Yowling/Box issues | Sphynxlair

Yowling/Box issues

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Questions?' started by Cyovez, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Cyovez

CyovezLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $286.00
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had some more questions.

Stimpy is not neutered yet, since we're still saving up the money for it. But is it normal for him still to be meowing and yowling non-stop? Is breeding season still in affect? It's mostly only when we are trying to sleep, we have a non-standard sleeping schedule, so we head to bed around dawn or very early AM hours usually. That's when he starts yowling and meowing like crazy, pacing the whole apartment. And it's like he wants us to notice him, but then when we try to pay attention to him he runs away and hides. We've tried lots of methods to get him to shush, like spraying him with a water bottle, scolding him by saying NO! and QUIET! as well as closing the door so he can't come in the room at night so he has his own bed and his own cat condo and his own food/water and his own area to sleep in. We also tried letting him sleep with us, like we originally wanted a cat to do, but he just walks all over us and meows in our ears and faces. Is there anything we can get that's cheap to stop him from doing this until we can save up the money for his neuter? The neighbors are complaining to the managers and I don't want to have to give up poor Stimpy or be evicted. I heard about this collar that calms down cats. Does anyone know anything about that collar? Does it work? How much does it cost? Where do you buy it? How long does it last? I am fine with talkative cats, but this is non-stop and at extremely off hours that he doesn't need to be making so much racket during.

Also, how do you get him to stop shoveling out cat litter all over the floor? He has many litter boxes to choose from all over the apartment, and he does this with every one. I've tried only putting a small amount of litter in it, and he still does it. It doesn't matter how much litter is in there, a lot or hardly any, he still does it. I clean them out multiple times daily, so it's not like he needs to scoop away poo or pee clumps, as I do that for him. It's getting really messy, and I hate having to vacuum it every single time he goes to use the litter box, as out vacuum is not meant for picking up kitty litter on the carpet and it just spreads it around all over the place even more. I've never had a cat that would do this, all of our other cats just kept the litter inside of the litter box. And he constantly goes from one litter box to the next, before he decides which one he wants to go potty in. They all have the same litter, Tidy Cats clumping.

Also, now he is going to the bathroom in my dog's litter box, and it's making my dog not want to go potty in it. We have a small breed dog so he is accustomed to using his own litter box, ever since he was a tiny baby, and he does not like the cat using it. I only use puppy wee pads in the dog's litter box, so I'm not sure why the cat is wanting to use his box, when he has tons of his own cat litter boxes. The wee pads aren't really meant for cat pee, as cat pee smells worse than dog pee. My dog has begun to go outside of the litter box right next to it now that the cat has been going in it, even if I change it multiple times a day. How can I get the cat to STOP using the dog's litter box? My dog has always been great about using the litter box until the cat started to use it. I've tried scolding the cat by chasing him away from it and scolding him by saying NO! and swatting him away from it, but he still uses it. Puppy wee pads are expensive, and I hate having to change it so much just because the cat is using it. I only had to change it once per day when my dog was the only one using it. But now I have to change it a lot just because the cat keeps going in it.

Thanks for your help!

2. ckutkuhn7

ckutkuhn7Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $43.00
    Ratings:
    +2,876
    I think your using too many methods of discipline for one. You need to choose one and stick to it. How many litter boxes do you have and how many cats do you have? If you just have the one cat and dog then 2 boxes should be sufficient. Having so many can confuse your cat. And shooing a kitty away from a box regardless if its his or not doesn't sound like a good thing as that can create litter box issues. I would get your doggy a new box since his is already "tainted" with kitty smell. I would find a location for the dogs box and one for the cats box. As far as litter going everywhere, try placing a small area carpet under the box and when litter is thrown out then you can simply pick up that area rug and shake it off into the box. I've never owned a cat that didn't get litter outside of their box so this isnt unusual to me.

How long have you had your kitty? Sounds like you may have a slightly strange sleep schedule which is fine but it may take time for your kitty to get used to it. If your up all night and he is sleeping and then your going to bed when he wakes up then you'll want to start transitioning him to your sleep schedule by playing with him at night. It should also keep him busy enough to quiet the yowling some what.

