Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

bigbcamaro79

Lairian
nyx1 (2).jpg Hello,
New member here. Thought id ask if anyone has had this similar issue. Our girl Nyx has had a pretty serious issue with her skin for about a year now. Started out as darker pigment then developed bumps and flaky scabs where the discoloration is. She also gets very oily and leaves brown stains if she lays for a long time. Vet tried shampoo, didn't work. She then gave her a does of steroids and antibiotics. Success! Discoloration was there but no bumps. In 3 weeks they came back. It got so bad it made her lymphnodes swell. Took her back in and they did a skin biopsy and it came back as a skin infection of "some sort" said it could be allergic reaction related. So they gave her another round of shots. Success again! Switched food and litter just incase. We were using worlds best and switched just today to scwheat scoop to see if it helps. Just did that today. It seems the red bumps are coming back again the past couple days. Does anyone have any ideas or tips? Sorry for the wall of text.

nyx1 (2).jpg nyx2 (2).jpg nyx4 (2).jpg

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
There is something called uticaria pigmentosa... search it on the lair here and other threads of kitties that have it will pop up. Google offers some brief explanations. It is rare, but affects devon and sphynx cats. It may fit, as steroids are the treatment for flareups. Ask your vet - they may have never heard of it before! Hope you find some answers for your beautiful baby.

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I agree with @MollysMom, search uticaria pigmentosa. We have a few members here with some experience with it. Google search also. Sorry that Nyx is going thru this and I hope she finds relief! Welcome to the Lair btw! Keep us posted.

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Toothy's look similar, but treatment didn't help so I don't think his is uticaria pigmentosa. You can try giving 5 mg of Zyrtec (or generic, but not benadryl) for a few days and see if that helps. Even if it's not that the Zyrtec won't hurt her and if it does work it may be cheaper than constant shots.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to The Lair. Looks like members have already started to give you good information. I hope you can find an answer to what is causing this. If the condition seems at all similar to the one mentioned called urticaria pigmentosa it is worth running it by your vet.

Patti

Trinity Taylor

Lairian
I would recommend that you see a veterinary dermatologist. Even though the steriods have helped short term in the past its not good for them to be on steriods a lot. Can definitely lead to other serious problems. I would bring the info you have learned here as possible causes. A dermatologist should be able to get to the bottom of this. Good luck

Yoda mom

Staff member
Welcome to you and Nyx! You got great suggestions- please post more pics of your sweetie! W luv pics!

badend925

Lairian
I have a 3 year old female that has what looks like the same thing. We've changed diet, litter, and used special shampoos with no luck. The vet we use is a cat only very and i think they are stumped. Please keep me posted as to what your learn. Thank you.

Dallassummer

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Could it be mange? Mange is a parasitical mite skin infection that causes flaky dry skin. There are two types:
Demodectic mange
caused by a sensitivity to and overpopulation of Demodex canis

Sarcoptic mange
is a highly contagious infestation of Sarcoptes scabiei canis, a burrowing mite

badend925

Lairian
Dallassummer i have no idea. If the one is contagious I'd say no because we have another cat and two dogs that have no problems. It doesn't seem to bother her. She doesn't scratch or even seem to itch.

Boo

Lairian
Hey :) I've had experience with UP and found that vets were little long term help. It is a case of trying different things. I found that, although it was hard not to, but bathing less frequently and using sensitive wipes helped, and also organic coconut oil from a Heath shop. Eventually, Winston's skin started to adapt and self moisturise. The 'fake bake' look was a problem for a while but it calmed down and we ended up with just occasional flair ups, which is when we went to the vet for short term treatment. I tried the coconut oil after consulting with a vetinary dermatologist. Hope this helps :)

Back