Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Yuri's Entropion Update

Kyla L

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So I meant to post this a while ago but with planning our yearly anniversary vacation and working super hard at work I haven't had much time. But I should be back to where I can hang out at the lair more often after this month.

My boy Yuri is completely healed from the surgery on his right eye. The surgery went extremely well and he finally opens his eyes when he walks around now. It has made him into a monster!! Lol He plays so hard now and his climbing has gotten out of hand. He spends most of his time on top of my cabinets either in the kitchen or the laundry room. I have found him on the top of my bowflex and on the shower curtain rod. He also plays with toys almost every single day now, where as before he would barely do more than sleep.

He will have to have surgery on his left eye eventually. It still has goopy eye boogers that pop up every couple of days. You can tell it bothers him once in a while, but my vet wants to wait until he has had a while to heal from the much harder surgery.

My vet said that even though their skin is so soft and thin looking, his skin was actually very very thick and hard to work on.

But here are a few pictures of him after his eye is completely healed.

Attachments

Yoda mom

Staff member
I was jus thinking about Yuri and saw the great update!
Glad he is healed and enjoying being a monster climber!
The top of our kitchen cabinets and elliptical are included here too on the super highway:)

Hugs n kisses from ours to yours!

Yah for great news Yuri!

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
He looks great! So much better!

How come they only did one eye at a time?

I am thinking this is what is wrong with Fluffy too, but now she is ten years old, I probably will not put her through the surgery, I will probably just keep her eyes clear and lubricated. And let her look sleepy. We have monitored her eyes and there are not any corneal abrasions.

Jen

Jebsmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So glad to hear hes doing so much better,thats awesome!

Kyla L

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
He looks great! So much better!

How come they only did one eye at a time?

I am thinking this is what is wrong with Fluffy too, but now she is ten years old, I probably will not put her through the surgery, I will probably just keep her eyes clear and lubricated. And let her look sleepy. We have monitored her eyes and there are not any corneal abrasions.

Jen
They only did the one because it was so bad. The vet said he had never done it on a cat before and didn't know how long it would take. He was in surgery for two hours so they didn't want to extend it. He had to keep slicing off tiny slivers and putting a test stitch in to see if it would pull it to where it needed to be.

And Fluffy looks a lot like Yuri did before the surgery. Eyes always almost closed. And I agree, at her age it is probably more of a risk. It was very hard on Yuri and he is only 1 and a half. If it makes you feel better my vet said that him always keeping his eyes closed helped him from getting ulcers on his eyes and the lack of eyelashes helped more than anything else.

When I clean the goopies out of his left eye he pops it open just as wide as the right and rarely squints anymore. It is just really hard to get a picture because he thinks cameras always flash.

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Has it helped with the itching Kyla?

I am so glad he has made such a great recovery. Now we can see his lovely gold eyes :)

Kyla L

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It has helped with the one side, but the left eye still gets scratched up badly when I take off his nail caps. So until we get it fixed he will still have pretty blue nails. Lol I have to save up money for it so we will probably get it done after the start of next year. And then hopefully he wil be itch free.