How old is the kitty? If he is much past 6 months you may end up starting to get a whole new issue of spraying. Neuter isn't something you can hold out on. And he may just be a talkative kitty, fixing him may not exactly fix the meowing and yowling. When Snuffie has something to say she lets the whole house know it! lol

Goodluck and keep us posted.

3. susi794

susi794Moderator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $46,059.92
    Ratings:
    +12,595
    • Scary sphynx
    • Puppy
    • Red Sphynx
    • Pink Sphynx
    • Orange Sphynx
    Forgive me, I know it's not funny to you, but we've all been there and I can't help but chuckle because I remember those days---before my cats trained me to live life their way....back when I thought foolishly that I could control anything. There was an article on howling in Dr. Jon's newsletter --google it and it had some great suggestions as I recall. Try a covered litterb0x or a top entry one. They make less of a mess. I've never heard of the collar you're talking about so am no help there at all. Try using Feliway plug ins--might help.

4. Sleepyheadkitten

SleepyheadkittenSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $26.00
    Ratings:
    +643
    Also, seriously- look up low cost neuter clinics in your area. We now have a low cost clinic that does neuters for $50- and they are clean, efficient, and take good care of the animals- I send everyone that way for neuters (neuters are a very easy surgery).

All of the money you could spend on cleaning supplies and everything else will be more then the cost of a neuter.

5. ckutkuhn7

ckutkuhn7Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $43.00
    Ratings:
    +2,876
    Your right Sleepyhead!! Male neuters are also cheaper than female so you got it a little easier there.

6. Gadzukz

GadzukzV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $36.00
    Ratings:
    +1,219
    We have had the excited digger issues, to solve it we bought a really deep large clear rubbermaid tote from the dollar store to use instead of a standard litterbix, or Susi's covered box idea may work too.

I personally love a talking cat, so am no help there, but Wow he is so loud the neighbors can hear it?? That's a loud kitty, lol

We have a low cost spay neuter here too, it's $40 to fix a male cat! Check with your local shelter, they should know. My only concern would be can they use a sphynx safe anesthetic method?

7. Mews2much

Mews2muchV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $137.00
    Ratings:
    +2,010
    If you can not find a way to alter him soon he will start spraying everything and may not stop.

8. Melonie

MelonieSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $296.00
    Ratings:
    +195
    I got so sick of litter everywhere! I got the really large booda dome with the stairs, its angled so when they kick it around it hardly ever comes out of the box. I also have thought about the top entry types. Goodluck!

9. Cyovez

CyovezLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $286.00
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you to everyone for all of your helpful suggestions! I really appreciate it! He's a great kitty, aside from the few issues he has.

I'm sorry for using too many methods of discipline, it's just that nothing seems to be working so we have to switch tactics. I'm hoping to find even one that will actually work for him. I certainly don't want to be adding to his stress, if he is somehow under stress, but for the life of me, no disciplinary methods seem to be swaying him. He seems to call out in protest, no matter what we try, almost taunting us. I know that's silly, he's probably not taunting us, but it sure seems that way at times.

We only have one cat, just him, as he hates other cats and that is the reason his previous owner said she couldn't keep him, because he would attack her cats.

We have around 10 litter boxes stationed around the apartment. A few people told me to put multiple litter boxes around for him because cats like choices. Plus we have ferrets, so I have to have that many litter boxes so the ferrets will not be as likely to soil on the floors. But while the ferrets are in their kennel, I suppose I can put up the remaining litter boxes so that there is only one litter box for him to use, if you think that would help him.

The cat box is very far away from the dog box, so I'm not sure why he decided to use the dog box. His litter box is all the way over near the bathroom in a corner of the hall, and the dog box is in the kitchen corner.

I know cats will occasionally get litter out of the box, that's not a surprise to me, but this one... He like SCOOPS it out, and SHOVELS it out. I shall try the area rug suggestion, but he FLINGS it, so I'm not sure how well it will help.

