Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

SphynxHenry

Lairian
Can anyone help with suggestions?? My 1 year old male sphynx has been having some serious issues with yeast. Last month he suddenly got bad yeast on his face , neck, chest, front arms, and paws. We took him to the vet and he was placed on antibiotics, and recommended for us to soak him in verbac antiseptic wash for 10 minutes and then rinse until the yeast subsided. With the wash and antibiotics he improved to 100%. Now 1 month later, he's suddenly getting really bad yeast in those same areas again. I'm using that antiseptic but everyday the yeast is back. I don't want to over wash him but I don't know what to do. He can't keep being put on antibiotics. We thought he might have allergies so he's on hypoallergenic royal canin prescrip food. I thought maybe it was the litter so changed litter to a mostly dust free and unscented type. Has anybody had this happen with their baby? If so was it ever resolved and how? We normally don't bathe him much but have had to recently with this yeast. Any suggestions I'd appreciate. Not sure what else it could be.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I haven't had it with my cats... but I just did some quick reading on it. Did the vet do a scraping that confirmed it was yeast, and not something else? It seems unusual that yeast would be on exposed "dry" areas such as the face and legs. Everything that I read says it would be in warm and damp folds - like armpits, etc.

SphynxHenry

Lairian
The first time he had the outbreak they did a scraping and confirmed it was bacteria and yeast. We haven't brought him back in yet again. However it does look like it did the first outbreak. Was hoping I could figure it out without taking him back to the vet.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Totally stumped on that then... I would phone the vet's office and tell them you think it is coming back again. Maybe the antibiotics weren't long enough of a prescription to completely get rid of it? See what they can suggest over the phone.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Silly question... but did you thoroughly disinfect all of his bedding, beds, clothing, harness, favorite places to curl up? Just wondering if maybe there was a way that caused it to come back (if the bacteria was on there and got back onto his skin)

SphynxHenry

Lairian
I disinfected most everything but one of his favorite spots is his tower and I can't really clean the carpet on that very well. I am gonna call the vet and see but I'm sure they'll say just bring him back in to do another skin scraping. Which I feel is inevitable but would like to nip it in the butt for his sake. Have you had any problems with litter bothering yours skin?

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I haven't... but it might be worth a shot to try the newspaper or pine pellets for a while to see if it cures it. If you have access to a steamer, that should kill anything on the cat tower carpet. I know they recommend the newspaper pellet litter for post surgery on cats. It is relatively cheap too.

SphynxHenry

Lairian
When you say you don't bathe him much, you do know that the excess body oil can lead to skin problems right?
T
I haven't... but it might be worth a shot to try the newspaper or pine pellets for a while to see if it cures it. If you have access to a steamer, that should kill anything on the cat tower carpet. I know they recommend the newspaper pellet litter for post surgery on cats. It is relatively cheap too.
thank you for the suggestions

SphynxHenry

Lairian
When you say you don't bathe him much, you do know that the excess body oil can lead to skin problems right?
I mean I would only bathe him once every 2 weeks and had no issues. Maybe wipe him down with water but not use any cleanser. However, after he got the breakout the vet suggested I wash him once a week with the anti yeast wash and leave a topical lotion in his paws to prevent the buildup.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I mean I would only bathe him once every 2 weeks and had no issues. Maybe wipe him down with water but not use any cleanser. However, after he got the breakout the vet suggested I wash him once a week with the anti yeast wash and leave a topical lotion in his paws to prevent the buildup.
Gotcha, this sounds reasonable.

I just had another idea, if you think he might be rubbing against something bad, maybe you can put a little shirt on him.

SphynxHenry

Lairian

I just had another idea, if you think he might be rubbing against something bad, maybe you can put a little shirt on him.

i thought about that, but the only thing that I can't figure out is he's getting all that black "dirt looking" stuff, either yeast or bacteria, in the inside of his paws, all between the pads n stuff. He literally gets it overnight. He hasn't gotten any of it on his back though or sides, just the front chest, front arms, face, and paws.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
i thought about that, but the only thing that I can't figure out is he's getting all that black "dirt looking" stuff, either yeast or bacteria, in the inside of his paws, all between the pads n stuff. He literally gets it overnight. He hasn't gotten any of it on his back though or sides, just the front chest, front arms, face, and paws.
Please share a photo it helps, sphynx do get sebum build up which is not yeast, see here - my sphynx is dirty! I have even heard of vets diagnosing ear mites with just a simple ear wax build up. The sphynx is a bit different with skin amongst other small differences. Also, did a search on the Lair for "yeast" issues, hope this helps. I have noticed people referencing a "smell" if its a yeast infection. Does it smell?

http://sphynxlair.com/community/threads/yeast-and-bacterial-infection.27458/

http://sphynxlair.com/community/threads/yeast-infection-pics.9518/

SphynxHenry

Lairian
image.jpg
image.jpg

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
http://vetbook.org/wiki/cat/index.php/Malassezia_spp

I tried searching some past threads as well for you, but none seem to really have a full answer or the members didn't seem to update their threads. Above is a link to some information I saw on the web that gives possible underlying reasons for yeast infections.

Perhaps another trip to the vet to see what is really the underlying issue or a new med to hopefully really kick it for good. Please update us...you can help other owners in the future by tracking the progress and what your vet recommends. BTW your baby is beautiful even with those spots :)

Patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
@SphynxHenry - he is handsome- sending healing thoughts you find out what it is and how to heal him all better:)

Have you changed food, soap, detergent, litter? Does he sleep on a heating pad or in front of a space Heater? I am just trying to think outside the box, stumped too -
Perhaps another trip to the vet and ask if vetericyn spray on a cotton ball or pad would be okay to use?

Please keep us posted - (( healing hugs))

SphynxHenry

Lairian
image.jpg

This is his chest normally so u can see why I'm so upset you all have had such good ideas thank you. I just changed his litter thinking that might be a problem, he's already on prescrib food, haven't changed our detergent yet. He doesn't sleep on anything in particular but he does go on his carpet tower. Maybe I could try cleaning that. I've really been racking my brain as to why this keeps happening. Thanks for the support. We might have to make another vet trip

SphynxHenry

Lairian
http://vetbook.org/wiki/cat/index.php/Malassezia_spp

I tried searching some past threads as well for you, but none seem to really have a full answer or the members didn't seem to update their threads. Above is a link to some information I saw on the web that gives possible underlying reasons for yeast infections.

Perhaps another trip to the vet to see what is really the underlying issue or a new med to hopefully really kick it for good. Please update us...you can help other owners in the future by tracking the progress and what your vet recommends. BTW your baby is beautiful even with those spots :)

Patti
Thank you for that info! I feel like that looks very similar to what he has in his paws. The vet last time said he had yeast in his paws so this article makes sense. I guess we'll have to go back for another visit:( I'll keep u updated. Thanks so much!

Back