Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

First time cat owner with questions

KitKat121

Lairian
In a couple of weeks I'm adopting a Sphynx! Incredibly excited...but with it I'm very anxious and feel a bit lost. I've never owned any type of cat before (parents are avid dog lovers) and while I've done plenty of research and am confident on knowing how to maintain an overall well being for a sphynx, I'm seeking any advice (from your own experiences) to furthermore improve my cats well being, including suggestions for cat litter, ways to prevent my sphynx from getting into a trouble and some unexpected situations I might run into. I would appreciate any advice from experienced sphynx owners!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Oh the wait to Gotcha Day is a killer, but you are right. It is the perfect time to read up on the breed and great tips. Take a look at the section called Sphynx Information Center...it is loaded with the best of the best.

Patti

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@KitKat121 : if you have the same way of think as I have you'll get more nervous every day gotcha day comes closer. When I decided to get two sphynx boys I was sure I could take care of them. The day I signed to take them I thought: what am I doing? Sphynx are so vulnerable, I can't take care of them. And every day till gotcha day I worried a little more and thought of new things I probably wouldn't be able to. And then Gotcha day came and...My boys were just so happy and easy going. Of course I still had a lot of worries and questions. I just ask my questions here and try to take care of my boys as best as possible. And so will you. You will be a great mommy!

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Probably the only unexpected situation I ran into with Frida was her busyness. I had owned several cats before her, but never a Sphynx. She is a very smart girl with a lot of energy, and though I was told that Sphynx were like this I didn't fully understand until she was home. She was into everything. She still is. I no longer leave small to medium sized items on surfaces and I never forget playtime. Ever. There is a great episode of "my cat from hell" that illustrates the busyness as well as some great ways to deal with some of this behaviour. Search Season 1 episode 2 on utube. Don't let it scare you this busyness is also fun and part of what makes owning a Sphynx unique.

KitKat121

Lairian
Thanks everyone! Another quick question, I know when I pick my baby up he's already going to be nuertered, but am I supposed to ask if they're going to do an hcm scan too? Also, I'm clueless about this l-lysine thing. I know it's for cat herpes and allergies, is that something the vet handles or me?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@KitKat121 Babies are not HCM scanned. It is the breeding cats that should be scanned annually. You should ask for proof of the 2 scans for your records. The earliest most suggest a kitten to be scanned is usually at 1 years of age. L-Lysine is a supplement. You can buy it right on Amazon. It comes in several different forms...treats...which are most expensive, a paste type and then the powder form which is the least expensive. We stick with the powder form here and add to their wet food.

Patti

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I can completely understand. I am going through the house trying to cat proof everything before my little one is here. Reading anything and everything possible of what to expect. This site is great! It is filled with information and everyone is very positive :) Certainly makes asking questions easier.

Back