Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Problems with my fur babies

sbrownw

Lairian
Hi everyone! I know I'm always posting but I'm always looking for info and advice and I love this site because you wonderful people help me so much.

As some of you know, I adopted a baby Sphynx about two months ago. I have a three year old Devon who hated him at first, and then they would always play together and everything was fine.

Well as Tobin (the kitten) has grown, he's started to become a bit of a bully and has beat up on my three pound dog, and Mischka (my Devon Rex) quite a bit. I try to stop him as often as I can but I can't always have a watchful eye on him.

In the past week, Mischka has started growling at him :( it makes me very sad because I feel like Tobin is making his life a living hell and I adopted him to keep Mischka company... Mischka is very stressed out. He seems to be watching his back everywhere he goes around the house. If he is in the litter box and Tobin hears the litter, Tobin will go mess with him. It's gotten to the point where I've put Tobin in a room at night just so mischka feels safe and can relax. I feel so bad. and to top it off, mischka has started getting a really round, hard belly. It's not fat, he seems very bloated with air. :( he's eating fine, eliminating fine, acting not himself but I think it's because Tobin is being a little poop head. I'm wondering if stress could cause his upset tummy and if Tobin would be the stresser. Mischka's also been scratching his neck so badly that he cuts himself open :( i also think it could be stresa.

I've recently spent a ton of money at the vets, (Tobin had prolonged diarrhea, had emergency surgery, shots, boosters, my dog had a bone cancer scare, etc) and I've learned not to rush to the vet immediately because lately I haven't been getting many answers from the vets. Just a "it could be this, could be that, here's some antibiotics..." Which haven't fixed anything.

I don't think Mischka hates Tobin. Sometimes they cuddle, and I think he likes him when he's relaxed but that's hardly ever.. Is there anything I can do to make it a little less stressful for Mischka? Anything I can give him for bloating?

Attachments

• 20150711_091649.jpg
    20150711_091649.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 28
  • 20150712_090418.jpg
    20150712_090418.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20150629_154054.jpg
    IMG_20150629_154054.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 26

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@sbrownw : sorry to hear Tobin is causing so much stress for Mischka. I'm no expert in this kind of situations so I can only give my first thoughts:
Is Tobin neutered? If not maybe that can calm him a little.
Do you use a spray (felliway) to calm and relax? Some cats react great on it, some don't react at all but you could try
You write that Tobin comes rushing in when he hears Mischka using the litter. Is Mischka still pooping normal? Maybe he can't poop normal anymore and has obstipation what can cause the tummy to be upset

Hope others with more experience will chime in!

And keep on posting:). We're all on the lair for info, advice or just to talk about our sphynx and other pets!

Ps on the photos it looks like Mischka and Tobin are best friends. If Mischka would be really having problems with the behavior of Tobin I think he would never cuddle with Tobin like Mischka is doing on the photo!

sbrownw

Lairian
@sbrownw : sorry to hear Tobin is causing so much stress for Mischka. I'm no expert in this kind of situations so I can only give my first thoughts:
Is Tobin neutered? If not maybe that can calm him a little.
Do you use a spray (felliway) to calm and relax? Some cats react great on it, some don't react at all but you could try
You write that Tobin comes rushing in when he hears Mischka using the litter. Is Mischka still pooping normal? Maybe he can't poop normal anymore and has obstipation what can cause the tummy to be upset

Hope others with more experience will chime in!

And keep on posting:). We're all on the lair for info, advice or just to talk about our sphynx and other pets!

Ps on the photos it looks like Mischka and Tobin are best friends. If Mischka would be really having problems with the behavior of Tobin I think he would never cuddle with Tobin like Mischka is doing on the photo!

Tobin isnt neutered yet, he will be five months on Sunday and I'm getting him neutered asap! I'm really hoping that calms him down because he is the craziest kitten I've ever met!

I've never heard about the spray. Where do I get it? What do I spray with it?

The constipation could be true but I've seen him potty a few times. I'll have to keep more of an eye on mischka and him to make sure he's pottying whenever he wants to.

