Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Worried...

AnetteMR

Lairian
Hi.
As you know, over 2 weeks ago we brought home a new sphynx boy. He still has slight diarrhea (it's gotten better and it's from the food I guess.) but that's not what I'm worried about. Mireya hasn't eaten since yesterday, like over 24h ago. And she was always the one who loved food, no matter what I fed her. But now I've changed her food a few times over the time. She suddenly refused to eat her wet food, so I bought another one. She doesn't like that one either. I don't know what to feed her anymore. And I even ordered new kibble "Concept of life" from Germany for my kitties. I just got the package yesterday so I mixed a bit in their food. That's when Mireya last ate. And about an hour ago she threw up a little yellow transparent liquid with white foam on top of it. I googled that it could be caused by an empty stomach. So I don't even know if she doesn't eat because she doesn't like the food that I give her or is she so stressed? This just makes me feel so helpless. She seems so sad and Fenrir isn't making this any easier, constantly trying to attack her. I don't know if it's his way of playing or not. But when my boyfriend opened up the Dreamies bag, she ran like crazy and begged for treats. So I guess she still has her appetite. And when I tried to feed her pate from my fingers, she ate like 2 fingertips and that's it. Good is that she drinks water. I'm just so sad and worried, really don't know what to do now.

Last edited:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@AnetteMR
Ughhh I am sure your stress level is at an all time high. Most likely this is all related to Mireya being stressed about the changes in the house and changes in food. New babies upset the whole household and yes they can bring in new germs that can also cause this.

I don't recall, did you have the new baby's poop sample checked? Are you putting their bowls next to each other during feeding, or giving them space but ability to see one another?

Have you tried to incorporate play time together with a toy like Da Bird where they play and see on another? Not all transitions go easily and you might need to feed Mireya the old food for the time being.

patti

AnetteMR

Lairian
@Catzzzmeow No, I didn't get his poop sample checked, but I told the story to the vet and she told that it's most likely from the new food and that it'll take time and when it gets worse, then come for a checkup. It's gotten firmer but it still smells absolutely horrible. I have no clue what could make that kind of stink.
They have both been living in same rooms now for a while now, sleeping together, grooming and playing. They are getting along great. But today was when Fenrir jumped onto her etc. It seemed playful but I know my baby girl feels bad and that made me feel even worse.
The food bowls are not next to each other, but they can see each other.
I fed her Royal Canin Sphynx before Fenrir, no issues then. I just thought she would do better with a grain-free kibble. Guess I'll have no transition back to Royal, sigh. But I still have no clue about the wet food. She doesn't like the one I fed her, anymore. She likes her wet food for a few months and then refuses to eat it.
And yes, I've played with them together. But they like to play (chase each other like crazy) on their own more.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Does new baby poop smell as well? Is it runny? I personally would get a poop sample done. After 2 weeks of being together if there was a parasite issue, both would have. Giardia often tests false negative so many vets treat for it as the treatments do no harm. Sphynx cat with Diarrhea (Giardia)

Smelly poop can be a sign of Giardia but also an unsettled tummy trying to deal with the changes.

Patti

AnetteMR

Lairian
@Catzzzmeow Only the new baby's poop smells horribly. Mireya's is normal. Although at first with the food changes, Mireya's poop was normal with a micro-tiny bit of loose stool on it. But that's it.

AnetteMR

Lairian
Our girl still hasn't eaten a thing and runs away from me when I come towards her with food. I really don't know what to do, this makes me want to cry. I feel like I have to get her to the vet?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I would see a vet and bring the poop sample. Do you have Feliway diffusers to help calm your baby?

celsei

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'd see the vet too, she might have an upset tummy if she hasn't eaten for so long and going without food for long periods can cause health problems even if it was just caused by stress. Try watering down wet food and syringe feeding her if she still won't eat. If she likes tuna put some tuna water/bits of tuna on her food to entice her or sprinkle some cheese if she likes that. Also try putting the dreamies in her wet food she'll at least be forced to eat some of the food around it

celsei

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
If you think it's stress go back to keeping the cats separate and see if her symptoms get better, she might need more time to adjust

AnetteMR

Lairian
I'm writing from the vet's office right now. Couldn't bring anyone's poop sample, because they haven't pooped, sigh. But right now they are running Mireya's blood tests and in about 20 minutes they will tell the results. Wish us luck.
And I have to buy the old food (Royal) to see if she eats today, if not, I'll have to bring her in tomorrow.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Praying for your baby.
Royal Canin isn't a bad food.
Many breeders use it and I used it for two years. Until our pets mart stopped caring the flavor Izmae loved. Grain free isn't always best.
I'm not saying to feed cheap bad food. Some cats can't eat that much protein.

AnetteMR

Lairian
Sorry for not answering right away, I've geen really busy. But everything is OK, Mireya's bloodwork was excellent and the vet didn't see a reason to do any further research. She just told us that this could be caused by the new food, the new pet or both. So she recommended buying her her old food and see how she reacts. Well, let me tell you that she ate like a champ. And she still is. I'm so glad that this was such an easy fix. (I secretly think that she refused to eat her new food, because it was made for chubbier cats...)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@AnetteMR , so happy to read Mireya has great blood work results and is eating her previous RC food :)

Fwiw, my kitties actually do best on a grain inclusive food - great skin , cleaner ears good appetite and good poos -
Many of us feed what works and it may not be the new popular foods out there.
Mine also are dry food addicts - hate Raw or wet food. I got sick of trying a zillion different wet foods only to toss it In in the woods for the critters -

I feed what works as well as keep several water bowls, different types , at different locations away from food -

I change the water at least 2x a day - rather clean and refill 2x a day because they drink up :)
We have had no more incidents of urinary crystals feeding and watering this way for my dry food addicts.

I tried many grain free foods over the years with my crew-
to be honest , I am having better results with grain inclusive - if you read grain free labels you will see a lot of " pea splitting " etc

So for me it's like changing grains for a whole lot of different starches. who knows how it effects them long term.
Starches , peas , potatoes , higher proteins , higher ash content, higher calcium / phosphorus ratios (that can effect urinary health)
I go to their websites or call them for the nutrient numbers and ask for "dry matter %"
One gal said read the bag ! (This is not the dry matter % )

My vet had an interesting chat with me about how the corn in food is getting a bad rap and grain free ingredients and how people are jumping on the grain free wagon.
(I started thinking about all the commercials for hair care products and face creams :) a lot of marketing we go out and try and often go back to the tried and true products )

It a very individual decision of what to feed - nothing wrong with feeding what works as indicated by your vets suggestion to feed her original food -

Sounds like she is very happy with her food again!

My youngster sleeps with the older kitties gets along great but has pounce moments of play
Then go back to sleeping and grooming together -

I redirect him with Dabird or even a stern verbal correction Toby Love"
He runs like the wind and chills out
This link I still re read for good ideas

Introducing a new adult sphynx cat or sphynx kitten into the home

It's all a balance when we introduce new kitties - keep positive at their comfort level -
Don't feel sad -
Mireya and are rid sleepimg and grooming together is a great sign!
Just takes time to settle in and they learn their boundaries-
My girl screeches at the boys without even touching each other to tell him she wants to nap in " her " spot -

Hope to see pic amd tales of Mireya amd Fenrir :)

Keep us updated often

Back