Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

would this be big enough?!

dragynflye

Lairian
we travel periodically, and i would be bringing my sphynx with us, so i am looking for a good carrier. i came across these, and really like the way they look. i like the shape, good for curling up. i like the mesh "window" on top, so he could see all around. i like that is fastens securely into a car seat. i like that it doubles as a bed. i LOVE that you can get an optional heating pad for it, to keep kitty warm! we usually drive, but i'd like to have a carrier that can be used on the plane, on the off chance we end up flying. the MINI fits under the seats, but not the full sized version. is a mini big enough, though, for your average adult sphynx???

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That will be to small.
It is only for cats up to 7 pounds.
That will work for him now only because he is a kitten.
When is he older it will be to small.
I have a round one and love it but I only use it for short trips.
Look at sturdi they have one that will work for you.
I use them and they work great.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I bought this carrier for Sophie when she was a kitten and I was flying out to pick her up. It is small and does fit up to 7 pounds. (I needed something small since I was traveling alone and not checking bags.) I agree with M2M to get something a bit larger. While I was at the breeders, she put her 7 lb cat in there and he did fit but needed to be curled up. I do zip the top off and it still makes a comfy bed for Sophie. The warmer is nice but you can buy it separately and use it in anything (having the car charger for the warmer is definitely neat). My recommendation is to get something larger. Let me know if you have any questions about it though.

PitRottMommy

Banned
I agree with M2M and Heather, too small. One thing that needs to be considered for traveling is ease of ability to clean up quickly. Fabric, while it's nice to use for it's purpose--especially seeing out of the carrier, doesn't do ANYTHING for the pet in regards to safety and is very hard to clean.

Personally, my cats travel in a wire kennel like this:

61165yBikwL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

When in the car and in a smaller plastic kennel when traveling separately for blood donations or the like. It's easy to clean up, they can see fully around the kennel and there's no risk of them being stepped on, sat on, etc. In addition, we "line" the kennel many times over with single-sided absorbable blankets. So, if there's an accident, you can just remove the top blanket and the bottom ones are unsoiled and usable.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That cage is almost like the cage we just bought for the hotel when I show out of my area.

dragynflye

Lairian
thanks for the replies, y'all! it's not exactly a cheap carrier, so i definitely don't want to buy one just to have him outgrow it! i didn't even notice that it had the weight limit listed right there :Pudently:

pitrottmommy- i have many kennels like that, that i have acquired through rescuing over the years. i was looking for something more convenient and easier to carry, and that i can take in the cabin of an airplane.

PitRottMommy

Banned
pitrottmommy- i have many kennels like that, that i have acquired through rescuing over the years. i was looking for something more convenient and easier to carry, and that i can take in the cabin of an airplane.

You might try going backwards instead of forwards in this case: Look to the airlines for their recommended approved kennels and see if there are any you like. I know the last time that I traveled there was so much crap piled under the seats that there was NO way an adult cat would have been comfortable and, much less, unharmed by someone that wasn't careful. Again, my main concern is more for the cat's safety. Soft-sided carriers don't often offer that.

chpmunk

Lairian
Personally, after using so many carriers for my Chihuahua, fluffy cat, and now sphynx, I can highly recommend sleepypod carriers. They're a great brand. But that mini carrier will be too small.

Sleepypod makes an under-the-seat airplane carrier that is bigger and square. They can still curl up and relax in it just fine.

They're a little $$ but worth it, in my opinion.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You just replied to a very old post, you can check the date at the top left corner of every post so you know whether the question is still relevant :Wink2:

Personally, after using so many carriers for my Chihuahua, fluffy cat, and now sphynx, I can highly recommend sleepypod carriers. They're a great brand. But that mini carrier will be too small.

Sleepypod makes an under-the-seat airplane carrier that is bigger and square. They can still curl up and relax in it just fine.

They're a little $$ but worth it, in my opinion.

Here's a link to one: Pet Carriers | Wayfair

Good luck!

Back