When I see them cuddle my heart melts!! That's exactly what I wanted when I adopted tobin. It gives me hope that once tobin calms down they'll be better together. Thank you for your advice!!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@sbrownw : You have Feliway in al different kinds. You can use a diffuser that disperse a pheromone in your house what makes cats calm down. You also have collars with feliway (on feliway.com you can read more). I used it for my dog and it works really well. For some pets it works great, for some not. Maybe you can try if it works for Tobin and Mischka?

Hope there will be more and more cuddle time every day!

JenniSaysMeow

Lairian
I have a feliway diffuser in almost every outlet and use the spray as well. I found the knockoff brand didn't work as well for me. It's amazing the difference. I have one cat that would pee everywhere and pull out all her fur. She was bullied so bad. Now all 4 of mine sleep together and don't necessarily like each other, but there are not fights going on and no one acts stressed. Good luck!!!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@sbrownw , Awh.. Hopefully things will settle once Tobin is neutered..
I adopted a male kitty and had Him neutered and after a few weeks he settle more-
I bought these in bulk pack here which seemed to be the least expensive way to go if you have the diffuser already-

No frills packaging saved.

Fwiw , My Toby just sniffed the diffuser and still was a wild child :)
So not sure if it worked but I know the neutering helped the most! Want to nip it in the butt before he starts spraying too..

I would try distracting with pole toy playing at the same time-
Believe me, my "Toby love" had a few time outs till all his hormones were clear after his neuter :)

I would definitely closely watch Mischka potty routine, output , consistency - when in doubt go with gut and check call your vet to make sure he is okay- stress can have effects on their systems

I would also make sure to put out extra litter boxes in various rooms so Mischka feels safe going potty

Yoda mom

Staff member
@sbrownw , checking in on Mischka's tummy bloating ? And Tobin ( glad the new food is working for him)Any updates? Has Mischka been chowing down eating a lot of the new food too?
Forgot to ask if Mischka is neutered?

Sending positive vibes your way!, you have had one heck of a stressful time recently (((hugs for health))
For all!

sbrownw

Lairian
Mischka is still bloated :( saw him munch on some food today, and poo regularly. He is neutered.
Thank you for all the advice and positive vibes! If he starts not acting like himself I'm going to take him to the vet

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
If he is not acting normal, but pooping and still bloated, I would have him looked at. The growling you originally mentioned might mean Mischka does not feel well and not just because he is annoyed with Tobin.

If it turns out Mischka is well and just upset, you might need to look for more vertical space for them to climb. It is important cats do not feel they have to share everything as many seek alone time. Do you have 2 beds 2 trees etc...?

Patti

sbrownw

Lairian
If he is not acting normal, but pooping and still bloated, I would have him looked at. The growling you originally mentioned might mean Mischka does not feel well and not just because he is annoyed with Tobin.

If it turns out Mischka is well and just upset, you might need to look for more vertical space for them to climb. It is important cats do not feel they have to share everything as many seek alone time. Do you have 2 beds 2 trees etc...?

Patti

I have three giant cat trees, (seven feet tall) and six cat beds scattered.. Three litter boxes. The problem is Tobin now can climb, so Tobin can go anywhere mischka can :( besides the kitchen table which I'm trying to discourage mischka to not go on...

sbrownw

Lairian
So I started reading symptoms online (never a good thing because it freaks me out and I get so worried) and I read about FIP. One of the symptoms is laziness, and also bloated tummy :( he is vaccinated for FVCRP until December 12th 2015, so he couldn't get that right? Also, I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but my ferret had a bloated stomach for about two weeks and it went away and now he's fine. Any relation? I'm going to be calling my vet in half an hour to see what she thinks

Toa and Ross

Staff member
So I started reading symptoms online (never a good thing because it freaks me out and I get so worried) and I read about FIP. One of the symptoms is laziness, and also bloated tummy :( he is vaccinated for FVCRP until December 12th 2015, so he couldn't get that right? Also, I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but my ferret had a bloated stomach for about two weeks and it went away and now he's fine. Any relation? I'm going to be calling my vet in half an hour to see what she thinks

You're so right! Never search on internet cause you find the most horrible deseases. Laziness and a bloated tummy can be caused be a lot of things, including stress. You also mentioned the scratching of his neck. And that's not a symptom fip.
But still it can be a good idea to go to the vet to let Miscka checked.

Please let us know what the vet thinks! Sending positive vibes to you!

Back