I can't remember exactly how long it has been since we got him, but it has been several months at least. Perhaps you are right, maybe he is not used to our sleep schedule yet. Maybe he will calm down in time, though it actually seems to have gotten WORSE since we got him, not better. I'll try to engage him in quiet ways of play, but I don't know how well that will work, as that might rile up the puppy, and we cannot have the cat and dog running over the floor at night, as the other people in the apartment complex are trying to sleep, and have been reporting us for "constant noise" and "floor stomping". We do NOT stomp on the floor and do NOT make much noise, so all I can think of is that when the cat and dog are running around at night playing, they must hear that. So I'm trying to keep the cat and dog quiet at night. We usually wake up anywhere from noon to 4:00pm, so we are up a few hours before we have to start being quiet again, so maybe if I try to get them to play more at around 5:00pm to 6:00pm, it will be okay and hopefully the neighbors will not report us.

I was told that Stimpy is 2 years old from the previous owner, and that he had been bred successfully before. I am certainly willing to allow him to be talkative, but he needs to know that he can be communicative without being disturbing to the entire apartment community. The neighbors shouldn't be able to hear him. And when we are sleeping, there's not much I can say to him except for that "Hey, it's N'night time, no more talking"...

I've been trying hard to save up a little each month to have him neutered. And I'm still searching for discount cat neuter programs. There was one I found last month, but they stopped selling the vouchers last month and I didn't have the money saved up in time. We are still looking though. We need to find one near us, as our car will not make it very far.

I love a talking cat too, but it doesn't need to be non-stop 24/7, especially so loud that the neighbors are reporting us all the time, and especially when we are trying to just get some sleep. Since we've had him, I don't think I've ever gotten a full night's sleep. I'm the type of person that needs to sleep 8 hours through straight, not being woken up at all. Maybe I should try getting some ear plugs, but that still doesn't solve the problem of the neighbors being able to hear him all night and all morning.

Anyhow, thank you again, to everyone, for all of your helpful info and suggestions. I assure you we are still looking for a low cost neuter clinic near us, we're just having a tough time finding one close enough that still sells the vouchers.

10. ilovemysphynx

ilovemysphynxAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $6,040.16
    Ratings:
    +3,086
    • Fish
    • Dragon fly
    • Candy
    Since he has been breed you really do need to get him fixed asap. Also 10 litter boxes sounds like a bit to many options, and must make you crazy.
    I would try the feliway plug in like Susi suggested I hear it works great.
    As far as kicking litter I have the same problem and are looking into a larger box. Deejay our new addition does not cover after he goes potty but I think it is because he is so big that he can't.

11. ckutkuhn7

ckutkuhn7Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $43.00
    Ratings:
    +2,876
    Snuffie doesn't cover after going potty either. She goes through the motions like she is trying but does a very poor job of it. Defintley try that Feliway plug in, I've heard good things about it on here.
    Goodluck with finding a low cost clinic. If you would like help feel free to reach out. What city and state are you located in. I'm sure between the all of us we can help you find one.

12. susi794

susi794Moderator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $46,059.92
    Ratings:
    +12,595
    • Scary sphynx
    • Puppy
    • Red Sphynx
    • Pink Sphynx
    • Orange Sphynx
    Intact male cats--especially one that has been breeding--call. Maybe there is another female in heat somewhere in your building and he can smell her. My neutered retired stud, Moody still calls sometimes, but a lot less since he's been altered.

13. Cyovez

CyovezLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $286.00
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you. I will pick up the other litter boxes when the ferrets are not out then, that way Stimpy only has one litter box to use.

I will try to find this "feliway" you guys have mentioned. I have no idea what it is or what it does or where to find it. Do they sell it at Petsmart? How much does it cost? Does it last forever? Will it affect my rats? All of my rats' cages are right next to the dog's litter box in the kitchen, so I don't want to get that if it will disturb them.

There could be another cat in the building, who knows. I do not know anyone around here, we make sure to keep to ourselves. We are not social people.

We are still looking for a low cost neuter clinic close enough to us that we can take him. We are in Southgate, MI. We can only travel about 20 minutes, as our car cannot make it very far. Plus Stimpy gets diarrhea really, really bad and vomits all over if he ever has to go in the car. It is soooooo smelly! It even makes me vomit.

