Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

YELLING kitten&restless mom

RaisinBambino

Lairian
Hi again to my favorite community. Life has been SUCH a handful since Raisin overall health has improved from the FIP scare we had back in Nov. Anywho, ever since her health has improved, we havent been woken up by her sneezing in the middle of the night.

Now the problem I’m having is her being so active. This used to NEVER be a problem. When the lights go off, she will reduce her hyper-ness and start to settle in bed with my boyfriend&I with no issues and sleep through until we wake up. Feeding hours hasn’t changed. Feed her dry in the morning before I head to work and feed her a can of wet after I get home from work. No change. She normally would sleep through until 12-3pm when my boyfriend would get ready for work.

Now the problem started when my boyfriend left for a business trip. Ever since, Raisin will wake up everyday at 7am and start YELLING. I will open the door to allow her to use the litter box in the other room she will continue to sit there until I feed her which isnt the normal time I do. Once fed&door still left open, she will continue to YELL. If i chose to “try” to go back to sleep or ignore her, she will then run across my face. OR my favorite, when i cover my head with a pillow or blanket, she will sit on top of my head and continue to yell.

I’ve lost SO MUCH sleep this past week. She will wake everyone up including my other 3 fur babies. Its getting ridiculous.

My two thought process to this happening is either I’m not feeding her enough, which i dont think is the reason cause she has quite the pouch belly stomach, or i need to play with her more at night so she’s not so active. Anyone ever had to deal with this problem or have any advice to help my restless nights? Cause I dont think it’s fair that I wake up getting upset at her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaisinBambino

Lairian
0abc58eeb4818a287c44927fea7f2673.jpg

Raisin kneading my leg as I’m posting this

60920d01add402fa5f7339f5b59355ee.jpg

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I can't help I'm afraid but am interested in responses as I'm experiencing a similar problem with Rankle. As soon as it's light he's awake and running over my head and around the room meeping his head off. It's driving me crazy so I feel your pain!

RaisinBambino

Lairian
I can't help I'm afraid but am interested in responses as I'm experiencing a similar problem with Rankle. As soon as it's light he's awake and running over my head and around the room meeping his head off. It's driving me crazy so I feel your pain!

It’s unfortunate that youre dealing with the same problem yet I’m glad I didnt just have a defect monster on my hands. It’s insane how this JUST started happening and its driving me nuts when its an hour or sometimes 15mins before my alarm goes off for work

Toa and Ross

Staff member
What did change when your boyfriend left for business trip? Something different in the daily routine? Different sleeping spot? Less playtime? Other kind of plays?
I would start to play extra with her an half hour before bedtime. If you thinks she’s hungry you could be an automatic feeder that gives food at 7.00.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Awh hugs to both of you ! @MelissaAlice and @Beckinboots

Being active certainly is a plus that t they are feeling good!
Now to address the zoomies amd talking

I like the idea by @Toa and Ross of the auto feeder many members use

The zoomies at bed time as described is definitely a familiar thing with my Girl -
Over my head , stomach face caught more than once a piercing ouch!

Sooo highly recommend the wear them out with a pole toy play at bedtime
I trained my crew like dogs!

Kitties are creatures of habit
so I did the same two things at the same time at bedtime

*A routine of play with @ pole toy and trained to their blanket on the bed

Set up a blanket for each one blanket on my bed - same spot
I kept treats in a jar
After play I would give oe a command “sleepy sleepy time” lol amd shut off the light

Tap on the blanket where I wanted each and put one dry treat (I use a their fod kibble )
on it with praise

I did this as close to the same time every night
Then I random treated on eachs blanket ( a treat thst does not leave crumbs! Or stink )
During kitty boot camp lol

Now they know play , lights off , sleepy sleep time , tap blanket no more treats needed
Tuck them like a burrito amd ahhh sleep!

RaisinBambino

Lairian
@Toa and Ross the only change I'm seeing is that theres more room on the bed. I gravitate more towards the middle of the bed now instead of being smashed against the wall.

@Yoda mom so I've tried that treat method. it seems to get her onto the bed fine but minutes after, she will get back up and wander the room. Then i'll restart and do it again and after a few tries, she settles but I'm not sure if she's understanding the reward. Making her go to bed isn't an issue. It's keeping her in bed and asleep until I get up is the issue. And I'm not even up late either. Mon&Tues I'm up by 9am and Wed&Fri I'm up by 530am. my schedule hasn't changed either

Yoda mom

Staff member
She will get the treat thing
Just takes time

Definitely wear her out with play lol toy before bed
Continued positive vibes!

JSal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I wonder if Rasin is missing your boyfriend. Normally, when you leave for work, she sleeps with him. Does she have a favorite blanket you can wrap her in to keep her warm and toasty? Or your boyfriend’s bed time t-shirt. Sphynx like their men. Hugs.

RoseEllen

Lairian
I think JSal is right... there was a change of circumstances (your bf leaving) and that’s when the change in behaviour began. A similar thing happened when I first got my first sphynx.

He used to sleep through the night either in bed with us or in his own. We got him during a time I was laid off from work, then it was Christmas break so we had several months together where he would be with someone each day. Then I had to go back to work and would leave him for 10 hours a day by himself. He wouldn’t sleep through the night after that... he would lick my face, walk back and forth over me, meow ( and he’s not vocal at all usually ).

I wish I knew what made that behaviour stop. I think some of it was anxiety driven and also that he was sleeping more during the day and just wasn’t tired at night anymore.

We got our second sphynx when he was 5 months old so he would have a buddy... he hasn’t been bad since. Sleeps 8 hours a night spooning me in my bed.

I realize getting another cat isn’t a solution and especially isn’t one for everyone. Try to tire her out and keep up her normal routine as much as possible. She might outgrow that behaviour like mine did...

Back