Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Yoda n Finn Vet Trip

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I hauled both boys off to the vet yesterday. Yoda had started shaking his head and scratching his ear a lot Monday, and @denise irwin came by to visit and said Finn sounded raspier then normal (he has a very chirpy purr). I had also thought he had sounded a bit different but thought I was just a paranoid mama. Finn already weighs 3.7 kg and he isn’t even 5 months! I’m guessing he’ll end up being as big as Yods, who was 5. something kg, I can’t remember the exact weight. The vet thinks Yoda might have allergies as he had some discharge in his ears, more in the right ear he had been scratching. Suggested I feed him only kangaroo for two months. Goodbye income!! Kangaroo costs me $30 for 4 pounds, and the boys combined eat more then 1 pound a day usually. Finn sounded like a slight URI, but the vet didn’t want to prescribe meds, only if sneezing or green discharge appear. Getting both boys to the vet by myself was a challenge all in itself! They were good boys though, always are.
f4c9286a06dac154286dfc56f3a082a8.jpg
cdaff72aa4aeab1ab50f6e1d3acd7509.jpg
5dd3689dc47a9821823976d03b9938a7.jpg

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Glad they were good boys despite a handful juggling them. I don’t recall, but are you using L-Lysine? New babies often bring in new germs and some resident cats can’t quite fight off the foreign getms, so if you feel they start sounding different like laryngitis, or raspy) trust your gut and get another vet check. Hoping it passes. We dealt with it and I believe @Toa and Ross had similar issue and vet prescribed Doxycycline and my guys cleared up fast. @Bailey21

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I hauled both boys off to the vet yesterday. Yoda had started shaking his head and scratching his ear a lot Monday, and @denise irwin came by to visit and said Finn sounded raspier then normal (he has a very chirpy purr). I had also thought he had sounded a bit different but thought I was just a paranoid mama. Finn already weighs 3.7 kg and he isn’t even 5 months! I’m guessing he’ll end up being as big as Yods, who was 5. something kg, I can’t remember the exact weight. The vet thinks Yoda might have allergies as he had some discharge in his ears, more in the right ear he had been scratching. Suggested I feed him only kangaroo for two months. Goodbye income!! Kangaroo costs me $30 for 4 pounds, and the boys combined eat more then 1 pound a day usually. Finn sounded like a slight URI, but the vet didn’t want to prescribe meds, only if sneezing or green discharge appear. Getting both boys to the vet by myself was a challenge all in itself! They were good boys though, always are.
f4c9286a06dac154286dfc56f3a082a8.jpg
cdaff72aa4aeab1ab50f6e1d3acd7509.jpg
5dd3689dc47a9821823976d03b9938a7.jpg
Looks like they had a good trip! Hope all was well. :)

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Catzzzmeow They both get L-Lysine in their raw for breakfast and dinner. I upped Finn's dosage for a few days just in case he's fighting something off. I'll keep a close eye on him and if anything changes, I'll be calling the vet to ask for meds. Yoda is getting ear drops for a week to tackle the discharge, and hopefully only kangaroo diet will help clear his ears as well.

@admin Thank you! :giggle:

Somehow I posted the picture of Finn with that pumpkin, when it was supposed to be the boys waiting on the exam table for the doctor. Whoops!
Yoda Finn Vet.jpg

susi794

Staff member
One pound of raw meat a day sounds like a bit too much food. Usually two 3oz. meals a day per cat is enough. LOL, that would at least stretch your pound to a day and a half.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@susi794 I thought it was a lot too, I can't believe they eat that much. But, everywhere I've read about kittens and raw, says let them eat as much as they can in 20 minutes, 3-4x times a day. Even two 3 oz meals per cat ends up being 12 oz, which is only 4 oz less then 1 pound!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
A pound a day seems high to me fwiw. I was feeding 12 ounces total to my 2 until recently when I upped it to 13 ounces. An ounce is a lot - I can already see a difference and I'm thinking maybe toning it down to 12.5.

But having said that, my white sphynx came to me when she was 1 year old with the appetite of a kitten but just about full grown. She used to eat - get ready - 15 ounces of raw a day by herself.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Condo commando Do you use a scale? I’ve yet to purchase one, but the company I buy the boys food from just started selling their own scale, and I was thinking about purchasing it to get an accurate idea of how much each one actually eats. It would be nice to know

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Condo commando Do you use a scale? I’ve yet to purchase one, but the company I buy the boys food from just started selling their own scale, and I was thinking about purchasing it to get an accurate idea of how much each one actually eats. It would be nice to know

Absolutely! I have a small kitchen scale that does grams as well as ounces so I can get very exact. It lives on the kitchen counter.

Bed, Bath and Beyond carries several of them. Amazon of course. I only paid about $20 and it's lasted so far 5 years. Changed the batteries one time.

Back