Thank you again for advising us, everyone! =]

Stimpy has settled down a little bit for now, I think I will try to go to bed now. It's 7:30am, much later than I had hoped to get to bed, but hey, I'll take what I can get! Hopefully he will stay sleeping, or at least quiet. =S

14. ckutkuhn7

ckutkuhn7Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $43.00
    Ratings:
    +2,876
    I'll do some research for you today on the low cost clinic. I'm sitting at home on unemployment so I mine as well do something! lol

As far as the Feliway, I personally haven't used it "yet" but yes its available at PetSmart, they have a plug in that ranges from $28 to $47, I'm assuming for different sized rooms etc..and also a spray that is $31.99.
    It mimics your cats facial pheromones so I doubt that it would affect your rats at all. You can search for it on petsmarts website in the search bar and it will pull up the product information and product reviews. It does not last forever, it suggest to change out the plug in every 30 days. I would say after it runs out you could wait a few days and see if you need anymore. It may help him through the transition. I don't think its something you would have to use non stop unless your kitty is normally just a high stress kitty.

15. MissMySphynxBoys

MissMySphynxBoysGold Lairian Notable Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $411.00
    Ratings:
    +2,259
    I cannot add to the great advice already given, Cyovez, but I do hope things get better for you.

16. ckutkuhn7

ckutkuhn7Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $43.00
    Ratings:
    +2,876
    I sent you a PM cyovez. It contains 5 locatoins within 10 minutes of you that can provide information or do the neuter. 3 of them have actual phone numbers to call, I would focus on them and then contact the others via email if needed. I really hope this information helps.

Also during my search I was on the ASPCA website and found some really good information on meowing and yowling that you may want to read over. It tells you the do's and don'ts of figuring this issue out and some helpful tips of what else you can do. Never hurts to educate yourself.
    Goodluck and keep us posted.

• Like Like x 2
    • Cyovez

CyovezLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $286.00
      Ratings:
      +0
      Thank you very much, Ckutkuhn! That was extremely helpful of you! =D

Also, by "replace" every 30 days... Does this mean pay $28 to $47 every 30 days? o_O;

Thank you also for noting about the articles that have information on meowing and curbing the habit! I will try to find them on the site! =}

• Mug-ys mumma

Mug-ys mummaV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $379.99
      Ratings:
      +585
      I have used the collar on Mug-Y. Not sure where you will find them in the states but over here they are made by a company called Beaphar and are called a Calming Collar.

They contain the same pheremones as the plug in but work on the principle that as you cat is not always in the room with the plug in they don't always get the calm feeling where as if it's round their neck it's with them all the time.

They are £15 here and are breakaway collars for safety.

They last for 30 days at a time ad we could always tell whern they were running out as he got much snappier :Dizzy: it took five collars but now he doesn't wear one and his anxiety is much more controlled. I hope this helps!

X

• Like Like x 2
      • Gadzukz

GadzukzV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
        $36.00
        Ratings:
        +1,219
        • Like Like x 4
        • Jinxlover

JinxloverGuest

Sphynx Bucks:
          $
          Ratings:
          +0
          My friend has a hairy male cat that was BAD,I mean BAD.He would run from door to window to door back and forth like CRAZY. He would yell and scream, it was bad for a while. One day I was over there and she said "well I guess I'm going to have to get him fixed" :Dizzy::Dizzy: You think:LOL:! I thought he was fixed. Once she got him fixed it took about a month but he stopped the calling.. Good luck!:ThumbsUp:

• Sleepyheadkitten

SleepyheadkittenSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
          $26.00
          Ratings:
          +643
          Yeah, it will be per month- which is why I really think you need to concentrate on NEUTERING him first and then the other issues second- because chances are, they will fade away after he is fixed or get a lot better.

And our male calls- and calls- and calls. Good thing he lives with my Mom- hahahaha!

• Jinxlover

JinxloverGuest

Sphynx Bucks:
          $
          Ratings:
          +0

:LOL::LOL:LOL you sound like me. Aren't mom's wonderful...:Hysterical:

• Cyovez

CyovezLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
          $286.00
          Ratings:
          +0
          Thank you for the info about the Calming Collar.

Thanks also for providing the links to the litter boxes which are deeper.

He has already tried to escape the apartment several times, and made it into the hall once. Luckily we are on the third floor, so he couldn't get outside, only in the hall, and we caught him right after.

I tried calling one of the shelters I found, the others were not working properly on the site, but it said to call after six PM, and I missed it. It's almost 10:00pm now. So I will have to try again tomorrow.