Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Worst night in a long time

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Last night was the worst night of my life since Midnight was sick and we all know how that ended. Yesterday started off great. Meecho had been getting antsy since she wanted to go out so I took her and Suki to the farmers market in DC and then to the National Harbor to walk along the Potomac River. She had on her pink skull sweater and I brought a blanket as fall has hit here and I didn't want her to get a chill. We got home and all was fine and she was walking all around the house telling everyone about her day. She came up stairs around 2-2:30 to take a nap. Around 5pm I went to pet her while she slept in her bed next to me and she felt much hotter to the touch then normal. I touched her nose as I know that is a way to get a more accurate temp on an animal then their heads or bodies. It was cool and wet so I went about checking my email. About twenty minutes later I checked her again and she was even hotter then before and now her nose was dry and hot as well. I ran for a thermometer even though it hasn't been used in like 4 years. I put it in her butt but not to far and it gave me a reading of 105.9 and that's when I started to freak out. I tried to get her to drink water and she wouldn't so I tried giving her a snack of Bonito as she never turns that down, even when she was in the hospital full of anthesia she still gobbled up her bonito. That is when I knew for sure something was wrong. I took a cloth and doused it in cold water and began to wipe down her head and body and it quickly dried out and heated up the wash cloth. I watched her all night scared to go to sleep in fear that if I did she wouldn't wake up. All night I kept kicking myself that I didn't see the signs before like her not purring or meowing anymore when she came up stairs around 230. Also because I took her out and it was only like 76-78 degrees out. This morning I had someone watch her and I kept calling to get updates. I called her vet and found out they are closed on Monday's. I called an Emergency vet and they said that they could look at her, but unfortunately they don't know anything about her breed and if she is showing signs of improvement I should just wait for her regular doctor. So now I'm home and she is so much better. She is walking around, she has drank a half a bowl of water and has attacked me for her bonito again. I'm still gonna make an appointment in the morning to get her checked out as she still feels a little to warm to me but at least I can calm down again. I swear after this it is VERY apparent I have no business having children of my own. God I can see it already I'm gonna be that parent who's pedetrican has a restarining order against them. Well I better get back to her, I just can't stand to be away from her and actually thought about taking her to work with me this morning but I didn't want to take her out in the cold this morning. I think what I really need right now is lots of sleep and a new thermometer.

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Geez, Kallie, thank goodness that Meecho is okay! :Sweat: I would feel horrible if anything bad happened to her! After reading all these sad stories here about kitties passing away from FIP, I get scared when any of our babies here on Sphynx Lair show any signs of illness. :Woo: I'll keep my fingers crossed that Meecho will continue to recover from her bout with fever and will be back to her old feisty kitty self in no time!

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh I'm sorry to hear about this Kallie. I hope Meecho has recovered. I'm glad to hear she is feeling better. Try to get some rest for yourself!

Brooke

Banned
Wow, Kalliee! Scary day. Even when one of my guys sneezes I get a little worried for a second... Sounds like she's doing better, and you're doing everything right so don't beat yourself up so much. It's reassuring that the ER vet wasn't concerned, but still, I am surprised they turned her away - Meecho is still a cat (don't tell her I said that) and the ER should be able to treat her during an emergency, regardless of her breed.

PS - I dread the day I have to take a temp on one of my kitties. They freak out if I even wipe their butts!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I hope she feels better.
I took Cleo to a Er before when she had a fever and was sick.
They did not know sphynx either but still took her.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Get well soon Meecho! Poor girl! I to am shocked the er vet did not have you come in! But glad she seems better! Keep us posted!

Oh and just so you know I work for A pediatrician and there is way more crazy people out there, some want to come in for the nothing I think they are board I swear!

ellie4-12

Lairian
Callie.. You are a fantastic mother! I honestly don't think you could have done anything else at the time to help our your baby. Try to relax and remember that there's no sense to get worked up unless you really know why she got the fever. And if she is feeling better- that is great news and chances are she will stay that way until you bring her in.

Take some deep breaths and give yourself a pat on the back. You couldn't have been anymore caring and alert during the situation.. Meecho must love you very much:Smile:

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thank you so much for all your support guys. Everyone at work just kept rolling their eyes but I knew you guys would understand. We just got back from the vet's and even her doctor knew something was up with her. She just isn't causing any trouble:LOL: I know seems like a blessing in disguise but I don't want it to happen this way. Her temp is way down it was clocked at 103.4 and she has an upper respiratory infection or sinitus with a fever. She will be on cefadroxil twice a day for the next three weeks. Also got her some lysine powder for her food since she won't eat her treats anymore....darn cat is so picky and has decided she doesn't like them like she used to:LOL: Also got her on this cream to lick off her paw called Multi-Vite which will just help her immune system in addition to everything else. Her doctor gave me some great advise on if her temp rises again like putting alcohol on the pads of her feet, but make sure she doesn't get too cold after that as it will drop her temp pretty quickly. She is doing much better right now as I just heard her sneeze into the turtle cage which means they get some extra protein with their crickets:LOL: The greatest thing about the trip is that as I entered the store they had just put out some new shirts and I just had to buy one. It said "momma's lil diva" and she sure proved it this weekend. I tried to sleep last night but I still woke up every ten minutes to check on her, hopefully tonight I will finally be able to rest since I know she's been seen and given a clean bill of health...well as much as she can have one with her cold. I never thought I would ask this because I know I've wished on many a star that she would sleep at night, but what I wouldn't give for her to wake up and go crazy as soon as I go to bed:Laugh: I told the vet about the ER and when I think back on it I think I"m glad they were honest with me up front. I was a nervous wreck and if I got there and some newbie who had only seen a cat like Meecho from Austin Powers work on her I probably would've gone into cardiac arrest:Laugh: Plus they probably still have it on file when I called because Noble my boy dog had gotten his penis stuck on the outside:Hysterical: I had no idea what to do and all I remembered was an episode of the real world where the vet said to put sugar on it, so when that didn't work I called them in a fright saying my dogs penis was stuck and the sugar didn't work! They put me on hold for like ten minutes, probably trying to figure out if this was a prank call or not. When they came back on and I screamed that this was real they told me what to do. I still can't look at Noble in the same way after that...NO ONE should have to ever get THAT CLOSE TO YOUR DOG:LOL::Laugh:

