Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Worried about my kitty

Umephere

Lairian
Hi! I have had my kitten Umephere, Umie for short, since August. I've been around sphynxes since I was 10, and she is having some issues I have never seen before this consistently and this badly. She was really, really small, like 3 pounds at 4 months old and would eat like a rabbid animal. (she still does). She has gained a little bit of weight I believe she is 5 maybe 6 pounds at 9 months. She is so tiny though, not long at all looks like a baby. She also has diarrhea at least once a day. They smell horribly and she farts, like audible human farts, quite often. I've taken her to the vet a few times and the first time they did nothing, the second time they told me her behavior towards food, super aggressive, can't be around while we eat, will steal food out of your hands, is because she was allergic to her food, most likely chicken in it. I hadn't changed her from the food from the breeder yet so I put her on Canidae limited ingredient dry food, and BFF wet food, but of course no chicken. So her diet is incredibly limited. Then they said she just has gas bubbles, but that was months ago and the kind of gas she is having sounds painful and I worry for her. I have her on a probiotic, also omegas and l-lysine for good measure. Does anyone have any ideas about what this could be or experienced anything similar? (Also she gets weird red bumps whenever she gets her bath or she gets pulled away from human food or gets grumpy, so im assuming its an anger thing, and will attach pictures when I see them next, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this either?)

Thank you!!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi! I have had my kitten Umephere, Umie for short, since August. I've been around sphynxes since I was 10, and she is having some issues I have never seen before this consistently and this badly. She was really, really small, like 3 pounds at 4 months old and would eat like a rabbid animal. (she still does). She has gained a little bit of weight I believe she is 5 maybe 6 pounds at 9 months. She is so tiny though, not long at all looks like a baby. She also has diarrhea at least once a day. They smell horribly and she farts, like audible human farts, quite often. I've taken her to the vet a few times and the first time they did nothing, the second time they told me her behavior towards food, super aggressive, can't be around while we eat, will steal food out of your hands, is because she was allergic to her food, most likely chicken in it. I hadn't changed her from the food from the breeder yet so I put her on Canidae limited ingredient dry food, and BFF wet food, but of course no chicken. So her diet is incredibly limited. Then they said she just has gas bubbles, but that was months ago and the kind of gas she is having sounds painful and I worry for her. I have her on a probiotic, also omegas and l-lysine for good measure. Does anyone have any ideas about what this could be or experienced anything similar? (Also she gets weird red bumps whenever she gets her bath or she gets pulled away from human food or gets grumpy, so im assuming its an anger thing, and will attach pictures when I see them next, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this either?)

Thank you!!
Hello,
Sorry to hear of this issue. Please look at this post - Sphynx cat with Diarrhea (Giardia) many vets will treat "just in case" with Metronidazole (Flagyl). It won't hurt to treat them for it if not sure, fecal tests can give false negatives in many cases. I would rule Giardia before the allergy issue. :)

Welcome by the way!

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
@Toa and Ross has a little girl she just adopted that had started farting and having diarrhea, she did find out it was a parasite . Often vets can test for Giardia and it does not show up but they actually have it. I just tagged her and I am sure she will respond.

Patti

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
If the Vet, you, go to, doesn't take more interest, about, finding
out, what, is wrong, I would get another Vet.
It could be Guardia, plus allergies.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Toa and Ross has a little girl she just adopted that had started farting and having diarrhea, she did find out it was a parasite . Often vets can test for Giardia and it does not show up but they actually have it. I just tagged her and I am sure she will respond.

Patti
Thanks Patti!

Hello @Umephere and welcome to sphynxlair.
My girl Jade is with me for 4 weeks now. She's almost two years old and a retired breeder.
One day after she came live with me she did get diarrhea. The vet thought it was caused by stress. A few days later she had diarrhea more then 10 times a day and she was farting a lot (poop came with the farts). It smelled awful!
The vet did a giardia test. It tested negative. Because the test is not super reliable the vet decided that we would start with meds against parasites (stomorgyl, the dutch word for the meds, metronidazole is in it), also covering giardia. I had to give it to my both boys also. The poop farts and diarrhea is gone now. Jade still has very soft poop. But first I want her to get really settled before I try something new.

My boy Toa had a lot of diarrhea too when he came to live with me (as a kitten, 13 weeks old). He farted a lot too. He turned out to be allergic to grain. I only did find out that was the problem when I started feeding raw food. Since that moment he had solid poops!

Hope you find the solution for Umephere

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Umephere I'm sorry you are worrying about Umie with these issues. Like @Hairless Blessing said, get another vet if this vet doesn't do more to help Umie.
It very well may be a combination of a parasite and a food allergy. Until you post a photo of those red bumps, it's difficult to say what they are or might be. First thing that came to my mind was hives. If it's hives, it would be an allergic reaction to something obviously.

I used to have a ton of loose poop and bad gas issues here with my first two guys in particular. My first guy always had loose poop and my second guy had loose poop, but the worst gas imaginable. You couldn't pick him up without his gassy butt exploding toxic fumes your way!

First thing I did was add 100% pure pumpkin in the can to their food. That did firm up that loose poop for sure. We didn't have a parasite here, but my second guy was on lots of stomach meds from time to time and even had to get IV fluids many times as well. There was also vomiting issues with him and sometimes I'd see a bit of blood. There was also some blood in the litterbox as well!

It was not until I finally, finally changed their high quality food to a grain-free diet did every stomach issue come to a complete stop!

