Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Yeast/Fungal or Pigment?

Bailey21

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hello wonderful lairians!! I’ve noticed the past couple of days when I pick up Raven that she has some little brown spots on her tummy. I figured it was just usual sphynx grime, which led to bath night last night. The spots unfortunately didn’t come off with any amount of exfoliation gloves. Now I’m wondering if it’s something yeasty that I would need medicated shampoo for? I’ll attach pics incase anybody has seen something similar. Now time to scroll through other threats to get an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meandmytwo

Lairian
Both of my boys have similar markings here and there. It doesn’t come off when I try but it seems to come and go on it’s own - for awhile I see it in one area but then it fades or goes away and then I see similar looking stuff in another area. I’ve often thought it’s yeast or similar but my vet says it isn’t. They say it’s the regular Sphynx oils. I’m not convinced and wonder about treating it with medicated shampoo just in case.

I started a tread about that just last week.
Trying Malaseb “just in case”?
@NinaGato added some good advice.

I might try apple cider vinegar. There was some info here about that too but can’t find it just now. They don’t seem bothered by it but they sure do groom a lot, themselves and each other. I don’t know if that’d be considered over grooming or normal. I hear when they “over groom” they are bothered by something.

Last edited:

Bailey21

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Xandria I laughed out loud, a lot. I see the little heart below her belly button, but I don’t see the bear.

@Toa and Ross where is this bear!

@meandmytwo Hmm I’m curious because I don’t remember them being there before. I’m almost positive because I used to check her spay scar (there’s like a line of brown along it now) and it wasn’t brown before. It actually looked worse today, more red since it was creased from how she was sitting. I’ve put some coconut oil on to see if it loosens anything up.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Bailey21 Molly had this on her "arms" and tummy...(she is dark also) I used the good old Vetericyn spray twice a day and it cleared up way better than the medicated shampoo. Spray in on a cotton pad and wipe it down really good. It was gone within a week. Vetericyn is really safe to use and a good thing to keep on hand, available on Amazon :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bailey21

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@MollysMom thank you for the suggestion! I put some Vetericyn on a cotton swab and rubbed it on her tummy earlier. I think the coconut oil might have irritated it as it’s sort of red now in the area I put the coconut oil. It seems more dry as well. Hopefully the spray will do the trick and I don’t irritate it worse!

Attachments

Bailey21

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Just want to share an update. I’ve applied vetericyn maybe 3-4 times since my last post. I feel like since I noticed I I’ve just made it a lot worse I may try just leaving it alone and seeing what happens, as it was barley noticeable until I put the coconut oil/ointment on.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Oh sorry to hear the coconut oil and vetericyn spray didn't work. It looks dry, may it'll come off soon?

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Bailey21
I wonder if it is something like a nevus? It would explain why it is growing larger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bailey21

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Sheldon13 I'm not so sure if that's what it could be. It didn't start spreading like it did until I started putting on coconut oil and vetericyn spray. The coconut oil actually really dried out the area. I honestly have no idea! I may have to call the vet, or email my photos and see what he thinks it could be.