Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Wow, um.. Now what?

Avasmommy

Lairian
Joined
Aug 28, 2010
Messages
163
Points
41
Hello all! As some of you know I am not owned by a sphynx as of yet. I am making payments on a baby to bring home early this coming summer.

A breeder that I contacted back in the late summer called me yesterday. A lady who purchased a sphynx from her needs to re-home him due to having a baby. So this breeder calls me and asks if I would be interested, says something about a 100 dollar re-homing fee. I say well yes of course. So here's how it stands as of now.

She found out that the re-homing fee would be 250. (I cant afford that)
She informed me that if I would drive the 7.5 hours to come get him, and give her 100 dollars, and then send the other 100 (To call it even) when I get paid, she would accept that.

Harry is Registered, healthy, 3 years old, neutered.

The lady wants him out of her house in a week. I would be going next Thurs to get him if I do.

Please give me thought on what y'all more experienced people think.

P.S. I put an attachment of a picture I got of Harry.
 

Attachments

Last edited:

gizmo6370

Banned
Joined
Apr 7, 2009
Messages
3,599
Points
0
If his parents are hcm scanned....i would say go for it...he looks very cute :Smile:
 

Avasmommy

Lairian
Joined
Aug 28, 2010
Messages
163
Points
41
This breeder doesn't scan her cats unless she feels the need to. That is why I chose not to go with her on getting a kitten. But I figure he's 3.. I wont say that he's in the clear, but at least hes not a kitten.
 

gizmo6370

Banned
Joined
Apr 7, 2009
Messages
3,599
Points
0
Ow...that's a whole different ball game....though decision....i wouldn't take him then...but that's me....
 

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Joined
May 14, 2010
Messages
1,985
Points
0
Here's the way I see it. If she wanted to find the best home possible she'd take the $100 you can afford and be happy with it. But instead it seems like she's trying to maximize the amount she gets for him. He appears healthy but he isn't scanned and who knows when he last saw a vet or got vaccinated (and I sure wouldn't trust a verbal reassurance about that, I'd want to see vet receipts).

I personally have a real repugnance of dealing with breeders who aren't proactive concerning health so my inclination would be to pass.
 

Avasmommy

Lairian
Joined
Aug 28, 2010
Messages
163
Points
41
Im going to ask for the vets number so I can contact him and ask about his vaccines, but from what I remember her telling me is that he is UTD. I will also ask about the HCM. The fee that I have to pay is from the Lady who currently owns him. Lotsa questions to ask before I write her back tomorrow.
 

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Joined
Oct 16, 2010
Messages
508
Points
0
I would also wait sadly.
It does not feel right to reward non existant responsibility for a dangerous illness in the breed with more profit AND it might cause you a lot of heartache as well in a few years ofc.

He does look precious though and I can't understand how people can just throw out their pet like that. Because of a baby. If she can't have both then why buy a sphynx if she knows she'll b having a baby within 15 years I wonder?
 

ranalashae

Banned
Joined
May 14, 2010
Messages
150
Points
0
This is almost exactly how I ended up with Nala. She went to a family and their little boy was allergic to her. One of the breeders I had been talking to called me, and I picked her up a couple days later. Although she is PERFECT in every way and I love her soooo much, had I known what I know now about HCM, I might have made a different decision. The breeder I got her from only scanned her "core" cats... whatever that means. And another breeder I have talked to has cats from her, and some have been positive for HCM. Scares the s*** out of me... :Sweat:

I have called a cardiologist, seeing as nala is now one and a half years old, and will be getting her scanned sooner than later.

My advice for you would be to wait. Although Nala is healthy now, it's a complete roll of the dice that I (as most I would assume) am certainly not going to be ready for, being 20 years old and all.
 

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Joined
May 14, 2010
Messages
1,985
Points
0
The fee that I have to pay is from the Lady who currently owns him. Lotsa questions to ask before I write her back tomorrow.
I wonder why the breeder doesn't want to insist upon taking him back and then placing him herself? Every reputable breeder I know has "must sell back to breeder if unable to keep" and "not allowed to sell the cat under any circumstances without written breeder permission" clauses in their sales contracts. I wonder why the breeder is just acting like a middle-man instead of taking direct responsibility for a cat she produced?

And to be honest, I have an even greater repugnance of rewarding owners who are just trying to get as much money as possible out of a kitty that they've decided is disposable. An owner that truly loved the kitty would take the $100 you can afford and be grateful that they found the best home possible, instead of trying to squeeze $200-$250 out him.

I would be of the mindset that "This is the home I offer, this is what I can afford to comfortably spend, take it or leave it."

Good luck making your decision. It isn't easy.
 