I'm not telling you to only change the food, you certainly want a good vet to check out the problem, but it's something to keep in mind if all else comes back negative. It might be the easiest fix. It certainly will not hurt to be put on medicine right now though (Flagyl). It tastes HORRIBLE so if you have to give it to Umie, you might want it in pill form and hide it in a tiny piece of cheese or something else yummy, Pill Pockets maybe too or you can use a pill shooter.

Keep us up-to-date with these issues and wishing you the best of luck in resolving these issues quickly.

Trisha

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi and Welcome!

If you are worried about her size and weight, I wouldn't be.
My Gemma was only 2.5 lbs when I got her at 3 months. She's a year and 3 months now and she is barely 6 lbs. She also eats a lot, but she is also very very active.

I've discovered she's allergic to chicken too. I had given her some once and she developed red dots all over her face and back and was throwing up. It cleared up after a few days after switching back to her regular food (royal canin) and a bath/coconut oil scrub.
She also gets car sick now when she is in the carrier on trips. I have to be the passenger and hold her on my lap to stop her from throwing up. -It's probably her nerves, but I think she has a sensitive stomach too.

I agree with the others though,- if you think the gas and diarrhea is not normal, have her checked for parasites.

Keep us posted!

Umephere

Lairian
The vet gave me flagyl for her on one of her vists two months back, and no change :( Also she is on a completely grain free diet already! But I'll definetly try adding pumpkin!!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The vet gave me flagyl for her on one of her vists two months back, and no change :( Also she is on a completely grain free diet already! But I'll definetly try adding pumpkin!!
By the way, I meant to mention this earlier:
Not all cats are the same size as kittens growing up or once they become an adult. Females do tend to be more petite than males.
Let's put her weight aside for a moment, is she skinny? Are her bones showing?
In the meantime, you can give her a high calorie supplement such as this one that I buy in Petsmart by GNC:

upload_2016-2-5_14-52-46.png

Umephere

Lairian
She is very skinny in my opinion, she used to be skinnier, like I could see all her ribs, so she has gained weight. I can still see some of her ribs, especially when she breathes. And some of her spine.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I would discuss possible parasites with your vet again and discuss her weight and your concerns. If you feel you might need a second opinion after that, then seek another vet. Seeing ribs and spine are not the norm.
Here is a chart to help as well.

Patti

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
She is very skinny in my opinion, she used to be skinnier, like I could see all her ribs, so she has gained weight. I can still see some of her ribs, especially when she breathes. And some of her spine.
Skinny isn't good especially for a growing kitten, but it is good that she isn't as skinny as she was.
Just because a vet is a vet, it doesn't mean they know everything. Maybe seek another one in your area with more experience.

Has your vet tested her to see if she tests positive for the corona virus? If not, I would have that test performed.

lapril

Lairian
Hi Umephere,
I'm so sorry to hear about your baby. It can be very scary when you know your boo boo isn't feeling well:( My kitties both have horrible :yuck: diarrhea if fed most types of canned and kibble foods. Even if the consistency isn't liquid, the smell is absolutely putrid.
I would highly recommend trying to feed raw.
I've used Nature's Variety, Primal, and Radcat prepackaged raw foods. The babies prefer Primal in the beef protein flavor.
I also highly recommend freeze dried raw. I actually prefer it because it's less of a hassle. Just add water to rehydrate and you're done. I've used Primal, Stella and Chewy's, and The Honest Kitchen Prowl. I've only been using The Honest Kitchen Prowl for the past week, but Ezio and Clementine love it.

Foods that gave my sphynxes loose or too stinky poos: anything from the grocery store, anything canned, anything kibble. This includes so-called "grain free" foods. They simply don't contain enough protein for our cats.

I think The Honest Kitchen Prowl is one of the more affordable freeze dried options. Of course, making your own raw food makes the price drop substantially.

Also, Ezio used to get red bumps after baths. I figured out it was caused by the soap. I stopped using it. Haven't found an alternative...

Last edited:

Umephere

Lairian
Sorry I've been very busy studying for school!

This is the only picture I have of her whole body, she is hardly ever still unless shes snuggled under the covers.

I also bought some Primal Raw and I've started switching her over, I'm sad because my fur baby, who I've had since I was 14, has urinary crystals and has been on prescription food and I did research and was hopeful I could finally get him off that food, but even the tiniest ammount makes him throw up :( But Umie really likes the raw food so far! Hopefully she'll gain some weight and it will help her tummy.

Thanks everyone for your help!!

Attachments

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Umephere the photo isn't the best because it's a little distant and she not standing up straight on all fours, but from what I see, I would not say that she's skinny at all.

I hope the new food works out for her though. Keep us informed.

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would say that her weight looks pretty healthy from what I can tell in that photo. Have you asked your vet about her weight? My girl Frida weighs about 7lbs and looks very similar to your girl. My vet is extremely happy with her weight. Frida also eat a lot. She eats about 1/2 a pound of meat per day in the winter(she eats a bit less in the summer). That is about double the amount recommended based on her weight by most sources. I think that it is because she is both very active and because Sphynx need to expend more energy warming themselves. Frida also used to clear the room with her smells but is no longer stinky on the raw food diet. I also she can eat vegetable free canned foods no problem. Grain free wasn't good enough. The red spots in combo with the stinkies sound like an allergy to me.
Good luck and keep us updated.