Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Work has Stopped! W

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well.... I am laid off now for a few weeks... going to go back to another company, this economy is killing construction work. I haven't done horribly this year...there are some guys that haven't worked at all! But I am getting necessary stuff done that I can't get done when i was working. Next Wednesday I am having another epidural in my back... can't somewhat wait- pain free (hopefully as long as it works):ThumbsUp:. And getting my Dr. appointments done since I can NEVER go when i am working. And RESTING! It is great when a Dr. tells you you need a surgery but doesn't want to do because you are to young & once you will have it done you won't be able to work in your field anymore so to just deal with the pain as long as possible! SOOOOOOOOO frustrating!

Brooke

Banned
Well.... I am laid off now for a few weeks... going to go back to another company, this economy is killing construction work. I haven't done horribly this year...there are some guys that haven't worked at all! But I am getting necessary stuff done that I can't get done when i was working. Next Wednesday I am having another epidural in my back... can't somewhat wait- pain free (hopefully as long as it works):ThumbsUp:. And getting my Dr. appointments done since I can NEVER go when i am working. And RESTING! It is great when a Dr. tells you you need a surgery but doesn't want to do because you are to young & once you will have it done you won't be able to work in your field anymore so to just deal with the pain as long as possible! SOOOOOOOOO frustrating!

I'm sorry to hear you're laid off - hopefully it's very temporary! The good thing about the economy is that investors can start buying up a lot of land while prices are low and then soon you'll have so much construction work you won't know what to do with yourself! (Hoping that happens sooner than later...)

I have 3 herniated disks in my neck and 1 in my low back...no stranger to those epidural injections. They have been a total lifesaver! How many have you had? I've noticed that every time I get one, it doesn't work as well as the one before it. Do you have that problem? Same as you, my doctors are telling me to think about surgery but I'm too young, and the surgery isn't 100%..it's so frustrating. :Angry: I'm going to hold out as long as possible, and wait until the epidurals don't work at all, and the pain meds don't work anymore. I think I'll have to be worse off than I am now to put myself through the risk.

I went for several months after my accident were I couldn't even walk, and there are other people with problems a lot worse than mine, so I still count my blessings every day - but it still really sucks to live in constant pain, and also to know that it will never go away. :ThumbsDown:

Maximus

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Lay offs a rough, I watched my parents get laid off, go back to work, get laid off again, my whole life. This economy is scary but I'm hoping it teaches people some valuable lessons. Being laid off is a great time to get all that stuff done and some good old R & R. I'm sure the boys wouldn't be obliged to relax with you while your home! Good luck with everything Kerrie...

Last edited by a moderator:

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm sorry to hear you're laid off - hopefully it's very temporary! The good thing about the economy is that investors can start buying up a lot of land while prices are low and then soon you'll have so much construction work you won't know what to do with yourself! (Hoping that happens sooner than later...)

I have 3 herniated disks in my neck and 1 in my low back...no stranger to those epidural injections. They have been a total lifesaver! How many have you had? I've noticed that every time I get one, it doesn't work as well as the one before it. Do you have that problem? Same as you, my doctors are telling me to think about surgery but I'm too young, and the surgery isn't 100%..it's so frustrating. :Angry: I'm going to hold out as long as possible, and wait until the epidurals don't work at all, and the pain meds don't work anymore. I think I'll have to be worse off than I am now to put myself through the risk.

I went for several months after my accident were I couldn't even walk, and there are other people with problems a lot worse than mine, so I still count my blessings every day - but it still really sucks to live in constant pain, and also to know that it will never go away. :ThumbsDown:

I should be back to work at the end of next week or the week after... honestly i was hoping for a little longer. I do have the same problems with the epidurals too; the ones in my neck have never worked for me though only my back ones have worked. The last one i had in my back was in 07' so I figure 2 years isn't too bad... i needed it way earlier in the year but it is too hard to take off work in my industry. I need a 4 vertebrae spinal fusion in my neck so i frequently loose feeling in my arms & have 2 herniated but partially deteriorated discs in my back, and on top of that crap I have Lupus too... so 9 times out of 10 something always hurts. After my accident I couldn't really walk... i had 2 broken legs & my left kneecap was torn off so I gradually upgraded from wheelchair, walker, crutches... then walking. I look at things much like you... one of my best friends died in my accident & it should have been me but for some reason I'm still here (well it is because of the hubby). But like you said there are people worse off than us! Although sometimes it gets so bad that you get frustrated with it!

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sorry to hear you are laid off. You definitely seem to be looking at this in a positive light despite it all! Good luck next Wednesday, hope the pain is alleviated.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you get some time off, I am off today and thankful for 1 day and I work in A office like I have said before you are amazing for what you do.
You accident story is so sad but amazing at the same time, I am so sorry about your friend.
All that you went thru is just crazy, I am sure it was A long road but your recovery is amazing!