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 13, 2009
Messages
23,102
Points
643
I agree with Marlene. That being said here are my thoughts, get in touch with the cats vet, find out if there are any immediate concerns like FVR or other health issues, history of heart murmurs in those three years, if negative, then hop in the car and go get your kitty!
Good luck with your decision!
 

xxx_phoenix_xxx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Joined
Jul 10, 2010
Messages
484
Points
123
He is a very cute Kitty and this makes it even more of a hard decision. i would find it so so so hard to say no but if you feel something isn't right no would be the best decision but if you feel He is a healthy bundle of baldness i would go for it :ThumbsUp:
good luck in making your decision and keep us all posted xxx
 

sfinky

Lairian
Joined
Nov 26, 2010
Messages
20
Points
14
hi,

id just like to add that if he is healthy i would also go for it.

that cat proberly cost a lot more than 250 so with regards to making a profit i dont think thats possible as the owner is obviously making a loss.

some people put a price on their cat to ensure its going to a good home after all any riff raff could take a free cat home but if someone cant afford the 250 dollars which is (162 pound to me) then there is a risk that you cant afford to maintain the care vets etc that cat will need.

i have never seen a sphynx kitten or cat for sale that cheap, this woman could ask for alot more money than 250.

i also dont understand whyshes getting rid of it for a child, i have 3 childern ages 4,5,7 and my kitten loves playing with them and is sleeping under my sons duvet with him right now. fair enough a newborn cant play with him but i still dont see why its a reason to get rid of him .

is say contact his vet and see if he has any health issues if not go for it! he looks lovely!

also if the breeder scans the cats before you have them it only means it doesnt have the disease at that time but could develop it at any time after. or they could be asymptomatic.
correct me if im wrong. i agree with precautions for this horrible disease obviously and the cats should be scaned but im just saying.

let us know how you get on!!
 

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Joined
May 13, 2010
Messages
3,509
Points
323
I see the yellow caution flags have gone up by others already and they have given you a lot of good advice and things to think about.

I hope whatever you decide to do works out in your favor. Good luck and please keep us posted.
 

ktate88

Banned
Joined
Aug 25, 2010
Messages
695
Points
0
This would be my thought process if I was in your shoes
1) Are you ready for a cat now in your life and financially? You can easily spend $100 getting supplies-- litter, litter box, food, food bowls, sweaters(if in cold climate), toys, etc.
2)Are you ready for the monthly expenses? (I'd estimate $30+ in food and litter)
3) Ask to see papers on the last vaccines, last vet visit, any diagnostics
4) Do you really want a kitten, or would you be happy with an adult cat?

I would lean to no, but that is just my personal choice based on what I have read. Another thing to discuss is the rehoming fee. I agree it sounds like they are trying to make money not necessarily find the best home for the cat.

BTW, he is very very cute
 

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Joined
Jan 16, 2010
Messages
5,191
Points
0
I also agree with Marlene. If for whatever reason I can not keep my Sphynx they are to return to the breeder. She does not pay me to take her cats back! I do not get to collect money on rehoming them through her!
Its the breeders discresion on what their rehoming fee would be and this just seems weird with the breeder being middle man and all. I would also request that full vet records be relinquished to me, meaning a folder with all vet activity enclosed so I can give it to my vet so they know "everything".
$250 is a good price regardless but be very careful. You could pay for it the long run..what if he really is sick and brings it to your home and your unable to resolve it before your original baby comes home. Lots to think about! Also, 7 hr drive equals approx 420 miles x $3.15 per gallon,,,I don't know,,,that could end up being alot depending upon your car. Goodluck
 

Ripley

Lairian
Joined
Nov 29, 2010
Messages
120
Points
41
just my two cents...you have enough advice about this adorable kitty...just an explanation why a pregnancy would cause someone to give up a cat...coming into contact with cat feces i.e. the litterbox is dangerous for a pregnant woman and a small child so she is probably thinking ahead to when this child will be crawling around on the floor. Most docs will advise to get rid of the litterbox when you become pregnant as a precaution. Not all do, of course, but that could very well be her reason for the rehoming decision.
 

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Joined
Jan 16, 2010
Messages
5,191
Points
0
just my two cents...you have enough advice about this adorable kitty...just an explanation why a pregnancy would cause someone to give up a cat...coming into contact with cat feces i.e. the litterbox is dangerous for a pregnant woman and a small child so she is probably thinking ahead to when this child will be crawling around on the floor. Most docs will advise to get rid of the litterbox when you become pregnant as a precaution. Not all do, of course, but that could very well be her reason for the rehoming decision.
Watching your child or getting hooded litter boxes prevents your child from nawing on turd nuggets. I have had 3 kids, had cats all my life and litter boxes, changed them myself, I personally feel its a poor excuse to rehome an animal. All of my kids turned out normal and above academic average, it did them no harm and they are animal lovers and know how to act with them and around them.
 

