Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Yay Litter Robot

Jocy24

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I took the plunge and put down the not inconsiderable price for the Litter Robot. It works great. I timed it so I got Harry and the Robot at the same time and I've had no problems at all. I put him in the robot so he would know what it was. Once he felt the litter he decided to dig to China so the covered box kept all the litter inside. When he finished his business I plugged the Bot in so it would start it's automatic cleaning cycle. (Until Harry is over 5 pounds I'll keep it unplugged because the automatic sensor doesn't detect under that weight) Poop went into the lined waste tray and that was it. The tray also has a carbon filter for added odor control. I also put baking soda in the bag to increase the odor control but I'm also very sensitive to scent. At the end of the week I'll take out the bag and never have to touch the poop.

Some mentioned it being noisy but I hardly notice. I live in a small apartment and can easily ignore it. Compared to Harry's "talking" it's nothing! Also, I don't know how Harry compares to other cats, but I've noticed very little litter scatter when he jumps out of the box.

Jocy24

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
77777777777777777777777777777777777777777777770""""""

So far so good. He's going through his crazy kitten phase right now. Jumping and climbing on everything. He'll suddenly make mad dashes around my apartment and then sleep for hours hidden under my bed spread. He loves to just walk around and "talk".

PS: I'm leaving the crazy characters at the top. That's from Harry warming his butt on my keyboard. Of course only when I'm using it though.:Dizzy:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sphynx love to sleep on the keyboards.
Cleo used to sleep on my laptop and i do not allow her to anymore because she is to big and will damage my keys.

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
OMG I wish Kreach was good with the litter!..everytime he goes in there it's like the friggin litter box exploded everywhere...all over the wall and floor! I have to sweep up every time he goes! Consider yourself lucky!

silly4lilly

Lairian
OMG I wish Kreach was good with the litter!..everytime he goes in there it's like the friggin litter box exploded everywhere...all over the wall and floor! I have to sweep up every time he goes! Consider yourself lucky!

same with my cats. it drives me insane. i am always on "litter patrol". we joke around its like chinese torture stepping on the litter all over the house. its even in our bed!!!:Dizzy: we have the cat genie and when the cycle is finished, it blows hot hair to dry the litter. as soon as my female hears the the cycle is complete, she goes in the litter box and actually lays down in it! ouch! and of course her skin is so clammy the litter sticks on her!!!!! :Hysterical:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
We have 3 litter boxes at the moment and 2 are in the baby room thank god there is hardwood floors in there because between A thena and the 2 babies everytime I go in there is litter every place I think when no one is around they pick it up and throw it at each other:Surprise: The other box is in the sun room, that had A light carpet in it but next is tile because the cats love to lay in the sun in that room and the rug is now spotted with sphynx body prints! Also the litter is A pain to get out of the rug:Angry: Of course that is the rugs fault not the cats!

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I bought the cordless shark vacumn and keep it next to the litter box. She doesn't kick it out but it sprays when she leaves. Meecho is so used to me cleaning up right after she uses the box that she's not even afraid of the vacumn anymore. I actually have to push her away from it because she just stares at it while I'm trying to clean up.

I'm glad to hear the litter robot is good. When I break down and buy a self cleaning box that is the one I want to get. I would love to get the one that hooks up to the toilet but there isn't enough room for it.

Brooke

Banned
I thought I could handle scooping the litter of four cats. I was really good about it at first, and then I started to despise it. Scooping litter quickly replaced laundry as my most dreaded chore. The final straw was last week when the garbage men wouldn't take my trash because the can was too heavy with cat poop and litter. So, I huffed and puffed and dragged the ridiculously heavy trash can back to my garage and immediately sat down to the computer to find a solution.

I had the ScoopFree Automatic box before and loved it, but I would have to change the tray every day with these 4 poopers, and at $15 each, that's a budget buster. I needed something that could use any kind of litter, and handle 4 cats, and that wouldn't break. Litter-Robot has a hefty price tag, but it got consistently good reviews and comes with a great warranty, so I took the plunge...

It came yesterday (the highlight of my day!) and the cats watched me set it up, which took all of 5 minutes. I sprung for the "Bubble" version which has a clear plastic window. It's supposed to be for larger cats, but I figured it would also let more light in...because who wants to poop in the dark? The instructions say to let the robot sit for a few days to let the cats get used to it before you use it. They give tons of advice on how to get your cat to use the robot...but I didn't need any of it. Luckily, sphynxes are naturally curious and not fearful and no one had any trouble figuring it out! They saw litter and knew they had to poop in it. Within 5 minutes of it being set up, Mandy christened the box...then Nelson...then Walter...finally little Helen. I was so proud!

I LOVE the Litter-Robot!!! I've been liberated from the scoop!! Free at last!!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Ok say how much is this litter robot??? I am sick of scooping poop myself:ThumbsDown: I can be doing 100 other things with my poop scooping time! plus It would be great when we are away then our friend won't have to scoop!

ellie4-12

Lairian
Sounds a lot like my ex-BF :Wink:

HAHAHAHAHA

You guys are so funny. i loved reading about scoop free liberations.

Edit:// I just checked out the litter robot! WOW! how awesome! I can see why that would be great for anyone who has at least 2 cats.. That cleaner is definitely going to be on my wish list for when I finally have a healthy sphynx.

