Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

DOUBLE TROUBLE?

Karen Proulx

Lairian
We have a sphynx, Marty Mcfly that will be one year old in a few days and a furry cat, Bear that is almost 8 years old. Bear is pretty tolerant of Marty's shenanigans. But Marty is into Everything!
I have been thinking about getting a second sphynx to keep Marty company and hopefully out of trouble.
My question is: will a second sphynx help or will it be Double the trouble?
If a second spynx is good, do I get a kitten or one similar in age?

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I will tell you the answer in about 2 weeks. My new kitten is coming home tomorrow to a feisty 5 year old sphynx named Emma Leigh...LOL

I was torn on getting a kitten or an older sphynx, but went with the kitten because I am praying my Emma we be motherly to her and the kitten will be less set in her ways.

I am sure you will see my posts on insanity soon :p

assibassi

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
hmmmmmmmmmmmm it could go both ways ........

We have a cornie and he was 10 years old and we needed a pal for him. We tried Forstering a 1 year old cat and it was NOT a good night, we had to bring the 1 year old back to the other Forster place. My Cornish Rex hissed and groweld at the 1 year old like i never heard a cat growl and hiss before. LOUD . All night ! So we went with a kitten in hopes that his fatherly love comes out. And it did ! He is SOoooooooo tolerant about his shennanigans.....
we just rescued a 6 year old sphynx girl and she kicks both of their butts. LOL Oh and the Sphynx boy ( now 1 year old ) and the new Girl ( 6 years old ) are monkey see - monkey do's !!

BUT I LOVE THEM !! haha they make me laugh daily !

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I got Hairry to help Curly get over her clingy ness... it took a while for Curly to warm up to him but they are best buds now. They play, sleep and eat together all the time. When we brought Violet into the mix in March Curly and Hairry have there own click and not the same relationship. It can go either way but I am sure they will love the company. Our hairy cats don't want anything to so with the nakkid so I think all three of the nakkids have a bond.

Karen Proulx

Lairian
I am sure we will get another spynx! We have 2 males now. ( one furry and one naked) any suggestions about male or female for the next family member?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
How fun to even think about getting another baby. As always the adjustment period can be challenging, but within a couple of weeks things usually settle down. We got a second kitten approx 6 months apart and we are so happy we did. Our Jouët is a hand full...she plays hard and she needed a partner in crime. She is a psycho kitty, go go go. There are times they go nuts but it is so much fun to see them playing and hiding and chasing each other. They are besties and they really keep each other company while leaving the 2 older male cats alone.

There is no right or wrong in what sex to get. You might enjoy getting a little girlie and that would be new for you. I always swore by males, but now see it is really about the individual cat more than sex in my eyes. Personally I think getting a kitten helps with establishing the natural pecking order. Kittens learn fast where they stand and less challenging of each other when they are first brought in to the home.

Let us know what you do! Enjoy the journey!

Patti

Karen Proulx

Lairian
How fun to even think about getting another baby. As always the adjustment period can be challenging, but within a couple of weeks things usually settle down. We got a second kitten approx 6 months apart and we are so happy we did. Our Jouët is a hand full...she plays hard and she needed a partner in crime. She is a psycho kitty, go go go. There are times they go nuts but it is so much fun to see them playing and hiding and chasing each other. They are besties and they really keep each other company while leaving the 2 older male cats alone.

There is no right or wrong in what sex to get. You might enjoy getting a little girlie and that would be new for you. I always swore by males, but now see it is really about the individual cat more than sex in my eyes. Personally I think getting a kitten helps with establishing the natural pecking order. Kittens learn fast where they stand and less challenging of each other when they are first brought in to the home.

Let us know what you do! Enjoy the journey!

Patti
Thanks Patti, great advice. I am thinking a second kitten will keep our older furry cat sane!

Mrs Biggleworth

Lairian
Hi, I have a 13 year old Oriental and a 1 year old Sphynx Boy. They both get along but my Sphynx is a little too active for my old boy so I am getting a female Sphinx (My Gotcha day will be Christmas Eve here is Australia) to keep my boy company and hopefully give my old by some space.... So I am confident this will work.

Karen Proulx

Lairian
Hi, I have a 13 year old Oriental and a 1 year old Sphynx Boy. They both get along but my Sphynx is a little too active for my old boy so I am getting a female Sphinx (My Gotcha day will be Christmas Eve here is Australia) to keep my boy company and hopefully give my old by some space.... So I am confident this will work.
Your boy is very handsome! Good luck with your new girl

Mrs Biggleworth

Lairian
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383718227.977186.jpg

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sometimes it's double the trouble but mostly it's double the fun & love! I don't regret adding a second one to our home one bit.
Getting a kitten is probably easier as far as adjustment goes, but if you find an older one and you feel like you're up for it, just follow your gut & heart :)

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Double Trouble! LOL. My older cat (and my dogs) always have a much easier time accepting baby animals more than adults. I think its maybe that babies arent showing any domination or posturing?

Karen Proulx

Lairian
image.jpg
So I took the plunge! This is our new boy "Calvin" he is 12 weeks old. Took some adjusting for Marty but they are bonding now❤️.
We have not decided on a name yet. The breeder called him Calvin. I might keep it cause it means small bald one!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Ohhh was a cutie. Congrats! Calvin is a cute name should you decide not to change. See if it feels right. Hope he continues to settle in.

Patti

Back