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Joined
Sep 15, 2009
Messages
495
Points
123
just my two cents...you have enough advice about this adorable kitty...just an explanation why a pregnancy would cause someone to give up a cat...coming into contact with cat feces i.e. the litterbox is dangerous for a pregnant woman and a small child so she is probably thinking ahead to when this child will be crawling around on the floor. Most docs will advise to get rid of the litterbox when you become pregnant as a precaution. Not all do, of course, but that could very well be her reason for the rehoming decision.
the risk of Toxoplasmosis is slim, (and she could get it from Eating raw or undercooked meat (lamb, pork, and beef)) with just a little care there is almost none. I wonder if her baby is inconvenient if she will give it away too.
 

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Joined
Sep 16, 2010
Messages
1,673
Points
0
I agree with alot of what's been said. Something just doesn't seem right about this- can't quite put my finger on it though. I wonder if something is wrong with kitty and that's why this lady is giving him back to the breeder not just because she's having a baby. This would be a good reason for the breeder to pass him along quickly so she doesn't have to take him back to her cattery. Like ckutkuhn7 said, most breeders require you by contract to return the cat to them so it can be placed properly- not rushed from 1 house to another. I understand it's hard to pass up such a beautiful sphynx, but I would hate for you to finally get your baby and he has so many problems you didn't expect. We are here for you whatever you decide though- please keep us posted...
 

Gizzymom

Banned
Joined
Oct 7, 2010
Messages
1,740
Points
0
OK... I am going to throw my two cents in...

1- I believe the pregnancy story.. 3 years ago, this woman may not have been planning for a child, so a cat seemed like a good idea. As to why she is getting rid of it... I know this is hard to believe...(LOL) But not everyone cherishes their pets like we do. I have had 2 friends get rid of pets when babies come into the picture. One was because she didn't want her baby crawling on the floor with dog hair... and the other was afraid her cat would be able to get into the babies crib... and that was unsanitary... Whatever! But people do this often.

2- I would INSIST on calling her vet. See if the vet is willing to fax / email you the vet records with her (the owner's) release. I know a lot of people don't keep accurate records of vet visits... so I wouldn't rely on her.

3- $200 ($100 now, $100 later) is CHEAP for a 3 year old healthy sphynx.. I say of all the rest checks out and you can afford the "start up" costs.... GO FOR IT!!

Just my opinion...:Laugh:
 

TotenEngel

Banned
Joined
Oct 18, 2010
Messages
846
Points
0
I can understand peoples concerns, but personally I would love nothing more than giving a good home to an older cat thats not had a lot of luck in life!
(I'm a sucker for a sob story, what can I say??)
I'd also be very concerned about what would happen to this beautiful baby if I didnt take him.
But, as someone else said it also depends if you are in the market for an adult cat or if you specifically wanted a kitten!

Don't envy you a choice, I'd probably end up with both!!
 

bellasmom

Banned
Joined
Dec 18, 2010
Messages
468
Points
0
Like everyone said your taking a chance... Be proactive and get the vet records and even ask the owner if the vet said anything about a heart murmer then I would say no. The heart ache that comes with HCM that is not worth $200...
 

Avasmommy

Lairian
Joined
Aug 28, 2010
Messages
163
Points
41
Thank you all for your wonderful replies!
The current owner of Harry has been trying for 8 years to get pregnant, has had several miscarriages. She is now pregnant through IVF. I guess she doesn't want to risk this pregnancy with all of the misconceptions of owning a cat while pregnant.

I can afford Harry, the start up cost. E.g. food, vet, ect. I already have EVERYthing except for food and litter. (In preparation for my new kitten in the summer) Toys, cat tree, cat condos, litter boxes, bowls.

If this guys is as healthy and litter trained as they say he is, I honestly think that an adult cat would be amazing right now, so my husband can adjust to having a cat in the house before we actually get a kitten. (Hes not an animal person)

I know there were several questions that I cant remember, so I cant answer them.

Again, thank you all! I will be sure to get ahold of the vet today if I can.
 

AthenaSphynx

Lairian
Joined
Dec 21, 2010
Messages
30
Points
24
I have given homes to cats without knowing their HCM status. Even though I just had a cat die of a liver problem I do not regret ever getting her, and even with the heartache I am glad that I helped make the end of her life more comfortable, and I was very blessed to have her in my home.

It may be a good thing to call the vet though and find out. I do not want this to come off the wrong way by any means, but if you are having a hard time coming up with the money to buy a sphynx, then if a health problem did occur, finances may dictate that you are unable to afford the vet care needed to get the cat well. Pet health insurance may be a good investment.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.
 
Top