardless" drives me positively bonkers, the word "armpit" makes me cringe (axilla sounds much nicer anyway), and I DETEST the word "yonder". Oh my goat I just want to stab someone in the kneecaps when they say yonder!

ElvirasMum

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Aside from the normal asinine, accurately stereotypical Southern gems like "y'all" and "ain't", which I loathe, "irregardless" drives me positively bonkers, the word "armpit" makes me cringe (axilla sounds much nicer anyway), and I DETEST the word "yonder". Oh my goat I just want to stab someone in the kneecaps when they say yonder!

You would stab 'em in the kneecaps because that's all you can reach, shorty! :p

I also hate it when people pronounce 'Pittsburgh' as 'Pixberg'!
But as I'm from Pittsburgh, I do speak 'Pittsburghese' where we have our own sort of language that includes: dahtahn for downtown, sathside for southside, slippy for slippery, wursh for wash, spicket for faucet, gumband for rubberband, turrible for terrible, n'at for and that, buggy for shopping cart, and the ever favored jeetjet for did you eat yet. There is actually a Pittsburghese to English translation guide for those not from here to understand Pittsburghers!

assibassi

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Can't think of an English word right now but what I think is cringeworthy is the trend in The Netherlands to use English words when there's a perfectly normal Dutch word for it.
For example, there are Dutch translators who use "kids" in subtitles in stead of "kinderen" (the Dutch word). I have no idea why, maybe because it's shorter?
Anyways (hihi, it's actually in my text prediction), that is what really grinds my gears!

@Inflamed - wow my Mom cant speak English and she said the word "Sale" the other day when we skyped and I said "What did you just say ?" She said "Sale" they use this word here now you know ! ? I said, no i dont know ! Haa its just funny that they use even in Germany so many English words now, that they never used back in the day .

@muddpuddles01 - I so hear you with the Ax word. All the young kids now speak and write this "lingo" that is so hacked up. They write that even how they speak it and it drives me insane! I want to correct them so badly. But I am a foreigner, so who am I to tell someone how English is spoken or written. Hahahaha !!
I say a lot of German words while at work, just today someone was looking for "khaki" pants and i said pronounced "have you seen the Kaaaahkees?" Just as I would say the word in german and my Boss laughed so hard and said Car keys ???? Who is looking for Car keys ??

So yeah I always try to write and speak usually properly and without too many mistakes and it drives me crazy when someone butchers the language by speaking the kiddy lingo .

muddpuddles01

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You would stab 'em in the kneecaps because that's all you can reach, shorty! :p

I also hate it when people pronounce 'Pittsburgh' as 'Pixberg'!
But as I'm from Pittsburgh, I do speak 'Pittsburghese' where we have our own sort of language that includes: dahtahn for downtown, sathside for southside, slippy for slippery, wursh for wash, spicket for faucet, gumband for rubberband, turrible for terrible, n'at for and that, buggy for shopping cart, and the ever favored jeetjet for did you eat yet. There is actually a Pittsburghese to English translation guide for those not from here to understand Pittsburghers!
You're one to talk, small fry! :LOL:

muddpuddles01

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@muddpuddles01 - I so hear you with the Ax word. All the young kids now speak and write this "lingo" that is so hacked up. They write that even how they speak it and it drives me insane! .
My cousin is 21 and has the worst habit of doing this! He tries to act all tough and speak like a "gangster" and call people "bruh". He goes out of his way to type it out exactly like that. It's bad enough hearing it, but seeing it written out that way is an affront to the very delicacy of my nature. I hate it so much! It doesn't look/sound impressive in any capacity; it simply changes his image from 'scrawny white boy from rural South Carolina' to 'UNEDUCATED scrawny white boy from rural South Carolina'.

Back