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My doctor said the same thing about doing my back surgery so I tried the epidural which was totally embarassing. Because they give you that stuff to make you feel like your sleeping even though your not...anyway I was so drugged out that then the doctor came back to check on me. I pointed at him with a silly grin and said "I wasn't scared of you because you have kitty cats on your shirt":Pudently: Then when the first one didn't take I had to go for a second one and this time the doctor was sure to point out that he was not wearing kitty cat scrubs this time. Nope this time when I came out of it I started to talk really loudly at my mom like she was deaf that I just had to go shopping at super walmart. This time the doctor had to convince me that I was in no shape to go shopping anywhere especially walmart. Where I then crossed my arms and began to pout saying it wasn't fair I wanted to go:LOL: After that I told the doctor it was time for surgery so I wouldn't have to embarass myself anymore. :Laugh:

Brooke

Banned
My doctor said the same thing about doing my back surgery so I tried the epidural which was totally embarassing. Because they give you that stuff to make you feel like your sleeping even though your not...anyway I was so drugged out that then the doctor came back to check on me. I pointed at him with a silly grin and said "I wasn't scared of you because you have kitty cats on your shirt":Pudently: Then when the first one didn't take I had to go for a second one and this time the doctor was sure to point out that he was not wearing kitty cat scrubs this time. Nope this time when I came out of it I started to talk really loudly at my mom like she was deaf that I just had to go shopping at super walmart. This time the doctor had to convince me that I was in no shape to go shopping anywhere especially walmart. Where I then crossed my arms and began to pout saying it wasn't fair I wanted to go:LOL: After that I told the doctor it was time for surgery so I wouldn't have to embarass myself anymore. :Laugh:

HAHA!! That's hilarious...I did something similar coming out of anesthesia. I was referring to the nurse "with the big hair" while she was standing right in front of me. And, when they tried to offer me cookies I refused and demanded they give me buffalo chicken wings. :LOL: Thank god I don't remember any of it, but my sister had a good laugh!! I bet those nurses hear the funniest stuff every day.

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm sorry to hear about your back pain and that you were laid off. I hope everything works out for you! Fortunately your computer is working so you can easily browse through Sphynxlair and distract yourself from current worries !

susi794

Staff member

Oh, Kerrie,
I can totally understand...I had a head-on car accident about 6 years ago that broke several ribs tore half my abdominal wall from my pelvis--I was a week in the hospital and a month in a nursing home. When I first came home was on oxygen 24 hrs. a day and could only stand up for 15 seconds. I finally got off the oxygen, and graduated to a wheelchair, went back to work after half the school year was done (I am so fortunate in that I am a teacher and could continue to work from a chair.) I am unable to have surgery to repair the ENORMOUS hernia, that causes me such pain and difficulty with balance, etc. I can walk a lot better now, but the pain is constant--one of my kidneys and all my intestines are no longer in my body cavity itself--they are all in the hernial sac. I don't use my wheelchair much anymore unless I have to walk more than about 5 minutes in duration, I am extremely lopsided and sleeping is difficult, but I am alive and am blessed with a lot of people who I am happy to call my friends. Life is harder, but it's still good.

I know our lives can change forever in the blink of an eye and I pray that the epidural helps you and that you can hold out long enough on the corrective surgery to arrange an alternative way to make a living. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I am so sorry to hear of all of the injuries out there! My husband eas in 2 serious car accidents 3 years apart (to the day!). He also has trouble with his back.
I must say, though, that the epidural stories made me laugh! :Smile:

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I was in one bad car accident... but the last one was a doozey:Cry:.... our boat was run over by a barge & it sank; it was on the news for a week over here when it happened.

susi794

Staff member
OMG, you should just hide in the house! Don't mean to laugh about something so serious, so please forgive me...just struck me as funny--if not for bad luck, sounds like you'd have none at all.

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Actually I laughed about when it was happening... If I didn't I probably would have killed myself! It was just like seriously what else could go wrong then something else would & all I could do was laugh even though I was frustrated... Laughter is the best medicine!

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Going in tomorrow for my epi... so excited! :BigSmile:

Although I feel like a gremlin the way they always tell you the directions ..."no food or water after midnight" :LOL:

Brooke

Banned
Going in tomorrow for my epi... so excited! :BigSmile:

Although I feel like a gremlin the way they always tell you the directions ..."no food or water after midnight" :LOL:

Good luck!! I hope this one works really well! :LOL: Gremlin...

Be sure to tell us if you do/say anything silly coming out of anesthesia...:Laugh:

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Good luck!! I hope this one works really well! :LOL: Gremlin...

Be sure to tell us if you do/say anything silly coming out of anesthesia...:Laugh:

I usually get bossy! LOL! I'm so immune to anesthesia after being knocked out so much! LOL!

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks Everyone... I am waiting for my dad to come pick me up to take me for the epi now & I am so :Angry::Angry::Angry: because I am so thirsty & hungry.... Jay was laughing at me because Mountain Dew is like my coffee & I can only put it in my mouth & spit back out! I'm weird! :Surprise:

Back