Welcome to the Sphynxlair community! A community dedicated to the Sphynx breed!

Worried about size of my kitten

Hi! I night just be a worry wart but I'm concerned about the weight and size of my kitten. She is about 8 months old and is only 6lb. The doctor says she has great muscle tone but she is just so tiny! She eats like a horse and is a food thief so I know she is getting enough to eat. Plus she has a little pot belly. I feed her mostly boiled chicken (because she is a diva and will only pick at her dry food). Her dry food is core wellness. My dad spoils her so she has been eating a variety of human foods as well. Should I be concerned about her weight?

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Please feel free to share a pic of her. I use the guideline our breeder uses with spay/neutering 5 pounds is about right at 6 months of age. Your girlie is not off.

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
She’s sounds like she’s in the normal sphynxie girl range! My breeder anticipates that my male will be 8-9 lbs full grown. Maybe ask your breeder how big her parents were fully grown? Perhaps they are on the smaller end of the spectrum?

Please share pics too!!

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Our Diva, Cleopatra, is very large at 12 pounds, but Marcus barely weighs 8 pounds. An 8 month old kitten still has a lot of growing to do, so your baby sounds like she is on the right track. I also wouldn't worry about her not liking the dry food, but make sure that you are feeding her nutritionally balanced canned or homemade food. Boiled chicken is a great starting point, but it is not nutritionally complete if that is what she eats most. A lot of people feed raw diets, and there are guidelines on the 'Net if you want to make her food. Your vet may be able to help you too.
Also, check with your vet about feeding dry food at all. Our vet in Nevada calls dry food "kitty crack." She doesn't like it for cats because it is really high in calories and many cats, including my Cleopatra, will get to where they only want it. The low moisture content is bad for their kidneys and urinary tracts too.

Thank you all! This is such a relief. She still looks like a tiny kitty to me. Her mom was about 8lb but idk if tht was her pregnancy weight or her normal weight. Her dad is 11lb. Pictures attached below.sorry I know that thus is a lot of pics I just don't get to share pics of my baby very often :)
20180518_115416.jpg

Attachments

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Nicky00 , awhhh she is precious!
She looks good :)

Be sure that she eats kibble and or canned food - you want to make sure she gets all her essential vitamins and minerals Which boiled chicken alone will not have for her long term health.
Mine didn't like wellness core so I had to switch kibble .

My adult girl is very very petite , I swear she is like a permanent kitten .. She weighs about 8 lbs.
She is like my forever baby cat .

Head smooches to your girl! precious pics !

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thank you all! This is such a relief. She still looks like a tiny kitty to me. Her mom was about 8lb but idk if tht was her pregnancy weight or her normal weight. Her dad is 11lb. Pictures attached below.sorry I know that thus is a lot of pics I just don't get to share pics of my baby very often :) View attachment 85369
That is a sweet picture! I love seeing men with their cats. And she does look very petite there.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Agree with @Yoda mom - make sure she is getting a balanced diet (to help prevent future health problems). Our full grown girl is about 8.5 pounds. She is my little peanut, I much prefer a small cat to a larger one. Although, when she stands on my chest, I would swear she weighs 15 lbs.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MollysMom , I love my little Claire bare ! I am glad she doesn't weigh more especially when she uses my chest as a trampoline !

@Nicky00 , love her little heart sweater!
Look forward to more pics and tales!
We Looove pics!

@Yoda mom I started giving her canned food for variety. I thought it would deter her from being a little food thief. It did not work as you can see from the attached photo. I am standing upright for reference. she climbed up my leg, across my shoulder and down my arm to lick my food. I coax her into eating dry food by leaving it out for a day or two. I used to alternate days but she caught on and would hold out for wet food. I hope that her diet is balanced enough. It been a bit tough to get her to eat none dry food. As you can see, my dad spoils her so she goes and gets food from him.

Attachments

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Yoda mom I started giving her canned food for variety. I thought it would deter her from being a little food thief. It did not work as you can see from the attached photo. I am standing upright for reference. she climbed up my leg, across my shoulder and down my arm to lick my food. I coax her into eating dry food by leaving it out for a day or two. I used to alternate days but she caught on and would hold out for wet food. I hope that her diet is balanced enough. It been a bit tough to get her to eat none dry food. As you can see, my dad spoils her so she goes and gets food from him.
She looks completely healthy to me :) my boy is only 7 months and about 6lbs.
And for food we just free feed dry food and he gets two 'meals' a day of wet food.
If your vet insist concerned about her diet and her weight I would say stick to what works. We have never managed to get Orpheus to stop stealing food so if you figure it out let me know!! Haha

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You can get a powder to mix with her cooked chicken and make it a complete meal. We use the one from Know Better Pet Foods called U Stew (there are many other brands out there as well)

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Nicky00 She looks good to me. 6lbs is tiny but not too tiny. My girl Jade is 4 years old and weighs a little over 6lbs and she'a healthy.