I hope that day happens soon. i have an ear infection from crying myself to sleep on Bens chest too many days in a row :(

English Dave

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've got a littermaid at the moment but the robot looks awesome in comparison!

I'm moving back to the UK early next year (hope Ra likes flying!) and I think I'll see if the robot is available in the UK once I'm there as it looks a ton better than the littermaid and doesn't have those stupidly expensive plastic boxes that need changing all the time.

playswithfire

Lairian
I use the littermaid also and the ramp to "clean the litter off their feet" is just for show, or scratching on, according to Kawaii. She prefers to go in from the side and jump as far as she can at full speed out the front of it when she's done lol. If you don't mind using clumping litter and vacuuming every other day, it is kinda nice but I'm thinking of switching to the good ol fashioned box (with different litter) just to keep the litter off my bed. I also suspect the dust from the clumping litter is contributing to her occasional sneezing (which the vet cannot seem to find the cause for:Surprise:).
Yeah in short, I don't recommend it, unless you have trouble keeping up with you cat's "excrementeleration". Oh and I hold the copyright on that word, it's definition is: the speed of poo. :Hysterical::Dizzy:

Brooke

Banned
Ok say how much is this litter robot??? I am sick of scooping poop myself:ThumbsDown: I can be doing 100 other things with my poop scooping time! plus It would be great when we are away then our friend won't have to scoop!

Are you sitting down? It was $330. :Woo: But it came with free shipping! lol. Best $330 I ever spent. My heart goes pitter-pat every time I hear it spin! That's the sweet sound of me not getting poop on my hands.:LOL:

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Are you sitting down? It was $330. :Woo: But it came with free shipping! lol. Best $330 I ever spent. My heart goes pitter-pat every time I hear it spin! That's the sweet sound of me not getting poop on my hands.:LOL:

Wow Brooke you sound as excited as I was when I found the litter locker. I think I know what I'm demanding Santa bring me this year :LOL::BigSmile:

Brooke

Banned
Wow Brooke you sound as excited as I was when I found the litter locker. I think I know what I'm demanding Santa bring me this year :LOL::BigSmile:

I am so excited. Wow, I need a hobby or something, right? But, the cats love it as much as I do. I still have the other 3 boxes in other places in the house and they are all using only the litter-robot now. I think they like that it's always clean. :ThumbsUp:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member

Holly Shi*t $330 ok well you use it for 2 weeks and let me know how it works!

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

I want one of the Genie ones, but they are about $300 plus you have to keep buying a specific solution (though eBay now has a cheat thing where you can refill the cartridges with any solution:ThumbsUp:)

Very tempting.

CoolSphynx

Lairian
Oh man, I envy you folks with Litter Robots. My furred ones balk at covered boxes and one needs a lot of space (6 pounder who for some reason needs a whole underbed storage box (the size of two large litterboxes together). Dobby is a bit arthritic, so I think we're in a small group that it wouldn't work for. I still lust after it-- one day, if I ever have mostly sphynx, I'm definitely getting this!

So glad it's working for you Brooke! For now, I'm just grateful to PittRottMommy for getting me hooked on raw so I too could appreciate the less smelly goodness that is "raw poop" LOL

Brooke

Banned

Yeah, a hefty price tag, I know. BUT, here's how I justified it (because you can justify anything if you want it badly enough, right?!) I paid $100 for the ScoopFree when I had just 1 cat. So, with 4 cats, I really only paid $82.50 per cat for it! What a deal! :LOL:

I want one of the Genie ones, but they are about $300 plus you have to keep buying a specific solution (though eBay now has a cheat thing where you can refill the cartridges with any solution:ThumbsUp:)

Yeah, I've had my eye on the Genie for a long time, but my bathroom is too small and it has to be hooked up directly to the toilet drain in the bathroom. :Angry: Maybe in my next house...

Brooke

Banned
So glad it's working for you Brooke! For now, I'm just grateful to PittRottMommy for getting me hooked on raw so I too could appreciate the less smelly goodness that is "raw poop" LOL

Heck yeah! i've got the raw poop/litter-robot combo platter going at my house! I'm well on my way to never smelling, seeing or touching poop ever again! Life is good. That is, until one of these guys decides to puke on the rug...

tessblack

Banned
Hi Brooke

I was wondering how well it keeps the smell down? I have the boxes in the launry room and worried that it will still smell bad. Is there any odor at all after it does it's cycle?

I am tempted to buy one but had a friend who had some electronic problems with hers and ended up not using it.

Thanks,
tess

Brooke

Banned
Hi Brooke

I was wondering how well it keeps the smell down? I have the boxes in the launry room and worried that it will still smell bad. Is there any odor at all after it does it's cycle?

I am tempted to buy one but had a friend who had some electronic problems with hers and ended up not using it.

Thanks,
tess

Hi Tess,

Nope, no odor at all! The only time it hits me is when I pull out the drawer to change out the bag and put in a new one (every 4 days with 4 cats!!) even then, there is a charcoal filter in there, so it isn't really that bad. I'll try sprinkling some litter odor eliminator in it, and I bet it won't stink even then!

You can find them cheaper on Amazon or ebay, but I opted to buy mine directly from the company just in case - it does come with a 90 day money-back guarantee and an 18 month warranty if you buy it direct.

Back