Brooke

Banned
...NO ONE should have to ever get THAT CLOSE TO YOUR DOG:LOL::Laugh:

Tell me about it!!...when I worked as a vet assistant years ago, we were helping artificially inseminate a pair of English Bulldogs. Yours truly was given the wonderful task of collecting the sperm from the stud. I won't go into detail about how one collects sperm from a dog, but use your imagination. It took me years to live that one down. I've also had to milk a ****er spaniel. Oh, the stories... I'm sure the other members who have worked for vets have equally disturbing tales!

I'm glad Meecho is on the road to recovery, poor baby!

myspecialboy

Lairian
Tell me about it!!...when I worked as a vet assistant years ago, we were helping artificially inseminate a pair of English Bulldogs. Yours truly was given the wonderful task of collecting the sperm from the stud. I won't go into detail about how one collects sperm from a dog, but use your imagination. It took me years to live that one down. I've also had to milk a ****er spaniel. Oh, the stories... I'm sure the other members who have worked for vets have equally disturbing tales!

I am sooooo glad I take care of humans!!!!!

Maximus

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
kalliee im really glad everything is ok with Meecho...oh and by the way I think I just pissed myself lol

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I am getting woried Kalliee and Meecho have not been on in 2 days? Just not like her and if Meecho was not sick I would think nothing of it?:Sweat: I sure hope all is well!

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I honestly feel like the fates are testing me. Before anyone worries Meecho is doing GREAT. She's back to her nightly torments and morning crazies:LOL: On the sad note our family dog Noble who is a Peekapoo stopped eating on Wednesday. Took him to the vet on Thursday and he has a small squishy obstruction in his intestines. They think it's either one of Meecho's toys or a piece of chicken bone from his porridge. Unfortunatly the cost to operate is going to be over $8000 which we just don't have right now. We had just sent my mother to Korea for the next two months taking with her $7000 last tuesday and my dad just retired so finding the money is just not in the cards right now. Unless some miracle happens we will more then likely have to put Noble down so he isn't suffering anymore. In addition to the cost we also have to figure in his chances due to his age and other medical problems. He's a 13 year old dog that has arthritis and is going deaf. It's just so heartbreaking but I think the thing that makes it so much harder for me is that even though I love him to death and would do anything I could for him, I just don't feel like I'm feeling the right amount of sadness when it comes to this. I've been on such an emotional rollercoaster with Meecho and now that she is doing so well I don't think I have anything left in me to be as sad as I think I should be. It's like part of me wants to break down and cry but then I see Meecho and how well she is compared to just a day ago and I would rather dance around the house in happiness. I'm just so confused and drained right now. I just wish I could go to sleep and wake up seven days ago knowing what was going to happen so I could have taken the steps to prevent it in the beginning. Well my dad has taken Noble back to the vet to see if they think there is any improvement but there is a large chance he will come home without him too. If he does come home without him I will have to work towards helping Meecho and Suki cope because they know something is wrong and he's their best friend. It's always been the three muskateers with them. I'll keep you guys posted...I really just need this month to be over. And then the worst will come when my mom comes home and finds her dog gone and possibly from her chicken soup because she was in a hurry when she made it. From now on I'm buying boneless chicken, I don't care how much it costs, it will be worth it in the end.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
:Cry: So sorry Kalliee, Glad you and Meecho are doing well!
You can not beat your self up over this, the dog is older and has had A great life!
Sorry for the month being so crapy. And mom having to go to China, if it is her bone I would leave that part out to her and just tell her it was something else? I am hoping for A happy ending to this all for you!!! You keep you chin up and if you and Meecho want to dance around the house then go for it !

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
:Cry: So sorry Kalliee, Glad you and Meecho are doing well!
You can not beat your self up over this, the dog is older and has had A great life!
Sorry for the month being so crapy. And mom having to go to China, if it is her bone I would leave that part out to her and just tell her it was something else? I am hoping for A happy ending to this all for you!!! You keep you chin up and if you and Meecho want to dance around the house then go for it !

Right now I'm about to KILL Meecho and Suki:LOL: They are running around the house and jumping on my bed to bounce on my back and they have been doing this for an hour straight now.:Hysterical: Noble seems to be doing a tad better. He was walking around a lot more and even able to jump up and down the step to the family room. He came home with a whole goody bag of drugs so I'm sure he's feeling kinda high right now:Laugh: We're feeding him cat food and chicken broth through a bottle so he doesn't go hungry. Found out the obstruction is at the bottom of his large intestines so it can't even go through his small intestines to get out. But I am not giving up hope and until he gives us the sign we're not putting him down. I got really mad last night because everyone was talking about him dying and just giving up on him. I refuse to let him be around negative energy. I know when I was sick in the hospital I didn't get any better because of how negative the energy was, but as soon as I went home and refused to let anyone be down around me I got better so I have to believe that is what Noble needs. Holy crow I just turned around Noble has just come upstairs!!! That's fifteen very steep stairs....I'm so damn proud of him right now:BigSmile:

Back