Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Zit, Boil, Infection.... Hopefully Vet Tomorrow

OddlyNude

Lairian
Ok so we will start off by saying yes we will be going to the vet tomorrow if our vet can’t get him in we will go to the ER Vet.... Now that I have that off my chest.

yesterday I noticed a black spot on Oscar mouth I had assumed at the time it was food as he has just eaten and did not look at it closer. Today this evening I noticed it was quite a bit more swollen so o wrapped him in a towel and went to go wipe his chin/
Mouth down well it exploded blood and puss came shooting out and it’s clearly very painful for him.

He does get blackheads but never anything like this I am not sure if it’s a electrical burn as he does like to eat phone cords despite us always trying to make sure they are out of reach.

Or maybe it’s just a huge zit that got infected in any case I washed it off and put some vetrycin on it for now hopfully our vet can see him tomorrow.

has anyone ever had anything similar like this ? I’m hoping it’s an easy antibiotic fix

Attachments

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Our one girl gets them some times. Actually this week I popped one. Yes load of blood and puss. I’d keep an eye on it. These guys heal fast. I took her the first time because I was nervous...it does leave what looks like a gaping hole then scabs. The vet said because of it being where it is, it’s best to just let it heal on it’s own. I do not put vetericyn on them because I do not want her to try to keep licking that area letting it heal quicker. If it swell, more since popped or oozes yellow discharge I would see the vet, but as long as it stays down in size, it should look better each day and by 4th day barely noticeable. I popped our girls Monday and you can barely tell now. Yours was definitely bigger than hers this time. If your gut feels it is way worse then go to the vet. Keep us updated on how it is healing. @OddlyNude

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yes, it looks like some kind of pocket of infection to me. These do bleed and puss a lot when cleared out because there are a many small blood vessels in the face.
Let us know what the vet says.
Has your cat been rubbing the area with it's paw or on walls. Sometimes they are bothered by the pressure and try and pop it themselves.
Wishing you both healing

OddlyNude

Lairian
Our one girl gets them some times. Actually this week I popped one. Yes load of blood and puss. I’d keep an eye on it. These guys heal fast. I took her the first time because I was nervous...it does leave what looks like a gaping hole then scabs. The vet said because of it being where it is, it’s best to just let it heal on it’s own. I do not put vetericyn on them because I do not want her to try to keep licking that area letting it heal quicker. If it swell, more since popped or oozes yellow discharge I would see the vet, but as long as it stays down in size, it should look better each day and by 4th day barely noticeable. I popped our girls Monday and you can barely tell now. Yours was definitely bigger than hers this time. If your gut feels it is way worse then go to the vet. Keep us updated on how it is healing. @OddlyNude
Looks like I overreacted vet said to just let it be he extracted what was left (cat did not like that) and the told me to keep area clean with alcohol wipes for 3 days if anything changes come back but it was 90% down the next morning he will he fine haha

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
It’s okay to overreact...we live and we learn. I know I overreacted the first time too but now I just let it heal up. You did right in immediately getting a vet appointment and trusting your gut. It can look quite gruesome especially after the blood and puss. This community shares experiences, but is not a substitute for a vet. It’s crazy how fast these guys can heal. Thanks for updating us @OddlyNude

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk